Friday 5 April 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 5 April 2024 - Friday Smiles

Hello lovely peeps,

At the moment I am on holiday with my daughter Tracey on the Costa Almería. We are staying in a hotel in Garrucha. So lots to smile about. But more of that later. Let me show you my postcard:

Annie will immediately recognise it! If I'm not mistaken, she doesn't live from from there. 
The church bottom left is Shrewsbury Abbey, the building on the right is the town hall and the lovely old house top left is Rowley House.

Read more about this house here.

On the card, the building on the right is called the Town Hall, but that same building on the Internet is called  the Market Hall. I'm sure Annie will put me out of my misery:
Here seen from the other side.

Shrewsbury Abbey: 


There has been a place of worship on this site since Anglo-Saxon times. The Abbey was founded as a Benedictine Monastery by Roger de Montgomery in 1083 on the site of an existing Saxon church. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the reign of King Henry VIII the part of the Abbey building which survived continued as a Parish Church – as it is to this day.


When Shropshire author Ellis Peters (whose real name was Edith Pargeter) wrote the historic murder mysteries The Cadfael Chronicles (later turned into the TV series Cadfael) she was inspired by medieval Shrewsbury and made Shrewsbury Abbey the home of her fictional hero, the Benedictine monk Brother Cadfael.

The stamp is a British stamp with Queen Elizabeth II on it:



I am writing this in a hotel in the Almería province in southern Spain. After I collected my daughter at the airport, we went to Almería capital to walk along the boulevard and have (a late) breakfast in the sun. I took this picture of her by the 'Indalo', the symbol of Almería:

We then drove north along the coast to Garrucha (about an hour's drive), which is where we will spend 5 nights.

I'll leave it here. Of course there will be some funnies at the end as this is Friday Smiles.

Have a lovely weekend, and be sure to read about more smiles at Annie's .

Keep smiling,

Lisca






























 

7 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Have fun with your daughter Lisca. And I'm glad you mentioned the Ellis Peter's books because I am just about to start one. I feel like I am more prepared now. :) Enjoy. hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great postcard pics of Shrewsbury looks like a place I would like to visit. I've been to Almeria but it's a very long time ago. Your daughter looks lovely and by the look of the weather you'll both have a good time. Sending best wishes and hugs for you both, Angela xxx

mamapez5 said...

Ah, I recognised your postcard too Lisca as Shrewsbury was almost my home town before I came out here. We lived in Oswestry just 20 minutes away from Shrwsbury. I have been to the Abbey to hear my son sing with his school. It is a lovely old town.
I hope you have a great time down in my neck of the woods this week. You are of course, staying very near me, but I am sure you have plenty that you want to do and see. But if you find youselves at a loose end, you know where we are.
If you want a church for Sunday there is the one at Mojacar, (Drive along Mojacar sea-front and continue towards Carboneras and it is on a little hill on the right. Probably a good idea to google it as it is not obvious from the road), or our church at Llanos, (now much easier to get to with the new stretch of motorway. Turn off at junction 82 I think, for Cucador. But there is no priest at either church until the next locum arrives on Monday so both churches will have a prayer and praise service.
I hope the geode proves to be worth the visit. I am a bit too claustraphobic to visit it myself. Kate x

Annie said...

Oh how lovely. We have had coffee many times in the old Market Hall...there's a lovely little cinema there too :-) There is a photo in the Abbey taken during the floods many years ago with a little boat rowing up the middle of the Abbey...it's my Father in law in the boat :-)
We met Ellis Peters and my daughter has a book signed by her...lovely lady.
Have a wonderful holiday'
Hugs,
Annie x

Spyder said...

Love the funnies! Hope you had a great Easter and so sorry for such a late T for Tuesday! Here's wishing you a very happy weekend! ((Lyn))

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the church or the name of the street so I can Google the church in Mojacar please. Can I park there? I know Mojacar is a nightmare for parking.

Mae Travels said...

We visited Brother Cadfael’s church once years ago, and we were amused to see a stained-glass window dedicated to him. Obviously it was made and installed recently since he’s entirely fiction made up by Ellis Peters. (I’ve read all the books& seen the TV show, by the way.) In fact, the church could afford the new window because of donations by the tourists who love these books. Sort of a lovely circle.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com