Friday 10 March 2023

A Postcard A Day / Friday 10 March 2023 / Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

How are you all? I am fine apart from a 'stinking cold'. It started Tuesday and I still haven't shifted it so I'm taking Paracetamol with decongestants to get through the day. I always have lots of things on my to-do list. Top of the list today is writing a blog post. 

So here I am with another postcard which will make you smile. At first it doesn't look very funny or interesting as it is a beautiful drawing (or painting?) of an owl:

I have just read on the back of the card that it is acrylic on woodpanel (2018). As far as I can tell the artist is Matt Adrian, 
The title of the artwork is: 'Administering annihilation Via Flamboyant Prestidigitation'. How's that for a title!
I had no idea what prestidigitation meant. I had to look it up: 
Prestidigitation is the process of doing a magic trick by hand, also called "sleight of hand." Do you see digits in prestidigitation? Digits are your fingers, so someone skilled at prestidigitation has some tricky fingers.
Matt Adrian wrote a book called The Mincing Mockingbird Guide to Troubled Birds:
who wrote a book called The Mincing Mockingbird Guide to Troubled Birds. 













A humorous, illustrated, pocket field guide describing where to find—or where to avoid—the most disturbed North American birds. The Mincing Mockingbird Guide to Troubled Birds allows anyone to quickly identify psychotic, violent or mentally unstable bird species—and provides the perfect gag gift for your bird loving (or fearing) friends and family. 


Some examples from the book:


It's a strange sense of humor which might not be to everyone's taste.

The stamp on the card was nearly annihilated too.





The post stamp reads Sheridan, WY but the card was sent to Barbados by mistake and eventually came to me after a long round trip. That also made me smile. I've had mail sent to Grenada (also in the Caribbean) as it is easy to confuse with Granada.  But Barbados is a first.

I hope that my card and the wry humor of the author has made you smile. I'm going to join Annie at A Stitch In Time. I'll see you there. 

What have I been up to?
Well, I have had visitors from Brazil (see also my Tuesday blog)
The almond trees are in blossom.
And we cooked some nice meals
I took my friends to the lake (reservoir) which is worryingly empty. Compare with my header photo taken some years ago.

Of course it was International Women's Day on Wednesday the 8th. It is widely celebrated in Italy and also here in Spain. Our local Women's association had things organized but I had a bad cold so I didn't attend any of it.


I saw last week that Kate had bought some violas. When I saw some for sale at Lidl, I couldn't resist! And now I have some gorgeous yellow violas. Only I have to keep them indoors for a while as our climate is much colder than where Kate lives.

Sorry they were 'hanging' a bit after transport in a shopping bag, but they are looking gorgeous now.

I have a lovely weekend to look forward to as my stepson is coming over from the UK to be with me for a few days (He'll be leaving again on Monday).

I'll leave it at that I will try to find some more funnies and a few more 'angry birds' at the end.

Bye for now, have a great weekend,

Keep smiling,

Hugs,

Lisca



The rest of my funnies wouldn't load so i add a few of Matt Adrian art. If it's not your cup of tea, look away now!




































6 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I love owls, esp after I read the book on Wesley, good book.
But the one you show sounds hilarious! :-)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Pleased you've had a good week. I have to be quick today as I'm taking the dogs for a hair cut but will pop back later to have a better read. Have a good weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

Sorry to hear youre feeling rough.....hope it goes soon so you can enjoy your visitors...have fun.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

Sorry you are still a bit under the weather. I hope you can shake it off soon.
That is a lovely painting on your card. It sure did a long trip to get to you but at least it did arrive in the end.
I am glad you found the violas. They are so sweet. And they are very forgiving too, and always buck up with a drop of water if I have ignored them for too long.
I have been to Lake Negratin several times but I have never seen the water levels that low. It is rather worrying so early in the year.
I obviously have the right sense of humour to appreciate your birds from the book. Hope you feel better very soon. Kate x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm like Kate. I have that same sense of humor and totally appreciated the bird humor. That postage stamp (and postcard) took the long way around to get to you. It's good you've seen the stamp before, and this time with a Barbados cancellation!

Sorry you have not been well. I hope you get well in time to enjoy your stepson. At least you had a good visit with your Brazilian friends.

The International Women's Day was celebrated in the states, too. Many U.S. women met in Abu Dhabi, along with First Lady of Ukraine, Olena Zelenska. Not a typo.

Hope you feel better soon and have a super weekend and week ahead.

CJ Kennedy said...

So sorry you were feeling under the weather. I hope you're feeling better now. The angry bird funnies just tickled my warped sense of humor. Happy T Day