Tuesday 28 February 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 28 February 2023 - T for photos, Andalucia and a busy life

  •  Hello lovely ladies,
  • How wonderful to see you all again at the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard. I have some drink related images ready for you a bit further on when I tell you what I have been doing this past week. (And that always involves eating and drinking and will be photo heavy). I will also show you one of my postcards and as today is Andalucia Day, I will tell you a little about this country I live in. 
  • But first the postcard:

It is not a postcard I received, but a postcard I picked up at the opening of an exhibition I went to on Thursday. It was a photographic exhibition of photos by Juan J. Marquez, who was in our photoclub. 
I'm writing 'was' because he unexpectedly died of a heart attack  in December. Very sad. The exhibition showed images he photographed in Granada city and the title Urbanitas translates roughly as 'urbanites'. 
The exhibition is being held in a historic building in old Granada called Corrala de Santiago. I have showed you photos of it before.
It was evening when I went there but I will show some photos taken in daylight.
(Photo from the internet)
(Another photo from the internet). But the next one is mine
This is the beautiful old floor of the inner patio.
The exhibition was in a side room of the building, but this is where we came in and where the official part of the opening was being held.


Now on to something else. Today is a national holiday here in southern Spain. It's Andalucia Day. Widely celebrated all over Andalucia, which is an independent region of Spain with its own government.  Andalucia is quite large.
In size it is the size of Hungary, or Austria. For our American friends it would be the size of Maine or Indiana. Or slightly bigger than South Carolina.

The flag of Andalucia:


The Andalusia Day is celebrated in 28 February and commemorates the 28 February 1980 referendum on the Statute of Autonomy of Andalusia, in which the Andalusian electorate voted for the statute that made Andalusia an autonomous community of Spain.
With over eight million inhabitants, Andalucia is the largest autonomous community in terms of population and the second-largest in area. The Andalucian autonomous community is officially recognised as a nationality within Spain.

So what has my week been like? On Tuesday my friends Kim and Andy came and as promised I made cheese and onion pasties. (Recipe here)
And I baked an apple cake:
In the evening me and my friend Antonia went to a talk and taste about lambs meat. I have featured that on my Friday blog, but here is one photo of me with  Antonia and her daughter plus friend:
On Thursday me and Kim had a hair appointment in Baza. We took some before and after photos. 
Before:
And after a good tidy-up (and cut):
After that we met up with Andy who had done the shopping in the meantime and we went for a drink and a tapa:
I had an alcohol-free beer as I like the taste and the bread rolls were the tapas that came free with the drink.
I think these beers will be my qualifier for the T-Party.

When we got back home, my neighbour Serafin was sat outside weaving baskets out of esparto grass. 
This will be a basket to collect eggs in, he told me.
I love it that these old crafts are still being practiced.

On Friday my friend Dian and I went to Baza to look at furniture. I want to buy a new sofa. 
It's going to look a bit like this. 
I can choose the material and the colour. I haven't ordered yet. I have rearranged the furniture in my living room as a mock up to the new situation. If I like it, I will order next week.

On Saturday there was a fellowship lunch (bring and share) at David and Patricia's for the English speaking Christians in our area. There was so much lovely food. 

I made a cheese cake. It's not visible on the table as the sweet things were on another table.
We had a lovely time and after lunch there was a Bible study. I really enjoyed myself.

On Sunday I went to church. One of the children had a birthday and had brought a cake to share (we are a very small congregation). No children in the photo as I haven't had the chance to ask the parents' permission.
The writing on the wall reads: "Jesús dijo: Yo soy el Camino, la Verdad y la Vida". In English that is: Jesus said: I am the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14 verse 6).

On Monday Patricia came to my house to help me move furniture for the mock up to see how it would look if the sofa was on the opposite side.


and then we went to town to look at the sofa I had looked at when I was with Dian and she discussed with the sales lady how we could shorten it as it was just that little bit too long for my small living area. Afterwards we went for coffee and breakfast.

That was my week. I won't mention the weather as it has been cold with a bit of wet snow, but I feel really  blessed to have lots of lovely friends. 

Wishing you all a happy T-Day,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca
How was your week?
























12 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

It sounds like you've had a great week Lisca. At least it comes to food and friends. Your haircut looks great also. I need mine cut also, but I still need to wait a week for my appointment. And that's fascinating how your neighbor who weaves baskets. It looks like he does an amazing job. And you'll have to let us know if you get a new couch. Have a super T day, lovely week ahead and start to March. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Interesting post-you have had a busy week but sounds like a good week with friends. all the food looks delicious, I need a hair cut too. we have had some teaser days with spring temperatures here then it gets cold and rainy again. Your new couch sounds like it will be nice-if you decide to get it. Happy T Lisca Hugs Kathy

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Andalusia Day! Sounds like a fascinating history. The food looks delicious, and the couch looks comfy. Happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

It is so good to see you surrounded by so many lovely friends Lisca. Such good food that you made or got out and about.. Thanks so much for sharing this T day! Hugs! deb

CJ Kennedy said...

Your friends are such lovely treasures. All that food! And it's still 4 hours until supper time! 😺I like the sectional you chose. I hope we get to see the color and fabric, too. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You do more things with friends in a day than I do in a month. You are so blessed to have the friends who make sure you are not left alone. What a great, albeit sad postcard. Nice to pay homage to someone you actually knew.

I enjoyed learning about the history of Andalusia Day. Wonderful to learn about it.

I hope you get the exact couch you want.

Wow. All the food. All the drinks. Food with friends, food with congregation, food, food, food, and lots of drinks, too. Thanks for sharing your new haircut, your postcard, Andalusia Day, shopping for your new couch, your food, and various drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Failed to publish. I'll keep trying, though.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Lisca, what a busy week you had! I love your apple cake, looks delicious and the man who makes the egg baskets, what a skill,amazing. Hope you enjoy your new sofa., Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Carola Bartz said...

It is indeed wonderful that you have such lovely friends. I was interested what you wrote about Andalusia, and I wonder whether they also have their own dialect that differs from Spanish? The sofa looks comfy, I especially like the "long" end - I always love to put up my feet.

Kate Yetter said...

You had a very busy week, Lisca. I loved seeing all the activities and the food that you made. I have always wanted to make pasties and apple cake is a favorite of mine!
The sofa looks very attractive and hopefully very comfortable.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

The cheese and onion pasties and apple cake look wonderful. So happy you have a church to go be with other Christians. Great info about the postcard. Lovely friends and lovely before and after photos. Happy T Day.

DVArtist said...

What a wonderful post. I do like your hair. That sofa looks lovely. OMGosh you get those free (hot dogs) with the drink? That's great. Yes, you have some good friends. Have a lovely day.

pearshapedcrafting said...

A fabulous post, especially the sharing food with friends part! We are looking for a new sofa or maybe two small ones...no decision made yet, Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx