Friday 10 February 2023

A Postcar a Day - Friday 10 February 2023 - Friday Smiles

Hello lovely ladies, This is going to be short and sweet as I am in bed with the 'mother of all colds'. My nose started running last night and it got worse from there. I am sitting up in bed with my laptop and an enormous (industrial) kitchen  roll to use as tissues. I make myself hot drinks with lemon and honey and take Paracetamol. What more can I do but sit it out.

But we're here to share some smiles and you all know that a postcard in my mailbox will make me smile.

This is my postcard for today:

It comes from Poland and has no info on it as to who the photographer is. But the image is about books, lots of books in an old bookshop or library. One of those places I'd love to spend time....

The stamps are pretty:

It reads: 'Birds of Argentinia and Poland'. 
The Rusty Potter (Furnarius rufus) and the Crested Tit or European crested tit (Lophophanes cristatus)
Both species of birds build unusual structures worth mentioning. The Rusty Potter's nest is made of reeds and silt, very much like a closed clay pot or a bread oven. 



The male and female incubate the eggs and care for the chicks. 
The crested tit as a medium-sized breeding bird is under strict species protection in Poland. To build its nests, it uses rotten trees in which it drills hollows. 


An interesting fact is that the crested tit gathers food for the winter, which it presses into the cracks of the bark on the tree, where it has hollows, or into the moss covering it. They are located low above the ground (usually up to 1.5 m) and are lined with moss, grasses and lichens, and topped with bristles and fur. 

That is it from me. Lights out, I'm going to try and get some sleep if my stuffy nose will let me.
Have a great weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

















7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, you're right you just have to stick with it. Get plenty of rest and the cold should start to ease in a few days. loving the new post card and the sign are so funny. Someone has a great sense of homour. Take care and have a restful weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

mamapez5 said...

Sorry you are under the weather this week. Warm in bed sounds like the best place to be. I hope you feel better soon. Kate x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to read you are not well. Bed rest is the best medicine. Feel better really soon, dear.

That postcard is wonderful. Love the bookstore image. Those postage stamps really impressed me.

Those vet signs are as funny as the ones I shared this week. Please get lots of rest and beat that cold soon, dear.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi again Lisca. You can't live in Lincoln and not be fairly close to an airforce base. The Red Arrows are at Waddington now but were at Scampton. They are doing a lot of flights at the moment preparing for the King's coronation. Some of the pilots left and one was actually dismissed sadly due to was was said to be inappropriate behaviour. I have no idea what they were gettin g up to! This was last year and they have been training the new team members. The other main base is Cranwell that trains officers. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you have a cold....I'm just getting over one [again!] I hate having a full head like that and have just bought a new jar of Vicks which helped a lot when it came to sleeping. I hope yours goes very soon.
I love your funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

LA Paylor said...

feel better soon, and thank you for the laughs! LeeAnna

Iris Flavia said...

Hope you are better soon - I am, finally! Yikes, what a time of the year...
I just came home with a book and a DVD-set I found in the street :-)
Thank you for the laughs, hugs!