Tuesday 21 February 2023

A Postcard A Day / Tuesday 21 February 2023 / T for maps, carousel horses and a bridge

 Hello lovely ladies,

Today we are joining the T-Party hosted by Bluebeard and Elizabeth. Will you join too? All you need is a beverage or a drink reference. You will see my drink a bit further down.

But first my postcard:

 A lovely map card, wouldn't you say? I have visited Toronto in the early seventies. I was catching a flight back home from there so it was just for one day and the next day I did an excursion to see Niagara falls. Then I went home. To be honest, I don't remember much about it. (Although of course I do remember Niagara Falls).

The stamps are gorgeous, and they are the reason I featured this card today.

You can see there is a stamp with a carousel horse. I know Elizabeth loves those so here you are Elizabeth! Especially for you!
It's the Roseneath Carousel and here is a little history of the carousel, and here a less than 2 minute video that shows the carousel working. A family had rented the carousel for one hour as a birthday treat for a family member. It shows the Wörlitzer organ too. 
Above you can see the horse featured on the stamp (on the right).

Aren't they beautiful?

So beautifully restored.


The stamp series also has other carousel horses:


Other stamps announced in the Canada Post collection include:

  • C.W. Parker Carousel No. 119 (Burnaby Village Museum, Burnaby, B.C.): Built in 1912 and now fully restored, the carousel features 36 jumping horses, four stationary horses, a chariot and music provided by a 1925 Wurlitzer band organ.
  • Bowness Carousel (Heritage Park Historical Village, Calgary): Built by Herschell-Spillman Co. in 1904, it is a rare three-row track machine, where the horses’ rocking motion comes from eccentric drive wheels under the platform.
  • Lakeside Park Carousel (Lakeside Park, St. Catharines, Ont.): Built by Kremer’s Carousel Works circa 1903, the large carousel boasts 68 animals and four chariots in four rows. It still costs only a nickel to ride. The carousel was referenced in rock band Rush’s Lakeside Park song.
  • Le Galopant (La Ronde, Montreal — former Expo 67 site): Built around 1885 in Belgium, it was originally a travelling carousel powered by steam. It made its first Canadian appearance at Expo 67.
The stamp on the right is the Canadian Pacific stamp I wrote about in my blog of the 27th of January 2023 . The calla flower stamp is very beautiful. I have a calla but on my plant the flowers are white. I've also just found out that the whole plant is very toxic.

I just found another map card of Canada. 



The cities are not marked on there but I can show you where Toronto is:


So, what have I been up to? Not much because the weather is still very dreary and cloudy and cold. I have had the stove on every day. 
I have been doing a lot of paperwork and finally something seems to be moving and my financial situation is a bit better now. There is something coming in now (I was living on my savings). One of my pensions has sent me back payments! Hurray!

I have done a little baking. Nothing spectacular, just some cookies:

And the other day the prawns were on special offer so I treated myself:

I had it with rice and asparagus and a nice glass of white wine. And of course this is my qualifier for the T-Party.

I've been enjoying my tv. I continue to watch The Crown. Currently watching series 4. I've also started watching His Dark Materials. I have read the books and so far I am enjoying the series. I have only watched the first episode. 

On Sundays of course I enjoy watching the church services (I watch two different ones):
As you can see I watch from my bed. I'm planning to buy a tv for the living room too in the near future.

On Sunday afternoon my friend Antonia wanted to go for a walk. (I'm always ready for a walk) So she picked me up and we drove to the Via Verde, which is a disused railway that the council have turned into a walkway.  
We walked four kilometres and then turned round and walked back. On our way we passed the old Iron Bridge, built by Eiffel (of Eiffel tower fame):
My friend took the picture and asked me to hold her dog so that he wouldn't fall through the beams.

THE IRON BRIDGE OF CANILES.
On December 16, 1894 the stations of Baza, Caniles and Hijate were open to railway traffic. This 135km stretch belonged to the projected line from Granada to Lorca, and was built by The Great Southern of Spain Railway Company Limited. Along the journey there were bridges such as the well-known Iron Bridge or Caniles Bridge, a unique work of engineering and application of new materials, today abandoned.

Here a photo of the bridge in its heyday:

Yesterday I went to the gym (I still go three times a week) and I also had my last dental treatment. Now everything is in order. Every little cavity filled and I should be ok for a good while. Phew! Nowadays you don't feel a thing, but I still find going to the dentist unpleasant. So I'm glad.
Unimpressive surgery (the green sign reads: Clinica Dental), but a very nice dentist and I'm glad we have one here in the village within walking distance.

That is all from me this Tuesday. (and I do recommend the carousel video and I hope it will play on your device).
I wish you all a very happy T-Day,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca






















14 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I really like those carousel stamps. And the way they are arranged on the sheet is pretty fun too. I have only been to Toronto airport, but one day I would like to visit the area. And your cookie and shrimp dish look yummy. I haven't had my dinner yet so now I am really hungry-smile. Watching TV in bed sounds comfy to me. Our weather is going to get cold and snowy again later this week, but after so many nice days I'm not looking forward to more winter. Our snow is only finally melting. Have a lovely T day Lisca and week ahead. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I love those carousel stamps too, and loved seeing the actual carousel as well.I remember-sorta-back when I was a child we visited Niagra Falls I remember it being very loud.
I am glad you have a tv, I watch mostly in the evenings. Your cookies look delicious-I made shrimp and rice too last week Happy T and new week Hugs Kathy

Mae Travels said...

So many carousels in Ontario! I had no idea. We live very close, perhaps some time we’ll make a tour and see them. I only know of one that’s in our area of Michigan. So many of them were dismantled because people want to own just one horse, not the whole rig.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sharon Madson said...

Great carousel stamp and photos, Lisca. I love stamps from Canada. You and I would get a long great as I am always up for a walk. You had such a nice one, too. Have a great T day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Of course, you knew I would fall in LOVE with that carousel horse stamp and photos of the carousel. However, the video was NOT about carousel horses, but about Isaiah 46.

That bridge was interesting, too. I had no idea that it was built by Eiffel, although I knew he built bridges.

Loved the heart cookies and your shrimp meal made me very hungry. Thanks for sharing your carousel stamp and its history, as well as the Canadian postcard, along with your tv watching, walk, and meal with white wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Jackie McGuinness said...

I have visited all the carousels except the closest one in St. Catherine's as it is temporarily closed.

Iris Flavia said...

Love the carousel! Saw one in Perth and onein Florence, both running, so nice!
Ich think you would "laugh" about mmy "TV "....
Impressive bridge, looks like you had fun (dentist is on the list for March ... ahhhh...
Happy T! Hugs

DVArtist said...

What a very lovely post. I watch TV from my bed in the evenings just before I go to sleep. I really did enjoy His Dark Materials. The cookies look perfect. Great cards and the carousels are a reminder that my mom used to repair the horses for carousels. It was much fun watching her work. Have a wonderful day today.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Lisca, hope you are well. I too don't like going to the denist but I haven't been for ages due to restrictions etc. Hopefully my teeth are ok! I finished watching His Dark Materials and I was disappointed :( I love those carousel stamps and that they are shaped. I also like that they turned the disused railway into a walking place, a bit like the High Line in NYC. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Divers and Sundry said...

There's no such thing as "just" some cookies. What a treat! Happy T Tuesday :)

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous post! Loving the walk and those cookies look so delicious, I'd love one with my cuppa today 😊. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Cookies are ALWAYS good, especially home baked ones. Lovely photo with the dog. Look after yourself, hope you are doing well. Happy T day, Valerie Hugs!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love coming across carousels when we are holidays. I couldn't access the video but will try on the computer tomorrow. Your walk looks interesting. I have just about got over my dental trip the other week.Happy T Day, hugs, Chrisx

Kate Yetter said...

Hi Lisca, somehow I missed your post. I loved the stamps and post card. I have never been to Niagara Falls but would love to visit sometime.
Your meal looks delicious! I Love prawns.
Glad that things are finally stable for you financially. Paper works and politics can be cumbersome.
Loved seeing the pictures from your walk. Your friend's dog is So fluffy looking. He looks warm.
Happy Tea day, a day late,
Kate