Tuesday 22 November 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 22 November 2022 - T for Tarts

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here I am on a very windy/stormy Monday evening. The wind is howling and whistling  through cracks I didn't know we had. I hate that noise, but hubby loves that sound. We have lit the stove (almond shell burner) and it is toasty warm indoors. I'm glad I don't have to go out in this weather. It's typical 'hot chocolate' weather. 

Let me show you a postcard. This one came last week all the way from Singapore:

The card is round shaped, but it is not very visible on the scan. It was sent by Tze and she writes that these are cantonese egg tarts, her favorite tea time snack. Best enjoyed with a cup of hot black tea.
Wiki says: The egg tart is a kind of custard tart found in Chinese cuisine derived from the English custard tart and Portuguese pastel de nata. The dish consists of an outer pastry crust filled with egg custard. Egg tarts are often served at dim sum restaurants, bakeries and cha chaan tengs (Hong Kong-style cafes).


It inspired me to make one of my egg custard tarts. 


I make one big one rather than several little ones. Here is the recipe:

The stamps are gorgeous:

On June 16th 1963, the former Singapore Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew, launched an ambitious tree planting campaign to transform Singapore into a green city. Over the decades, many parks and gardens have been created, and greenery invades streets and buildings. Today, Singapore is the greenest city in Asia, and also, probably, in the world.

To commemorate 50 years since the beginning of this transformation, Singapore Post released, in July 2013, the stamp series 'Our city in a Garden', portraying 'Singapore’s vibrant urban landscape nestled within a thriving garden with native plants and wildlife' (right image). As a point of interest, the local rate stamp value of the set is made from a special biodegradable paper including seeds, and can be planted ...

I haven't been able to find anything about the You Are My Sunshine stamp.

Hubby continues to deteriorate. Nights are bad and I am exhausted but this is what I promised when we got married and I would not  have it any other way. 



Today is T for Tuesday hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard, so I need a picture with a drink. We had a visitor yesterday, and he brought a bottle of olive oil (from his own trees) and a Bakewell slice, which he had bought that morning at the English market in Baza, our nearest town.

I had a cup of coffee this morning with my Bakewell slice. It is so delicious, that I'm going to try and make it myself this weekend. (Watch this space).

That is it from me this week,
Happy T-Day all!
Keep smiling!
Hugs,
Lisca





14 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Lisca, those are such lovely stamps and sounds like a unique postcard too-thank you for your recipe sounds good. with out thanksgiving coming up this week I will make us sweet potato pie this year. the tart looks delicious too-stay warm hugs Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

When I hear abour Bakewell tarts and custard tarts I get homesick for England, I used to enoy them so much. I could bake them myself, but then I would eat them myself - dangerous! I can imagine how difficult it is for you to watch your hubby deteriorate, I went through that when my husband died. I wish you lots of strength. Hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Dim Sum restaurants here in the US usually have custard tarts that look just like the ones on the post card.

I wish you continued strength in your heroic efforts to care for your husband,

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I am thinking of you Lisca. You will be glad you are doing this for your husband, if you are not glad already. And I haven't had a custard tart in sooo long. I think you've inspired me to make one soon also. Have a happy T day, and I hope your husband's deterioration slows down a bit. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

You both are often in my thoughts dear Lisca and I'm glad to see your hubbys smiling face today! What a beautiful postcard and your custard tarts look so yummy 😊. Custard tarts are so good and a Lancashire speciality although the pies here are deeper and have nutmeg on the top - yum! You both take care and Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Carola Bartz said...

Lisca, I am thinking of you and your husband often. You are a wonderful woman and I'm confident that your husband loves you for who you are. But I really hope you can find some rest and I wish you contnued strength and faith. - Thank you for the recipe, maybe one day I will make this egg custard tart. I don't know what a Bakewell tart is, but it looks delicious.

jinxxxygirl said...

Your hubby is always smiling when i see him Lisca. I wish you all the strength in the World Lisca. i know it means so much to him to have you there with him while he goes through this. Much love and comfort....Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

First thanks for letting me know about the spelling error. I was so tired when I made the post. Funny thing, spell check did not correct me. LOL. I do like this card but I like the stamps most of all. Graham looks good and he always has a smile on his handsome face for us. The tarts look good and your big one even better. However, that coffee and Bakewell is amazing. I would try to make that myself. Have a lovely day and stay warm.

Sharon Madson said...

Lisca, my prayers are with you. I love seeing your husband's smile. Hugs to both of you. Your Bakewell looks delicious. I look forward to hearing how yours turns out. The postcard and stamps from Singapore are very interesting. Who would have thought of a postcard with custard and stamps with eggs on it. Your custard looks so good, but I looked at the recipe and it calls for 5 eggs. Eggs are so expensive here, like they have quadrupled in price this year! Happy T Day.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Great card and stamps. The card is making me think of eating one but my pastry is nothing near as good as my Mum's so I won't be attempting to make one. I hope that you and hubby can have some peaceful nights, may you both continue to keep your strength up. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I couldn't get your blog to load on Tuesday. I kept getting an error and cannot load this site. I DID try even through Wednesday. I decided to see if it would load today.

I am sorry to read that Graham's condition has worsened. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers.

That is a unique postcard and those stamps are amazing. I had NO idea Singapore was so green. I think the egg tarts are very similar to some I had in California one year. They look great, but so does yours. Thanks for sharing your coffee and Bakewell with for T this Tuesday. BTW, I totally agree with Sharon. You are so lucky to have those hens. I paid $3.97 (USD) for a dozen eggs recently. Last Easter, I paid $0.59 for a dozen eggs. This just a tiny amount over 1/2 dollar for a dozen eggs as opposed to almost 4 dollars two weeks ago.

Empire of the Cat said...

I hope you both get some restful nights. Still looking after sick kitties, so I'm very late to the party. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx