Friday 18 November 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 18 November 2022 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

How are you all? Have you had things to smile about? Why don't you join us with your smiles at Annies (A Stitch In Time)

Here we have had some rain (No photo, but you all know what rain looks like). In this dry country a bit of rain is a celebration. We haven't had proper rain for more than two years. Yesterday we had more than 10 min of good rain.  That made me smile.

A postcard in my postbox always makes me smile. He is one of the latest cards:


It features the front of a Puffin Book. Puffin Books is a longstanding children's imprint of the British publishers Penguin Books. Since the 1960s, it has been among the largest publishers of children's books in the UK and much of the English-speaking world.
The name "Puffin" was a natural companion to the existing "Penguin" and "Pelican" books. Many continued to be reprinted right into the 1970s. A fiction list soon followed, when Puffin secured the paperback rights to Barbara Euphan Todd's 1936 story Worzel Gummidge and brought it out as the first Puffin story book in 1941.

The stamps on this pòstcard are spectacular. It was sent to me from Poland:

The stamp on the right celebrates  the 300th anniversary of the arrival of Bamberian settlers to Poznan. I have not been able to find out much about these Bamberian settlers.

The second from the right is the Great Tit, a beautiful bird.

The third stamp from the right features the naturalist Michal Jankowski. Michał Jankowski  (September 24, 1842 – October 10, 1912) was a Polish szlachta nobleman who settled in the Russian Far East after serving a sentence in Siberia for participating in the January Uprising of 1863. After being released in 1868 he settled in the Russian Far-East in Sidemi, Primorsky Krai, in a region now known as the Yankovsky Peninsula where he established a horse-breeding farm, reared deer for their antlers, established ginseng plantations, and became a well-known hunter and naturalist. He collected specimens of fauna and flora for museums and collectors and many species were named after him including Jankowski's bunting.

The left stamp is about Louis Pasteur. Louis Pasteur 27 December 1822 – 28 September 1895) was a French chemist and microbiologist renowned for his discoveries of the principles of vaccinationmicrobial fermentation and pasteurization, the latter of which was named after him. His research in chemistry led to remarkable breakthroughs in the understanding of the causes and preventions of diseases, which laid down the foundations of hygiene, public health and much of modern medicine. His works are credited to saving millions of lives through the developments of vaccines for rabies and anthrax. He is regarded as one of the founders of modern bacteriology and has been honored as the "father of bacteriology"and the "father of microbiology"(together with Robert Koch;the latter epithet also attributed to Antonie van Leeuwenhoek).

Here in Caniles everything is continuing as it was. Hubby is still very ill and we have good days and bad days. Nights are generally bad and I have a lack of sleep. I feel I can sleep for a week given the chance. I'm just very tired.
My friend from Holland visited on her way back to Holland from Portugal, where she has been staying for a couple of months. They have a campervan so I didn't have to make beds etc. The stayed two nights and it was nice to catch up.
One evening they invited me to eat out and we shared a lovely seafood pizza.


This Tuesday our friends came to see us and hubby found it all a bit much having so many people in the house, so we went out to lunch. The waitress took the photo:

What else can I tell you.... I have started to knit another pair of socks with the wool I had bought in Holland the last time I was there:
It's beautiful machine washable wool.

I like to use circular needles and I usually start at the toe. I find that easier. Then I can make the cuff as long as I like according to how much wool I have left.

That's it from me today. I have some funnies for you at the end. But this one is for Angela:


It is artwork made out of wire. Aren't they beautiful. I'm sure they are schnauzers. Angela will no doubt correct me if I am wrong. I've tried to find out who sculptured them but I found them on Facebook and trawling even one day back on Facebook doesn't guarantee you'll find what you are looking for. 

Have a lovely weekend all,
Keep smiling!
Hugs, 
Lisca





















6 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

I loved those schnausers-so cute and they look so real, I always enjoy your postcards and stamps-hugs coming your way
Kathy

Annie said...

Gorgeous wired dogs...so clever. I really hope Graham's days are mostly good and he's keeping pain free. Sending you both lots of love.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

Blessings to you both. I hope Graham's pain relief has stabilised him a bit. Glad you are enjoying visits from friends een if you do leave the house to enjoy their company fully.
Isn't it funny how our values change here in Spain. We too have a mini party when we get 'real rain'. We have had some this week but need more.
Well done for managing to find us some smiles still. I hope you get a day when you can have a catch-up sleep. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The dogs are brilliant and I'm sure they are Schnauzers. I smiled when you spoke about the rain. Years ago we were in Portugal and we met a young women who told us she was fed up with the weather as it was always sunny, no rain! So pleased you had some friends to visit but hope you manage to get more sleep during this difficult time for you both. Sending gentle hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My thoughts are with you and Graham. I can understand how he can get overwhelmed with company. That pizza looks good though. Cute postcard and beautiful stamps. Sorry to be late visiting. I've been sick and have mostly stayed in bed.

Celtic house said...

You are both in my thoughts and prayers I hope you get some rest and sleep xxx