Tuesday 18 October 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 18 October 2022 - T for bats and crawdads

 Hello my luvlies,

How are you all? I'm here again with a postcard (a very unusual postcard) and some update on how we are getting on.

Here is my postcard. Look closely....those are bats!

It was sent by someone galled Greg and he writes:  "Howdy from Austin, the capital city of Texas. Austin is home to the world's largest urban bat colony, under the Ann Richards Congress Avenue Bridge over lady Bird Lake in the heart of Austin. During summer 1,5 million bats live here. "


"Late fall the bats fly to their winter home in Mexico. This card shows a typical summer evening where hundreds of people gather above and below the bridge to watch the bats take off for their night's work."

 "When I moved to Austin many years ago it was a small town, but now there are over 2,5 million people. Austin is known for live music, great food, including barbeque and tacos, breweries, wineries and distilleries, museums, making movies, beautiful wildflowers in the soring, college and professional sports, festivals, many parks, nearby lakes, hot summers (40C+), and being weird. Best regards, Greg".

The bats are really quite small. If you have never seen one up close, here is one:



Greg used some really nice stamps!



Now for an update on hubby's illness. We are now going into the palliative care phase. Together we have made the decision to have no more chemo. He doesn't want to go into hospital, so I will nurse him at home with the help of our family doctors (who are within walking distance) and the nursing team. I talked to our GP this morning and the pain medication has been adjusted and rationalized. We talk openly together about the end and what still needs to be done. Children who live abroad are booking flights to come and visit. Friends are ready to help where needed. 
On Friday one of my friends came to our house and said: "I have come to help. You are not allowed to say no. Shall I clean your bathroom?" Isn't that kind! She did the bathroom and the stairs as well (they are tiled and there are 56 steps!). What a blessing to have loving friends!

Hubby has good days and bad days. Today was good:
He was up for a few hours this morning writing some nice things to his children.

I have been reading a lot lately. My favorite book of all the books I have read these months is:
On the cover it is described as "painfully beautiful, At once a murder mystery, a coming-of-age narrative and a celebration of nature". And I agree with that description!

I don't know if Elizabeth is hosting her T-Party, but in case she is, here is a drink:
It was in a tapas bar in Granada when hubby was in hospital. I would go out for a drink and I would get a free tapa (snack) with it. In most places in Granada you can choose your tapa. I chose a baguette with cream cheese and salmon. In the photo you see half of it. I had already eaten half when I realized I hadn't taken a photo. Yummy it was.

This is the counter where all the tapas are listed:
So much to choose from!

Gym has started again and this morning, as I walked to the gym, I saw the first kaki (persimmon) on the tree. 

This house also has a large fig tree in the garden:


That is it from me. 
Happy T-Day all!
Keep smiling.
Hugs,
Lisca












17 comments:

  1. Oh Lisca. The bats are interesting and I would write more about them but then I read about your husband. I am so sorry to hear that. You must be strong to be able to come to that decision, but then we all do what we need to do, don't we? But to even write a T day post. I hope you get some lovely moments with him, and everyone makes it to visit. I'll say a prayer for you both. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bats were so interesting You receive the neatest postcards-and I always enjoy the history behind them.
    So sorry to read about your husband Lisca I had a feeling he was very ill when you shared the trip you both took to visit family Prayers for the both of you hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bats are amazing Lisca, how incredible. I'm so sorry to hear your news about your husband. My thoughts go out to both of you. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bravery is constant and I admire you for all you are doing and have done. Now I wish you good luck, strength, and a continued clear mind to face what must be faced.

    fondly… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I was there I would be helping too. You and Graham are so lucky to have good support around you. I have cared for my siblings and mom on their journey to the other side. It is an honor to be that person. I know how difficult this will be for you but the love between you is strong. Blessings my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a bat-detector cause we only have such few bats! Always wonderful to spot one!

    You break my heart.
    I am in tears.
    How can this have happened, it sounded so good and safe.

    I went through this with my parents - I wish you all the love and strength in the world. Parents is one thing, your love is another, I am so sorry.

    I am so sorry, life isn´t fair, you two deserved better.
    Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was quite interested to read about the bats at the Lady Bird bridge. Lady Bird was the wife of the late president Johnson who became president after JF Kennedy died.

    I had no idea what palliative care was, so of course, I looked it up on the internet. I wonder what phase he is in. It sounds from what you are sharing, that it is one of the later stages. He is of course in my thoughts and prayers.

    Nice sounding book you read. I always love a good mystery.

    Yes, Lisca, I will always create a T Tuesday post, even if I am unavailable to host. I would have trouble choosing a tapa, but I don't drink alcohol, so I would not be eligible for one. Your wine and tapa look wonderful, especially the tapa you chose. Now I'm really hungry. Thanks for sharing your postcard, Graham's palliative care, the book you read, and your wine and tapa with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.


    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your husband, and hope that you will be able to enjo thed remaining time you have together.
    i would love to see those bats, they are such fascinating creatures- Where the crawdads sing is a wonderful book, it made me laugh and cry and I had to read it twice as it was so good. Happy T Day, Lisca, I wish you good vibes and lots of strength. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart goes out to you {hugs} I'm at a loss for words but am glad you have a plan and such strong support. His beautiful smile has me smiling back. I hope he's having a good day today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a strong, loving couple. Those qualities shine through your blog posts like your husband's smile. Smiles may fade but love is never gone. Here's to more good days together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, my heart goes out to you both! So pleased that you have such lovely friends and the support to care for your hubby at home. Wishing you many more good days together. Big hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That must have been a difficult decision to forego more chemo. I will be praying for grace, comfort and strength as you walk through the rest of this journey together. How wonderful that you have been blessed with wonderful friends.
    Some interesting postcards about bats. I can't say they are my favorite subject but that first one is lovely.
    Happy tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting about the bats in Austin! I would have never dreamed they had so many bats there under a bridge! Thanks for sharing the story of the card and the stamps. Lisca, I am so sorry to read about your situation. I love seeing your hubby's smile always on your blog. I am saying prayers for your both and your family. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 'm so sorry to read about your hubby Lisca. I know that these are very difficult times, and I admire your strength to face them. It is lucky that you have friends very close to help. I hope He´ll have a good day today. I send you much encouragement, you are in my thoughts.
    Big hugs, Caty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lisca, what a difficult decision - I'm so sorry to read this news about your hubby. Pleased to know that you have a friend who can help you out. Thecfirst time I saw a bat

    ReplyDelete
  16. close to I was really surprised to see how small it was.Take care of yrself

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't know what's happening here....Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete