Friday 24 January 2020

A Postcard A Day - Friday 24 January 2020 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again with the smiles of this week. Yes, there were many.

Of course my postbox always makes me smile. Here is a card from Belgium. It is the city of Dinant in the XIXth century, painted by C.C. Stanfield.


 The stamp is beautiful. It bears the name Wouter Jan Strietman. I found out he is a marine researcher at the university of Wageningen (Netherlands) and he is known for his ecological projects like
 The Arctic Marine Litter project. There is a link if you are interested.

The second card comes from Germany, from a little island called Reichenau. I received a card from Reichenau a couple of months ago, and now I have another one. (They are not the same).




 Reichenau Island is an island in Lake Constance in southern Germany. Reichenau is connected to the mainland by a causeway, completed in 1838, which is intersected between the ruins of Schopflen Castle and the eastern end of Reichenau Island by a 10 m (33 ft)-wide and 95 m (312 ft) long waterway, the Bruckgraben. A low road bridge allows the passage of ordinary boats but not of sailing-boats.
The island was declared a World Heritage Site in 2000 because of the Abbey of Reichenau. The abbey's Münster (minster church) is dedicated to the Virgin and Saint Mark. Two further churches were built on the island consecrated to Saint George and to Saints Peter and Paul. The famous artworks of Reichenau include (in the church of St George) the Ottonian murals of miracles of Christ, unique survivals from the 10th century. The abbey's bailiff was housed in a two-storey stone building to which two more storeys of timber framing were added in the 14th century, one of the oldest timber-frame buildings in south Germany.
There is a lovely Christmas stamp on the back of this card.
So, what have we been up to this week. It has been an unusual week. On Sunday morning, going to church we found a strange sight at the back of our house:
Goodness knows how that happened. Luckily the Guardia Civil (police) moved their car for us and we could get through. My smile? Nobody was hurt.

Then on Sunday night it started snowing. I posted some photos on my Tuesday blog. There was really a lot. My smile? I took a lot of photos.
All the trees were white.
 These poor palm trees are struggling under the weight of the snow.
 Our little park is completely white.
 Here is the snow plough, operated by the local fire department.
The snow on the roof was even higher than on the streets. Eventually it damaged the receptor dish so much that we lost the internet on Wednesday! (we have internet via radio signal) The engineer came to replace the dish and establish the internet only hours ago. Coincidentally my phone in broken too. It won't charge anymore. So I couldn't use that for internet either. They were a quiet couple of days. What did we no in the evening? (remember, we don't have TV). We watched a DVD:

My smile? We enjoyed it immensely. It was about the making of the film Psycho.

It's past midnight, so I shall go to bed. 
Of course there will be a few funnies at the end. Not many as I haven't much time. I need to go to bed.
Have a lovely weekend,
And... keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca





7 comments:

  1. I was surprised to see you'd had snow....we haven't had any at all yet thankfully. We rely on these techy things don't we?....prob don't realise just how much until we have to do without them though eh? I know that when we are without the internet in the motor home at times it's like someone has cut my arm off lol.....but I do enjoy the break.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Dolphin and the Christmas stamp! Wow you got some snow there.
    Hmm, no internet really is not funny. Glad there are DVDs - and a quick service, kinda quick, that is.
    Clever one with the fiherman.
    The cat-joke is very good :-) As the poo one, haha.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a fabulous post, the postcards are lovely as for your snow that is amazing, we haven't had any yet it always causes chaos but I always think it is good for us as it kills off lots of things after a cold snap I think so I'd be grateful for that at the moment. I hope it hasn't caused too much disruption and that the palm trees survive as to no internet we've done a digi detox but I don't for one minute think said 19 year old would manage - he'd probably temporarily move out. Have a great weekend and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right that is a gorgeous stamp and the others are lovely too. Interesting manoeuvre the car made, hope no one was hurt. That looks like a lot of snow, is that unusual? We've not had any here yet just frost though of course there was plenty while we were away in France. Loving the funnies too. Better go and do something. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you'd be posting about the snow today Lisca. It was fairly exceptional even for you, where some is expected to fall each year. It is almost unheard of for it to come right down to us.
    We watch very little TV but we still miss it when it isn't available.
    I am glad you stayed safe and warm anyway. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I apologize, Lisca. I stopped by last night and THOUGHT I had left a comment. I just couldn't stay on the computer any longer, so headed to bed. It's been a tough time for me to get my strength back.

    What wonderful postcards you got. It's great you got two from the same place in Germany. What fun. And I love the flower stamp. I have a couple from Germany that are similar.

    I keep telling you that you got more snow than I got. It's beautiful, but rather strange to see it there. Those poor palm trees. I hope they survive.

    Glad you enjoyed the DVD. I've never heard of that film, although I have heard of Hitchcock and Psycho.

    Have to LOVE the cat funny. My two are the same way. When in, they want out, when out, they want in. That one had me laughing. Have a great weekend, because I'm sure it's no longer Friday in your world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just read your comment from Friday Smiles, dear. The reason for the cookbooks is because it was the new teen who created the Raisin Bran Muffins in

    https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2019/07/t-stands-for-birthday-bash.html

    The child even modified the recipe with oatmeal "decorations."

    We're thinking they will be back sometime in mid to late July this year. One nice thing is, it will be easier for them to travel on an airplane because the one who is now a teen will no longer be considered a minor. As for easier to take them places, now they are all teens, the cost of ANY admittance to an event will go up markedly. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete