Tuesday 22 March 2016

A Postcard a Day - Tuesday 22 March 2016 T for Almeria and things to comer

Good Morning folks,

How are you all doing? I am fine, healthy and in good spirits. I have lots of nice thing to look forward to. But first lets get down to business, i.e. the postcard for today:
This is one of the cards I have sent (rather than received) for a change. It is Almeria, the province next to us (we are in Granada province). We are going there on Wednesday to stay for a few days. This is a desert landscape. You can see the flowering agave in the photo and we will see the salt flats and the flamingoes as well as a beautiful coastline. It's no more than an hour or hour and a half drive from here. I'm really looking forward to it. The weather is quite mild.

The stamps that have come out recently are quite unusual:
This one 'celebrates' the 75th anniversary of the great fire of Santander in 1941. I have been to Santander last year (it is a city on the northcoast of Spain) and it is very beautiful. I never got the impression it was rebuilt. I use this one for My cards in Europe.

The other thing I am looking forward to is my birthday on Wednesday. I will start the day by opening my birthday cards in bed (with a cuppa). I have received four cards and I know there are two more to come but if they will arrive on time I don´t know... 

Then usually my husband takes me out to lunch. This time we are leaving for Almeria in our campervan (RV) in the afternoon/evening so I think we will have an evening meal in a restaurant somewhere near the campervan parking. We are on a diet but I will most definitely have a glass of wine! (Oh yes, Elizabeth, I will take a picture!)

I am linking up with Elizabeth and Bluebeard for T for Tuesday . To qualify one has to post something with a drink in it. So here is my drink related photo:
It is today's lunch table. As I said, we are on a diet so water is in order. I cooked courgettes au gratin, (crunchy top zucchini).
I'll give you the recipe at the end..

Now here is something to chuckle about: Yesterday I had made my DH a large mug of hot coffee. I was doing things in the kitchen and had wet hands. The mug slipped out of my fingers and all the coffee spilt (luckily not over me) over my Panasonic combi oven instructions book! It is an all-singing-all-dancing combi microwave/oven/grill, I've had it for years, but I cannot operate it without the instructions. 
 You know when wet books dry, all the pages stick together, so I had to put toilet roll paper between each page and there are 159 pages!! I was really annoyed.
But now I can laugh about it as one of the 'things that happen'.

That´s all from me today. Have a great Tuesday and a good week. See you all next week.

I've just realized I didnt show you my mini turtles. I'll try to remember next week....

Blessings,
Lisca

Courgettes Provencal au Gratin (Zucchini)

This is a very tasty, low fat supper dish.
Serves 2 generously, or 4 if used as a side dish.

450 gr zucchini, roughly chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
285 ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
85 gr long grain rice (or use about a cup of left-over cooked rice)
2 eggs
salt & pepper
57 gr grated reduced fat cheese
15 gr fresh bread crumbs
oil spray

-          Put zucchini, onion, garlic & veg stock in a large saucepan. Cover, bring to the boil, boil for 5 minutes. Then uncover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until tender and syrupy with liquid absorbed.
-          Boil water, cook rice and drain.
-          Beat eggs with salt & pepper. Stir in (cooled) rice, zucchini and onion mixture with half the cheese.
-          Spray an oven proof dish with oil and spoon the mixture in it. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixed with breadcrumbs.

-          Bake in preheated  oven and 180 degree C (gas mark 4) for 25 minutes.

14 comments:

  1. Happy T Day. The view of your postcard is beautiful. I think of Cervantes and Don Quiote with that little white building. Have a fun trip and a wonderful birthday! Hugs. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every photo you show of Spain makes me want to go and wish i had years ago when I had the opportunity. Enjoy your little getaway and a happy birthday! Thanks for sharing the recipe too-I love courgettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have a lovely getaway planned .
    Enjoy your special day... week... month and year.
    Happy Birthday to you!!!
    You did good saving your booklet ;-)
    Happy T Day
    Thank you for stopping by my Magpie's Nest
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the postcard and the stamp are really interesting. Someone is going to be happy with their mail. Have a happy birthday and a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your birthday is well planned out, from morning onward. Have fun on your trip. Sounds like you will truly enjoy it.

    Thanks for the zucchini recipe. They aren't in season (here) yet, but I will save it for when they are.

    I was surprised the paper towels didn't stick to the pages, so was glad you had a positive outcome.

    Thanks for sharing your water and meal, as well as your lovely postcard with us for T this Tuesday. And have a delightful and joyous birthday tomorrow, dear Lisca!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be happy if all I got was that bread to eat :) Looks delicious!

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always fun to see what you share each week. love seeing your postcards as they show very different scenery that what I am used to here in Ohio in the Eastern U.S. No desert or mountains here! glad you salvaged your instruction book...I would be tempted to use the stained pages for art! lol! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, your post has made me very hungry today! It all looks so delicious. Have a great birthday on Wednesday. Santander is a beautiful town, I didn't know it had been destroyed and rebuilt either. Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tank you for sharing all the interesting things - the recipe sounds super..will try this for sure!

    Photo Shop is great and professional.. I tried to begin with it a year ago - but it is a bit too complex for me...have to watch workshops and I am not quite persevering- so I use some different tools and programms that are not so complex... shame on me.. and picmonkey is so especially easy --- just playing. with photoshop I have to learn.. and... I am so lazy!
    Good luck with your photoshop! It's really professional and for sure worth to learn ...

    Happy T-DAY and all the best for your B-Day !

    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  10. the postcard and the postal stamp both are so interesting and awesome. would like to spend a vacation there! i´m sure you will have a great birthday! and i will Bookmark this recipe as the photo really Looks so yummy!!
    have a great week ahead, lisca!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Advanced Birthday wishes Lisca. Sorry to hear about the coffee spill Thank God that it didn't fall on you. You are so patient to work on 159 pages with the tissue.
    Wishing you a wonderful trip
    Happy Tuesday
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. The zucchini recipe looks delish and I will have to give it a try :) Love the postcard and HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend!!! Hope you have a great trip and celebrate royally ♥ Happy T Day and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy, happy birthday to you!! Mine is on Monday! :)
    Wet books stick and buckle and swell, too. I hope your instructions booklet will still be useable once it dries out. Best to you! Love, Rita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, I am a day late and realise that you might not see this now but are enjoying you restaurant meal! Have a lovely break! I hope to use the recipe later in the year - it looks delicious! To answer your question - yes Kendal is in the Lake District and a short drive from our mobile home park! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete