Tuesday 17 September 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 17 September 2024 - T for votes for women

 Hello lovely ladies,

How are you all? 

This is going to be a short post as my laptop stopped working and I dropped my phone in the toilet, so I’m writing this on my late husband’s iPad, which works fine but doesn’t have any photos on it. I have clumsily taken a photo of my postcard though.

And it is an interesting postcard that arrived not very long ago. Here it is:

This card comes to me from the USA, from Cleveland. The card features a photo taken in 1891 of two ladies: Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

Wikipedia writes: Susan B. Anthony (born Susan Anthony; February 15, 1820 – March 13, 1906) was an American social reformer and women's rights activist who played a pivotal role in the women's suffrage movement. Born into a Quaker family committed to social equality, she collected anti-slavery petitions at the age of 17. In 1856, she became the New York state agent for the American Anti-Slavery Society.
The lady on the right is Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Wikipedia writes: Elizabeth Cady Stanton (née Cady; November 12, 1815 – October 26, 1902) was an American writer and activist who was a leader of the women's rights movement in the U.S. during the mid- to late-19th century. She was the main force behind the 1848 Seneca Falls Convention, the first convention to be called for the sole purpose of discussing women's rights, and was the primary author of its Declaration of Sentiments. Her demand for women's right to vote generated a controversy at the convention but quickly became a central tenet of the women's movement.[1] She was also active in other social reform activities, especially abolitionism.



I also read somewhere that she was married and had seven children.
This is the info on the back of the card:

The stamps are lovely 


The autumn colours are beautiful ( Strange, I thought autumn in America was ‘fall’.) And the carnaval night were fun but I’m glad they’re over. I’m not a carnaval person. The third stamp is fun. It has a question and the answer is written upside down underneath.

Indeed who is Alex  Trebek? 

I have no idea but our friends ‘across the pond’ will know him. Wikipedia writes:George Alexander Trebek; July 22, 1940 – November 8, 2020) was a Canadian-American game show host and television personality. He was best known for hosting the syndicated general knowledge quiz game show Jeopardy! for 37 seasons from its revival in 1984 until his death in 2020.

That’s it from me today. I’m sorry it’s a bit of a mess. I don’t seem to be able to format very well on this thing. 

As today is Elizabeth and Bluebeard’s T-Party, I will photograph my cup of tea. I’m drinking Moroccan mint tea:


Oh dear, that’s not in focus. Sorry Elizabeth.


Happy T-Day,

Lisca

 


 

6 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Oh no about the computer and the phone. And in the US we call it either autumn or fall. Alex Trebek was a legend for the game show Jeopardy. It's a tricky show, not silly at all, and Alex T was the host for years until he got sick and died. I really enjoy watching it although sometimes the question categories are something I know nothing about. Have a super T day Lisca and hope the electronic situation gets fixed soon. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, boy, you dropped your phone in the... oh. And oh no to the laptop!
But yes to such ladies!
We had no Trebek ours was Hans Rosenthal and I often joke that he sits on my shoulder when I work. Often I just assume what is the correct word for some technical parts in railway ,-)
Hope your laptop and phone are back soon, have a great T-Day.

Mae Travels said...

The early leaders of the fight for women's suffrage are very interesting. Early on, they saw that women and Black people in the US were all deprived of rights, and they began fighting agains slavery and in favor of votes for all citizens, not just white men. Only one attendee of the Seneca Falls Convention lived long enough to see the women's rights amendment be added to the Constitution.
Have a great week... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Rostrose said...


Hello Lisca!
Oh dear, the thing with the telephone in the toilet sounds kind of funny, but of course it isn't - it's a shame that you're having problems with blogging now. But I think you did a brave job! And the postcard picture with the two women's rights activists who used all their woman power to campaign for women's suffrage comes at exactly the right time, I think: We CAN vote - and therefore we SHOULD... and preferably for parties or people who do not trample on the rights of women (and - in my opinion - of "Mother Earth")...
All the best and have a good week, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/09/calle-libre-festival-2024-und.html

Valerie-Jael said...

Oh dear, dropping your phone into the toilet! Hope you soon get everything sorted again. Those women who campaigned for their rights were so brave. So many people don't bother to votd, and that is bad. Happy T day, hugs!

CJ Kennedy said...

The USPS issued a stamp in July honoring Alex Trebec as the game show host of Jeopardy. The show ran for 37 seasons with Trebec as host. In the game contestants chose answers for dollar amounts and had to phrase their anwer in the form of a question. The stamp done in the style of the Jeopardy game show asks "This naturalized US citizen hosted the game show Jeopardy for 37 seasons" The answer is printed upside down. The correct response is Who is Alex Trebec. I've had dreams of dropping my phone in the toilet. Hope phone and computer woes straighten out soon. Happy T Day