Friday 1 March 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 1 March 2024 - Friday Smiles




 Life is good! (In general) and there is always something to smile about. Something that always makes me smile is a postcard in my postbox. My dear friend Maggie sent me this one a while back:


It's the choir stalls at Hereford Cathedral. Aren't they beautiful! The info on the back of the card reads:
"Many of the 14th century choir stalls have he original misericords under the seats. Fine decorative carvings and new misericords were added during the mid 19th century restoration."

Now what are misericords you say. Wikipedia says: misericord (sometimes named mercy seat, like the biblical object) is a small wooden structure formed on the underside of a folding seat in a church which, when the seat is folded up, is intended to act as a shelf to support a person in a partially standing position during long periods of prayer.
 Apparently, Medieval carvers were given great latitude in choosing their subjects as most have no religious connotations at all. In fact, most are quite whimsical and some downright profane.


Hereford Cathedral is a famous cathedral



The cathedral is a Grade I listed building. The cathedral has the largest library of chained books in the world, its most famous treasure being the Mappa Mundi, a medieval map of the world created around 1300 by Richard of Holdingham.

This is what the map looks like.It does not make sense to me. There is a website that tries to show this map with the countries as we know them. Have a look if you're interested.
Here is another website that talks about this map.
It's fascinating.

I found this photo (on the Internet) of a chandelier at Hereford Cathedral:
It's gorgeous! Jo (Let's Art Journal) showed us a beautiful chandelier from St Nicholas Church in Prague. But this one is also 'not to be sniffed at'.


The stamps are still Queen Elizabeth:
I have already seen a few with King Charles on them.

On Tuesday my friend Dian and I went to Albox, an hour and a half drive from here. She was picking up a TV that she had bought secondhand through a forum of ex-pats. Then we had coffee. I ordered a cappuccino. This is what I got:

We also took two large bags of Graham's clothes to the charity shop (thrift shop) . Then we bought a few groceries in a British shop where I spotted this sign behind the till:

And then eventually we  had our fish and chips lunch:
Yum! (and mushy peas too!)

I have friends staying with me at the mo, so I will sign off here.

Let's all meet at Annie's at A Stitch In Time to share our smiles.

Have a lovely weekend and keep smiling!

Hugs,
Lisca















































































4 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I love ancient cathedrals like Hereford is. Thanks for sharing info about it and thanks for sharing photos. I really enjoyed it. Enjoy your company, and have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

mamapez5 said...

Some of those carvings in the cathedral made me smile., and the chandalier is beautiful.
It sounds as though your trip to Albox was successful. It is not a twon I enjoy visiting, but there are plenty of shops there, including one ot two 'English' ones.
Your fish and chips look lovely and fresh-cooked. We are off for outs in another hour or so. We still go most Fridays.
I hope this week keeps you smiling. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, always interesting to hear about cathedrals in other cities. They are such interesting places to visit. I once had the pleasure to visit the stone masons that work in the Technical college in Lincoln, I imagine that is an endless job but very artistic too. I've not seen any new King Charles stamps yet either. Love the funnies. The dog in the rain could have been my hubby this morning but it's stopped raining now and it's just about Daisy and Alfie's toilet time so better leave you now. Hugs Angela xXx

Annie said...

I love the wood carvings and your funnies are brilliant.
Hugs,
Annie x