Tuesday 27 February 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 27 February 2024 - T for Siesta, a courtyard and mint tea


 Hello lovely ladies,

Gosh is it Tuesday already? Well I'd better get ready for the T-Party hosted by Bluebeard and Elisabeth. But first let me show you a postcard I received last week:


It's a painting by Vincent van Gogh I think, although it's not stated on the back of the card. Actually on the back of the card it says: 'Lost in the starry night'. Looking at the shadows, it looks more like a hot summer's  afternoon.
So of course, when in doubt..... look in Wikipedia, and this is what I found:

The Siesta (in French, La méridienne or La sieste) is an oil on canvas painting by Vincent van Gogh painted between December 1889 and January 1890 while he was interned in a mental asylum in the French town of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence. It is part of the permanent collection of the Musée d'Orsay, in Paris.

Van Gogh chooses as his theme the siesta, while referring directly to the painting by the same name by French painter Jean Millet


Even despite the peaceful nature of the subject, the paintings radiates Van Gogh's renowned artistic intensity. Also known in French as La méridienne, Van Gogh's The Siesta has been considered one of his masterpieces.

The card comes to me from China and he (or she) has used some very pretty stamps:

You can see from the cancellation stamp that the card was posted on the 4th of December. So it has taken a long time to get to Spain. 

They are beautiful flowers. I managed to translate the Chinese (Thank you Mr Google Translate) and the left stamp flower is simply called 'Double White', and the middle one is 'Hibiscus', but the right hand stamp is called only by its Chinese name: Jin Quihong. When I Googled that name, I found out it's the name of the Seoul National University. Well, not what I was looking for. Never mind, it's a petty flower.

From the Spanish front there isn't much to report. My friend Tam is working very hard to make the patio of the cave next door a pretty place. All the rubbish has gone in a skip:

Here it is being delivered. And then Tam has plastered the walls white and has made a housing for the washing machine and tiled that. That little courtyard is really starting to look nice:
On Sunday after church I was meeting some people who didn't know the area in Gor, 40 km away so I suggested we meet at the restaurant. I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to take some 'drink' photos for the T-Party. This is the restaurant:
And then in the end I totally forgot to take pictures. 
So I will take a picture of my cup of tea that I'm drinking now:
Lovely spearmint infusion bags with sweet blackberry leaves, sweetleaf, honey granules and flavouring.
And this was my dinner:
Butterbeans and pasta and spinach. Very nice.

That is it from me. I'm going to be busy with my guests but I will do my best to find some time to visit you all.
Happy T-Day,
Take care,
Lisca





















8 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Have fun with your visitors Lisca. And have a safe but fun trip down to Granada. It's sounds exotic to me. And have a happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just looking at that Van Gogh as I was scanning down the page, I knew what it was. In a way, it reminds me more of his earlier works, but I know he copied Millet a lot.

Looks like your patio is coming along nicely. I look forward to updates, of course.

Glad you had time with friends and I hope you enjoy your time with the friends who are coming on Thursday.

Thanks for sharing your postcard, the patio, and your tea and meal with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Kokopelli said...

I really like the flower stamps. So nice! Interesting facts about the Van Gogh painting. Never seen it before. Happy T Day! Love mint tea.

Mae Travels said...

I love Van Gogh! I am familiar with the painting on your postcard, as I love the Musee d'Orsay and have been there a number of times. I also once visited the building that housed the asylum in Provence, but I disagree with saying that Van Gogh was "interned in a mental asylum" because he checked himself in, and those words imply that it was involuntary. He was a very complex man -- and the popular view is a bit skewed, especially by the famous film about his life.

Good luck recovering from your muscle pains!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful postcards! Sorry to hear about your neck, I hope it's not too painful and that you're feeling better soon. So lovely that your friends are staying 😊. Enjoy and Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I do like this card and the stamps. What did we do before google? LOL Your outside work is really coming along. You have so many places to visit in your area. It seems the sun is shinning most of the time too. Although I do know you get winter. Have fun with your company.

CJ Kennedy said...

The patio will be so nice when it's completed. Your pasta dish and tea looks delicious. I bet the tea would taste delightful iced, too. Happy T Day

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous postcard, and you food looks wonderful, yummy! Hugs, Valerie