Tuesday 5 March 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 5 March 2024 - T for herbs and teas and friends and food


 Hello lovely girls,

How are you both? I have had a busy week as my friends from Brazil came over to see me. She had gone to a trade fair in Barcelona and then thought they would come to see me for a few days. Great!

But let me show you a postcard that I received last week:


It comes to me from Aneta in Poland. She writes that she lives in the capital Warsaw and that she loves Barcelona, as she read the book Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. (Did any of you read that book? I did, it's beautiful)

The card features all sorts of teas and infusions or herbs and spices, which will be distinguishable when enlarged. But because of the frilly font, I found it difficult to read the names of the different herbs or teas. But here goes:
Line 1 Real Clover - Ginger - Goji Berries - Chamomile
Line 2 Chrysanthemum - Licorice - Chicory - Lime Leaves
Line 3 Milk Thistle Seed - Cornflower - Safflower(?) - Chai
Line 4 Heather - Rosebud - Calendula - Ginkgo
Line 5 St John's Wort - Ginseng - Rosehip - Nettle
Line 6 Chun(?) mix - Astragalus - Peppermint - Hibiscus

The stamps are gorgeous:

The left one reads: narodowy dzień polskich dzieci wojny. This translates as national day of Polish children of war.

This is an article from the website NotesfromPoland in August 2023:

This 10 September (2023) Poland will celebrate the first annual National Day of Polish Children of War after a bill establishing the new public holiday was passed by parliament last week and signed into law by President Andrzej Duda.

According to the new law, the holiday will be observed “in tribute to the Polish children of war, who, despite the trauma they experienced as a result of the hecatomb of World War II, the criminal actions of the German and Soviet occupiers, were able to lift our common homeland from the ashes and as a proof of respect and gratitude for their effort.”

Despite 10 September becoming a public holiday, it will not signify a day off from work or school in Poland.

“Children became the most defenseless victims of the dehumanised goals of war criminals,” reads a statement from the president’s office, justifying the establishment of a holiday honouring child victims of the war.

“The intention of the occupiers was the biological destruction of the Polish nation, its enslavement and deprivation of autonomy and freedom. For this purpose, various methods of cruelty were used, in particular against children.”

The holiday is an initiative of MPs from the ruling conservative Law and Justice (PiS) party. After being adopted by the Sejm, the lower house of parliament, on 11 July, the bill was passed by the Senate last Friday.

The stamp on the right comes from the series Traditional Products and Regional Products pairingDesigners Bożydar Grozdew and Agnieszka Sancewicz:
The regional product in this case is the Obwarzanek Krakowski: An obwarzanek krakowski is a braided ring-shaped bread that is boiled and sprinkled with salt and sesame or poppy seeds before being baked. It has a white, sweetish, moist and chewy crumb underneath a crunchy golden-brown crust. Wikipedia

But the real eye-catching part of the Regional Products stamp is the artwork along the selvedge. Sancewicz’s eye for details pushes this into a different category. The use of blue in the background reminds me of antique tiles often found in kitchens. 

Now let's think of Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party. I need a drink! Well, we have eaten out every day when my friends were here so here are a few photos:
A selfie with local friends David and Patricia (In the middle), and visiting friends Shaune and Thays (on the left). I have a glass or wine in my hand, but our order hadn't arrived yet. The dishes on the table are the tapas that we get when we order a drink.
We ordered several different things and then shared everything. Here Shaune is cutting a beautiful piece of (Angus) beef. It was so tender. It melted in the mouth.
This was one of the desserts. I can't remember what it was called but I can assure you it was delicious. (Just to say that we did not share our desserts)

The day before we had a simple meal at a local bar and below you see us having a glass of Baileys at the end of our meal.


That is all from me today. It's now late on Monday evening, so I will finish this and post it.

Happy T-Day all,
Take care,
Lisca










  



9 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I have read the book Shadow of the Wind. It is a good one; in fact I read it twice. And I think it is good that a country finally recognizes what children go through during war. And it looks like you had a fun visit with your friends. I love the idea of sharing food so everyone gets a little bit of everything, but I also get why people didn't share desserts. I hope you have a super week ahead and T day too. hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enlarged the postcard before I realized you gave us all the names. I grow my own peppermint and I have rose buds and rose hips. This is a great postcard and I LOVE the stamps.

Nice to share a meal with your friends. That allows everyone to taste everything they want. And of course, you have given us more than one drink reference today, too. I bet your Bailey's was good.

Thanks for sharing the postcard and your various meals with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Let's Art Journal said...

How wonderful, you covered spices and herbs like Bleubeard and Elizabeth - that's a great postcard! It looks like you're having a wonderful time with your friends, those photos with all those happy smiling faces are so lovely 😊. Take care and Happy T Day ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

Mae Travels said...

You really showed your friends a great time! Lovely food and drink.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Spices and herbs are the day. I hate that there has to be a commemoration day for children of war. Looks like you are having fun with your friends.

CJ Kennedy said...

I thought the teas and infusions postcard was your tea ticket 😸 It was so nice to see your good times with your friends. Happy T Day

Carola Bartz said...

Recognizing what children are going through a war is good, so often they are forgotten (just like in the current wars). The stamps of the braided bread are lovely - I think I ate something like that when I was in Poland many years ago. Similar ring-shaped bread I also found in Turkey and in Israel and Egypt. They were very delicious. It looks like you had a very good time with your friends. Happy T day.

Anonymous said...

Lisca, it is so good to read your post. It has been. Whole since I dropped by. Love your postcard and stamps. That is neat that they celebrated the Polish war Children rising from the ashes. Thanks for sharing. Happy T day. P.S. you look happy.

Anonymous said...

It say anonymous, but it was me, Sharon, Foxy Stamping.