Tuesday 9 January 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 9 January 2024 - T for cheese, a tea tray and a Golden Lady

 Hello lovely peeps,

How are you all?  Has the dust settled a bit? Things are back to normal here in Spain, after the festivities of the Three Kings, when Spanish children receive their presents. School has started again and also my gym and Pilates. Later this morning I shall see my gym ladies again.

Let me show you this lovely postcard I received recently:

It is the Petrusse Valley in autumn and the Notre Dame cathedral in Luxembourg city, viewed from inside Pont Adolphe.
It comes to me from Luxembug (Obviously) from someone called Romain. Romain has put a little arrow on the card to indicate the Golden Lady. More about that later. Let me tell you about the Petrusse Valley:

The Pétrusse Valley is the heart of the city and provides a range of free activities. Like a very well-designed outdoor fitness park, fenced soccer/basketball play area, and climbing playground for kids. 
At a certain point one comes across the spectacular Adolphe Bridge (see photo below), named for the Grand Duke Adolphe who reigned from 1890 to 1905. This bridge is stunning! The bridge has a cycle/pedestrian bridge suspended just under it (fret not, it is fully enclosed), which provides an excellent platform from which to take in the valley landscape and score some beautiful pictures. This bridge is lit up beautifully every night.


Lastly,  at  the northeast end, there is the Skatepark Pétruss. It is large and offers skaters many opportunities to test skills. It is busy but users are polite.

Now we come to the Golden Lady:



This special stamp with embossed gold gilding in 22-carat gold was officially presented on Thursday, May 25, 2023.
(The stamp is beautifully gilded but it doesn't show on the photo)


Wikipedia writes: The Monument of Remembrance (FrenchMonument du souvenir), usually known by the nickname of the Gëlle Fra (Luxembourgish for 'Golden Lady'), is a war memorial in Luxembourg City. It is dedicated to the thousands of Luxembourgers who volunteered for service in the armed forces of the Allied Powers during both World Wars and the Korean War.


The Gëlle Fra is situated in Constitution Square, in central Luxembourg City.

I have never been to Luxumburg, only sort of driven through, but it looks like a beautiful city.

Here in Spain, as I mentioned before, things are back to normal. I've been tidying away things. Like the decorations and some gifts I have received. I have received several. This is one of them and I will tuck into it very soon:

A very nice goats cheese that my friend Isa gifted me.
A beautiful tray made of shells came all the way from the Philippines. It is very pearlescent, although that is not visible on the photo. It's very pretty. Thank you Angelo and Ingrid.

As today is the T-party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard, I need to show you a drink. Well, we have had so many dinners and get-togethers that I'm sure I will be able to find one.

My neighbour Beth is from the Philippines, so when my guests arrived we arranged to meet. Beth invited us to dinner:
Beth on the right, me on the left and Ingrid in the middle. 
Beth had put on a magnificent spread:
The glasses are still empty though.

Below is a photo from last Saturday, when we had a Bible study at my friends' David and Patricia's house. We were having hot drinks:

That is all for today.
Happy T-Day all,
Hugs,
Lisca














13 comments:

DVArtist said...

You write the most wonderful posts. From amazing cards and stamps to friends at meal time, and gifts. Your life seems full.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, Luxembourg looks really beautiful. The perspective of that city view in your postcard makes a really interesting view. It sounds like you had a lovely week. The holidays are always fun, but when January gets rolling it is always good to do some cleaning. We've been sick in my house, but today, I started doing a bit since I am now on the mend. I hope you have a great T day and week ahead too. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Luxembourg looks neat. I vaguely remember the multi=level center of the city but it’s been decades since I visited there. Have a great New Year with lots of good friends and good food.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Reading your posts always makes me happy. You are such a positive person and also I learn a lot! - Cheers and a happy, yummy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I really enjoyed reading about Luxembourg. I learn so much reading your posts and the postcards you receive. Those stamps are amazing, too. Thanks for including and explaining them.

That cheese looks awesome. I love any white cheese, so this looks wonderful. And your tray is beautiful, too.

Loved seeing the meal Beth prepared. I like how you all had on slipper booties to protect the floors. Even empty glasses are acceptable (grin). And so nice you included a hot drink at your friends bible study. Thanks for sharing your postcard, stamps, food, and drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Empire of the Cat said...

That is a lovely postcard. Ah cheese... I bet it was delicious. The food looks delicious too, and so much of it on the table! Happy T Day! Elle xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for publishing my card from Postcrossing. A very nice blog. Greetings. Romain

Let's Art Journal said...

Such lovely postcards and I loved seeing your gifts, I bet the tray pearlesence looks amazing 😊. Wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Elizabeth Seckman said...

What beautiful photos! And the dinner set up is very fancy. My mother used to have fancy dinners. I am too lazy.

Cloudia said...

Such an exceptionally beautiful place, and a wonderful family. Thank you for sharing them with us. B o o z e is slang for alcohol. Aloha friend

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful table setting at your Philippine friend's house - I like how she tucked the silverware in the napkins. And delicious looking food! Happy late T day, dear Lisca - Carola

pearshapedcrafting said...

Another fascinating history lesson Lisca. Luxembourg looks to be a pretty place. Beth put on a great spread , how kind. Love your gifts- goats cheese is a favourite of mine! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

CJ Kennedy said...

Beth's spread looks deliciously festive. You looked festive in your red Christmas sweater, too. Your Christmas tree is so pretty. I love the light blue and silver combination. Happy T Day