Friday 19 January 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 19 January 2024 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely girls,

Here we are again to list our smiles and think back to the good things that happened this week.

But first I'd like to show you a postcard that arrived this week:

It is entitled "A Fairy Sideshow" by Myka Jelina.


Myka Jelina is a fantasy artist born in 1973 in Gastonia, in the Mountains of North Carolina but currently she’s living in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks. 


Her paintings are easily recognized by eclectic, glossy-eyed beauties poised in intricate scenes of gothic and classical adornment.

She sells a lot of coloring books too:
The card comes to me from Meathiel in Germany.
The stamp is really beautiful and shiny:


The Centennial of the Planetarium 2023 is a special year – the planetarium will be 100 years old. In 1923, a team from the Carl Zeiss company completed the first planetarium based on optical-mechanical light projection in Jena, Germany.


As the stamp is very shiny, it doesn't photograph well. I have found another image from the internet:

In 1923, ZEISS presented the world's first projection planetarium developed for the Deutsches Museum in Munich. The first public demonstration and hence the birth of the modern planetarium took place on this occasion. On 7 May 1925, the ZEISS Planetarium in the Deutsches Museum began regular operation.

Today, as modern high-tech domes, star theaters offer fascinating fulldome shows and are still a crowd puller after 100 years.

What is happening here in Spain? Not much really as I am feeling very tired. I'm usually a bundle of energy but this week I feel exhausted. I have always advised everybody to listen to your body, so that is what I am doing. I'm taking it easy this week and I'm not going to the gym or Pilates.

I have been doing nice things, all of which merit a great big smile. I ordered a labelling machine:

I'm really having fun with that although it is taking me a bit longer to get to grips with it as the instructions are in Italian. Luckily I understand Italian, but I would have preferred English.

The other good thing is that I managed to get a mechanic out to my house to look at the washing machine door. The handle broke the day before Christmas. He has taken the door away and will order a new handle and fix it.
I've also done a bit of baking. (One of my favorite pass times).
Yesterday I baked a kaki cake (persimmon cake):
And earlier in the week I made a pumpkin pie:
It turned out delicious. I made my own pumpkin spice mix from a recipe from Pioneer Woman. That is a blast from the past as I used to follow her website at the beginning, when she started. Apparently she has her own tv show now.

That is all I have to offer today. I will go and join the other ladies at Annie's A Stitch In Time.

Of course I will try to find you some funnies at the end.

Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca




















 
















10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Nicole would love that card and that art I think. It is great to see it. And I hope you perk up. I've done some baking this week also. It's one of my favorite things too. I'll share my baking at T day next week. Have a super weekend. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That is a stunning postcard. Just beautiful. Those girls are truly iconic.

I really want a pumpkin pie. It looks delicious. Yes, the Pioneer Woman has a tv show. Since I cut the cable, I miss the Food Network, where she and her family pig out each week.

Some of your funnies were hilarious. My favorite was the knight walking a straight line. The guy in the van was funny, too. Have a super weekend and great Friday, dear Lisca.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, loving th art work very beautifully drawn. I didn't realise the Planaterium was so old, great stamp too. Trust the washer to break down just before Christmas, how do they know Lol! Baked goods look good too, I'll be round to yours! Loving the funnies, guess at my age I understand some of those. Have a good weekend. hugs Angela xXx

Anonymous said...

My musician hubbie loved the music stand funnie - all so true! Who knew planetariums were only 100 years old - I learn so much from your blogs Lisca... or should that be "planetaria"?! 🤔Keren x

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting stamp. My Dad had celestrons from Zeiss to watch the sky.
Awwww, you understand Italian? I love this language.
I need to make onion cake after our holiday!
Oh, boy. I once found my glasses.... with my butt.
Butt, hehe, love the van! Hugs, to a great Friday!

Annie said...

That artwork is gorgeous. You have so many hidden talents....how many languages do you speak? Your funnies really had us chuckling.
Hugs,
Annie x

Mae Travels said...

As in many other cases, the invention of the planetarium never crossed my mind, for all I knew it could have been invented any time after the lens was developed. So your little tech history was as always fascinating.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

the funnies are really funny today. I know what you mean about just tired... so rest... your washer opening is so little how do you get sheets in there!?? I made a loaf of 1952 recipe Banana, pineapple/ coconut bread last night. Exceptional! the youtube video is a young woman who picks an old cookbook to try recipes for us. "Aloha bread"
I am so glad you told me the event story of your sister and you working well together... that's my dream but unfortunately not my sister's dream, but sharing the loss and being side by side to come to terms with a loss is such a good thing.
Love, LeeAnna (Milo waves his paw to you)

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a fun postcard. Also good to listen to your body. Mmmm, baking. I love Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman. I've never had persimmon cake, but I have my fork ready. Happy T Day

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog