Tuesday 4 July 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 4 July 2023 - T for Greek resistance, Sardinia and a very young baby

 

Hello lovely ladies, I have just come home! What a journey it was! I will tell a bit more later but i wanted to show you my postcard first. It has a beautiful lilac flower. I love lilacs. It was my dad's favorite flower/tree and I love it too. 

Lilac

Syringa or (lilac) is a genus of 12 currently recognized species of flowering woody plants in the olive family or Oleaceae called lilacs. These lilacs are native to woodland and scrub from southeastern Europe to eastern Asia, and widely and commonly cultivated in temperate areas elsewhere. Wikipedia.

The stamp is one I have described before. The country is Poland but there is a Greek flag on the stamp. How so?




Jerzy Iwanow-Szajnowicz (GreekΓεώργιος Ιβάνωφ-ΣαϊνόβιτςGeorgios Ivanof-Sainovits; 14 December 1911 – 4 January 1943) was a Polish-Greek athlete who fought as a saboteur in the Greek Resistance during World War II and was executed by the Germans.



He became an athlete in the G.S. Iraklis Thessaloniki sport club, and a distinguished swimmer: in 1934, he became Greek champion in 100 m freestyle.[1] After becoming a Polish citizen in 1935,[3] he became part of AZS Warsaw's water polo team and of the Polish national water polo team, and was declared Poland's top water polo player in 1938.

With the outbreak of World War II and the German invasion of Poland, he helped to organize the evacuation of Polish refugees coming to Thessaloniki, and in 1940 was enlisted into Polish intelligence.[2] Fleeing the German invasion of Greece in April 1941, he left the country for the Middle East, to join the exiled Polish forces there. There he was chosen by the Polish intelligence and the SOE for an undercover mission in Greece.

So what about me... 
We were on Sardinia, on the north coast on a camper park right on the beach. It was called Oasis Gallura.



We were parked right by the exit to the beach. The next photo is from the Internet:
There were lots of trees for much needed shade as it has been very hot. We had a small parasol, mainly for the dog.
This was the view:

To my great surprise, my friend Antonia's daughter Maria was in Sardinia too and not too far from where we were. I hadn't expected that as she had given birth to her lovely baby boy Atlas only weeks ago. We decided to meet.
Here I am cuddling little Atlas while Maria nurses her two year old.


We went out for lunch (Can't find the photos of the lunch).

During a scuffle with other dogs, my friends dog Roxy was wounded. We went to the vet to to have a look.
But she wasn't bitten, it was an old scar that had re-opened. Of course it had to be stitched and we spent the whole evening at the vets.
All is well now as far as I know.

We decided to catch the ferry to Barcelona, so we parked at the ferry terminal. Before we went to sleep, we went into the town of PortoTorres for a nice meal. 
My first course was tuna:
I love raw tuna. It was very delicious.

And as it is T for Tuesday (hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth) I will show you my drink, which was a nice glass of white wine:

I think I'll leave it at that. I have some cat funnies for you later on.

Meanwhile wishing you all a very happy T-Day, and a great 4th of July to my US friends.

Hugs,

Lisca
























10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I can't wait to hear more about your adventure Lisca. It sounds great so far. LIlacs are my favorite flower too; that smell is amazing. And what an interesting story about the postage stamp. Did you like traveling with Roxy? I hope she healed ok. l like that beach photo. I hope you're glad to be home, and have a super T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

You have really been off on adventures these past weeks. Love the pics with the babies, so sweet! Jerzy Iwanow-Szajnowicz was a real hero, thanks for sharing the story! Have a great week, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Your photos are beautiful. How great to see those rather distant places (even though they are still in Europe!)
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

So nice to travel and visiting friends. Syringa grew wild in N. Idaho where I used to live. None here in Oregon. It is such a pretty plant. Thank you for sharing the story of Jerzy Iwanow-Szajnowicz. Have a lovely time where ever you are.

nwilliams6 said...

So fun to see your travel pictures - it is so pretty there. So sad about the dog. I love tuna too and that tuna you had looks scrumptous. Wonderful stamp for a wonderful man. A treat to visit with you, Lisca. Happy T-day and hugz

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting man and wow, you sure had a great trip. Sad it´s over already... Such a beautiful place by the ocean...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also love lilac, but mine didn't survive when I brought it to Kansas from Missouri. It's a lovely postcard, though. How sad for Szajnowicz. War is hell!

That camper park on the beach looks like it was nice. Nice the dog had shade. Sounds like Roxy had a bad day with the other dogs. Glad she will be OK, at least.

Nice to see your friend's daughter show up where you are. Isn't two a bit old to be sucking mother's milk? Of course, I've never had kids, so I could be wrong.

I know lots of people love raw tuna, but I never acquired a taste for it. Your wine looks good, though.

Thanks for sharing your postcard, stamp, Roxy and her adventures, your friend and new baby, as well as your tuna and white wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear friend.

Carola Bartz said...

Lilac was my dad's favorite plant as well. He simply couldn't resist the fragrance and went out to smell it whenever possible.
I love the picture with the babies on the beach. Here in the US your friend couldn't nurse her baby without covering up. It's the most natural thing in the world - except here. Very weird indeed. I'm glad that my daughter was born while we were still living in Germany and I could nurse her whenever and wherever I wanted (and she) wanted.

I received your ATC and postcard a while ago - I hope you reveiced mine as well. Take care.

Sharon Madson said...

Well, Lisca, you see I am late visiting, too. That was so interesting about that athlete, and sad at the same time. I am glad you had such a great trip. It is hot here also. Love your funnies. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Lilacs are so beautiful and fragrant. Sadly, they make me Achhoo! Lovely adventure you had. Love he beach. So nice that you were able to connect with your friend and cuddle the baby. Love his name. Your dinner sounds delicious especially the glass of white wine. Happy T Day - CJ