Tuesday 7 June 2022

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 7 June 2022 - T for books (lots of books) and some flowers and produce

 Hello lovely ladies,

The weekend is over now. In the UK it has been a very important Bank Holiday weekend. (Queen Elizabeth's 70 year jubilee.) There have been parties and other events and great TV watching. We have seen a little bit on our computer. I thought the Queen's sketch with Paddington was delightful!

This blog is about books and my postcard comes from Germany:

The photo is entitled Old Bookshop by Francesca Phillips. There's no date. In my opinion it is totally timeless. I would love to visit a bookshop like this!

The stamps are lovely, especially the large one which commemorates 200 years German Bible Society.
It is a stamp from September 2012.

Because we both have been ill with Covid, we have been self isolating and consequently I have been reading more than usual. I have lots of unread books on my Kindle and  I will tell you about a few that I read recently. First off is A Boy and his dog at the end of the world.


It's an apocalyptic story about a boy Griz who lives with his mum & dad on a remote Scottish island. He lives in a time where the world is empty because the population has dwindled due to fertility problems worldwide. Griz had a sister once but she fell off a cliff into the sea and was never seen again. One day a visitor comes to the island to trade and he steals Griz's dog Jess. Griz goes after him to find his dog. It's quite an adventure. This book really is a YA book, but I found it very entertaining. It has quite a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.

Here is the author and his dog:


Then there was Death in Delft. As it says on the cover: A 17th century murder mystery.

I was attracted to it as it is set in Delft (a town in the Netherlands) which I know quite well. The protagonist Master Mercurius is an interesting character and I really liked him. One of the characters in the book is Vermeer, the painter. 
If there are more in this series, I will definitely read more.





The author Graham Brack lives with his wife Gillian in Northamptonshire and has two children and three granddaughters, who are too young to be allowed to read Grandad's books, so he provides other stories for them.

He trained and practised as a pharmacist and has also written about football, rugby and medical law.




Jesse Burton's The Muse is a very interesting book. It has dual timelines. It switches from  London in the 60s to Southern Spain at the beginning of the Civil War. The London part has Odelle, who has come from Jamaica to work at an art dealer. One day a picture comes into the shop that causes a stir. The origin of the picture is told in the Spanish part of the story, although the reader doesn't immediately understand how it is all connected. It all gets revealed at the end.
I did like this book.

The Dictionary of Lost 
words by Pip Williams is a novel about the origins of the Oxford English Dictionary, (OED) and how it came about. It took years of collecting words by a professor Murray.


Set around the Scriptorium, first home of the OED, and the life of great lexicographer James Murray and his team of assistants at the beginning of the 20th century. Underpinned by a series of sobering reflections on how language is enabled and limited by gender, power and social class, against the backdrop of the suffragette movement. Highly recommended.
The photo shows Professor Murray and his assistants and also the cards that each word was written on.
I absolutely loved this book.

Mrs England was a holiday read.
 West Yorkshire, 1904. When newly graduated children's nurse Ruby May takes a position looking after the children of Charles and Lilian England, a wealthy couple from a powerful dynasty of mill owners, she hopes it will be the fresh start she needs. But as she adapts to life at the isolated Hardcastle House, it becomes clear there's something not quite right about the beautiful, mysterious Mrs England.
I liked it, but was happy to move on to something else when I finished it.

The best book I read of this lot was The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn. It's a WWII novel based on a true story, which I later Googled.


In the snowbound city of Kiev, aspiring historian Mila Pavlichenko’s life revolves around her young son – until Hitler’s invasion of Russia changes everything. Suddenly, she and her friends must take up arms to save their country from the Fuhrer’s destruction.

Handed a rifle, Mila discovers a gift – and months of blood, sweat and tears turn the young woman into a deadly sniper: the most lethal hunter of Nazis.

Yet success is bittersweet. Mila is torn from the battlefields of the eastern front and sent to America while the war still rages. There, she finds an unexpected ally in First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, and an unexpected promise of a different future.

But when an old enemy from Mila’s past joins forces with a terrifying new foe, she finds herself in the deadliest duel of her life.

Absolutely riveting! Mila of course is Ukrainian and the places she fights (like Sebastopol) are names I recognize from the news about the current war there. Unputdownable!


I'm a bit disappointed that none of these books have a drink reference. So I will have to go through my photos and see if I can dig up something. Having been ill, we haven't gone anywhere and our taste buds have been changed with Covid and so our drinks have been limited to water, water and more water!

Did I tell you that my lovely fuchsia  fell off the wall? The (plastic) pot burst and half the plant broke off. 

I was very upset about this but it is picking itself up, as you can see:

Then the other evening as I was watering the plants I saw the fuchsia had a visitor:
It looks like a juvenile ladder snake, but I'm not an expert on snakes.

Our fruit trees are doing well:
And our tiny vegetable patch is doing okay too. (potatoes, shalots and broad beans)

Sunday it was my mother's 98th birthday. My sister went to see her in Holland and sent me a photo of her and mum on the balcony (bottom right). I found some old photos of previous birthdays, and hey presto, we have a collage!

There are some drinks in these photos, so at last I have found my 'ticket' to the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard

Well, my dear ladies, that was it from me today.
I wish you all a very happy T-Day.
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca













 




14 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Wonderful book list! I wish I agreed with you that the photo of the bookstore is timeless -- but it's been years since I've seen a bookstore like that anywhere. They all seem to have neatened up a bit. The closest to that look was downtown and I haven't checked to see how it survived the pandemic.

Good luck recovering from covid!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Diamond Eye is on my wish list. Kate Quinn also wrote the Rose Code which I read earlier this year and really enjoyed and recommend. You have done a lot of reading lately, and I really enjoyed your book post. Another book about the Oxford English Dictionary is called The Professor and the Madman. I read it several years ago and it is nonfiction but I remember it being very good. And I want to visit a bookshop like that also. There was one somewhat like that one in your postcard when I was a kid, but it is sadly long gone. I hope you both feel better soon. And happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

Linda Kunsman said...

ooh I would love to visit a library like the one on your postcard too! You certainly have been an especially avid reader lately-thanks for sharing about these books. Glad to see your fuchsia plant is coming back. I was hoping the critter you were going to show was a hummingbird/nest- NOT a snake-yikes!
Beautiful collage of your lovely mother. A very happy birthday to her, and happy T day to you!

Sharon Madson said...

Love that collage for your mum. That is inspiring me to do something like that, even though my mom is gone. I am sure she had a lovely birthday! I loved the books postcard. A great post! Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

A very happy Birthday that was. I hope for hot summer days to read books on the balcony :-) Happy T-Day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad your mum had a great birthday. You have been reading some good books, I always have my nose in a book, too. Hope you are both really recovered and can get out and about again, take care, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great postcard. The bookstores will soon be obsolete. A sign of our times, I fear.

I've not heard of any of these books but the last one sounds really good to me. I always love a good mystery, too, but I don't seem to have much time to read.

I love the photos of your mother and the way you put all of them together. Thanks for sharing these. Wishing your mother a belated happy birthday and thanks for sharing these with us for T this Tuesday, Lisca.

Empire of the Cat said...

Wow happy birthday to your mother! I love old bookshops too, when I was training I got to visit lots of them. I love the smell! The Kate Quinn book and the medieval murder mystery look good too me. I've read the Muse and her other book. Your poor fuchsia, but it does look like it is recovering and your fruit is way more advanced than ours thanks to your lovely climate. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such great postcards and books! Wow, many happy birthday wishes to your mum 😁. I love the photo collage you put together to celebrate - perfect! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

I thought the Queen having tea with Paddington Bear was so sweet. Your garden looks wonderful and I hope the fuschia makes a recovery. Happy Birthday to your mom. Happy T Day

jinxxxygirl said...

What a lovely post Lisca! My you HAVE been reading!! I've been off the reading wagon here lately... I need to get back on. So sad about your fuschia!! I woulf be so upset.. Happy Birthday to your mom!!! I would be in HEAVEN in that bookshop!!! Happy Tday! hugs! deb

Carola Bartz said...

Happy birthday to your mum! You have read quite a lot and it was interesting to read your reviews. I don't know any of the books, and the one about the OED sounds very interesting. I'm not sure I would have loved to discover a snake in my plants. I hope you will fully recover and get back your sense of taste.

DVArtist said...

Happy birthday to your mom. You are reading some good books. Sorry you are still sick. Your garden looks great. Have a very nice day.

pearshapedcrafting said...

That's a fabulous postcard and I love the stamps sorry you had covid but what a great chance to read - all of those books look like good reads so thanks for the info! A snake curled up in your fuchsia pot? Ooooh!!! Happy Birthday to your Mum-lovely pics of her! Happy T Day, Chrisx