Friday 17 June 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 17 June 2022 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

How are you all? Here things are much better. Hubby has had a good week, so we're both smiling.

My postcard for today made me smile for two reasons. The first is the subject matter: Tiramisu!


Tiramisu is my favorite dessert. I have lived in Italy for many years so I have eaten it the way it is supposed to be made. Yumyum! The card was sent to me by Marie in Canada. I belong to Postcrossing, an online worldwide organisation for exchanging postcards. My username there is Olddutch. Real name and address are only given to the person sending the card. 
What she wrote on the back is the second thing that made me smile: she wrote that in Canada, my Postcrossing username (which is Olddutch) is a brand of potato crisps!


The stamp is tiny but very nice:
It is the Cabot Trail. Looping nearly 300 kilometres around the northern part of Cape Breton Island, the Cabot Trail offers you stunning coastal views, rugged highland panoramas, and this world-famous tourist destination that turns into a spectacular fall scene as the leaves of old-growth forests turn beautiful colours.

This post is about the things that made me smile, so here goes:

As I mentioned above, we are doing really well. Hubby is feeling better and is able to eat more. And of course I am making him nice things. He is still on the Ensure drinks. He has chocolate flavored ones but they still taste a bit 'artificial'. I have now dug up my little ice cream maker and I turn the Ensure drink into a nice ice cream (I add some whipped cream too).

On Sunday I went out with some friends from the Photoclub. (I wrote about it in my previous blogpost). Here are a few more photos:
The place was called Cueva del Agua (Water cave).

There were water falls.

Caves and water.


One of the things I have been making is a pineapple upside down cake. Hubby requested it the other day. The top of the cake with the pineapple goes in first. So this is what the beginning looks like:

Then the cake layer goes on top and the cake gets baked. When ready, I turn it upside down and, hew presto, we have a pineapple upside down cake!

It is so dark because I use brown sugar which is caramelized in the melted butter. Yumm!

I also made some crumpets. Hubby still can't eat bread for some reason, but he can eat crumpets.
I should have turned them round so you could see the holes.

It's very hot here at the moment. Unseasonally hot. It is not even summer yet and we have had temperatures in the high thirties. The other morning hubby went to have a blood test, and even in the morning at 8:30 it was already 24 degrees.

It means we are staying indoors as much as we can. We don't have air conditioning but our downstairs flat is very cool. (We built it ourselves and it is super insulated!)

That is all I can tell you this week. Of course I am adding a few funnies and thinkies at the end. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time. 

Have a lovely weekend.
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca
























 


6 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, so you are a couch potato, how funny is that!
Oh, do you have stories to share about your time in Italy?

Wonderful how you take care of your Hubby with the ice cream.

LOL, yesterday a new colleague was added to the team. He´s in Spain and complained he could fry an egg on his car.
Oh, just send the temps over here, I love heat and (in the South?) 40C are likely here (sad I live in the North).

Good funnies - to a happy weekend, and health!

mamapez5 said...

That was a good week Lisca. The ice-cream made from Graham's special drinks sounds like a great idea.
Your outing with the camera club sounds and looks interesting. I looked it up on google maps but there is a long line of places fairly close to you, all called Cueva de Agua. Sometime could you please send me a sample of the map showing which bit you went to. When my son comes over from Denmark he likes to do a day out to somewhere like that, and I am running out of suggestions that are not too far away.
The pineapple upside down cake looks scrummy. I love it but I am trying hard to avoid all cakes and biscuits as my sugar count is too high. It is a struggle for someone like me, especially when I see the lovely things other folk are making!
I had a good chuckle at some of your funnies this week. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca. Loving the desserts today, both of them. Looks like you've had a good week. It's been quite hot here too and they say it will be hotter still today though it's quite breezy so doesn't feel so bad. Loving the funnies and I'm definitely with W.E.B. Du Bois. I think I've heard someone repeat that recently but it can't be anyone from our government! Have agreat weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I had no idea you knew my mother Lol! She could have been telling me off it's quite possible. Brayer is the correct name though probably American as we have always known them as rollers when I was teaching. Kate is a lovely person and great fun. She did produce some CDs but that was a long time ago. Thanks for the visit to mine xXx

Annie said...

I'm pleased to hear better health is on the cards now. Your pineapple upside down cake looks so yummy...It's ages since I made one. I hope it cools down a bit for us all....it was 31 degrees here today. Love the funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad Graham is better. Nice that you made ice cream out of Ensure for him. LOVE the postcard and more great photos from the cave for us to enjoy. Your funnies are great, especially the last one, which is SO on point.