Friday 11 March 2022

A Postcard a Day - Friday 11 March 2022 - Friday smiles

 Hello lovely ladies, How are you all? Is the sun shining in your life? Or are there clouds? Remember every cloud has a silver lining and that is what this blog is about.

My postcard for today has a gorgeous smile:

She is a lovely lady in Daur national dress. This is the info on the back of the card:

And there are some beautiful stamps:

My week has been very varied, including mundane housework, hospital visits and the first signs of spring.
On Friday my mum, who had been in a special clinic to recuperate from her fall, went home, so that certainly made me smile. Mum is 97 so I am really privileged to still have my mum around. My cousin picked her up and when they had put away all her stuff, she sat down and said: Now I want a glass of wine!

Saturday was a really dreary day. It was grey and cloudy and it drizzled rain. Yuck! I had to dry my washing indoors. That doesn't happen very often here.
Cooking dinner was a challenge as Hubby is preparing for a bowel test and his bowels have to be empty by Tuesday. I think I cooked white rice and steamed some white fish.

On Sunday it was still raining. Hurray, as we have had a drought of nearly a year. The soil needs it. The reservoirs are nearly empty. 
We watched our church service online and it stopped in the middle of the service. It turned out they had a power failure. We spoke to our pastor on Tuesday and he said they had to dig up the street to fix it.

Lots of signs of spring are visible, like the buds on my climbing rose. And a real surprise is my amaryllis. It has started to flower again!
Monday, still dull weather and a bit of rain (not a lot though). Last week a local artist painted the side of this building. I really like it. It is reminiscent of the geometrical tile designs in the Alhambra.

Hubby had a long video chat with his daughter on Monday. She is also a musician and in the photo he is letting her hear s particular bit of music. Thank God for technology.
On Tuesday we had clear skies and we could see there was a lot of snow on the mountains. 
It was International Women's Day. And our village had organized a lot of things for this week. I'm joining on Saturday for a (bus) trip to ten villages that have art and graffiti about gender equality. Sounds like fun.
Can you see my amaryllis? Isn't it beautiful? 

Hubby's endoscopy was at 3:30 in the afternoon and he had to take laxatives in the morning and generally spent most of his time in the bathroom. But when it was all done, I asked him what he wanted to eat and he said: pancakes! So I cooked him pancakes.

On Wednesday I went to the gym and I baked a cake. I also potted the hortensia that my friend had gifted me.

On Thursday morning I went to the baker to buy a large loaf of bread. They should have had one on Wednesday, but they forgot to leave one for me. I have placed the bread in front of the tea pot so you can see how big it is.
Then I went to the butcher to get a free range chicken. There is not much choice in weight as they are local chickens and this one was huge (two and a half kilos!) Just the breasts weighed 250 grams each.  I cooked a roast dinner and then vacuum bagged the rest in portions and stuck it in the freezer. We will get four more meals out of that lady.

Also on Thursday we spoke to the oncologist and hubby has to go for an info and planning session at the radiotherapy department in Granada. This is going to happen on Tuesday. Then we will hear how many fractions he will have. 

That was my week. What was yours like? 
I'm going to link with Annie at A Stitch In Time, and I will also post some funnies at the end.

Have a great weekend, and I'll see you all next week.
Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca






















10 comments:

DVArtist said...

very nice post. I read every word. Lots going on in your life. I am so glad you mom is doing well and she looks great for 97. Hope all is well with Graham. Have a lovely weekend.

kathyinozarks said...

I love the photos posing with the sculptures those were fun. Lots going on in you week. glad your Mum is home and she looks happy and well too. that is a large loaf bread. enjoyed all the photo collages Happy Friday and weekend-snow here today.

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, you had some busy week!
Here... nothing. But reading yours feels like I jogged around the quarter!

The smartphone-pic sure made me laugh! And, ohhh, the girl!
A happy Friday to you!

Annie said...

You’ve fitted a lot into your week again. I hope Graham’s treatment goes well.
I’ve chuckled at the funnies...right place at the right time eh?
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

That was quite a week you had. It sounds as though we had rather more rain than you, but this area relies on agriculture so we really need much more.
Your hortensia is what I call a hydrangea. I have two but thay are only just starting this year's new growth, so they won't be flowering just yet.
I love the tile-effect wall. It is very well done.
Chickens are pretty huge in our butchers too. If i want one small enough to go in my rotisserie oven, I have to get it from Lidls. I am very good at getting several meals even from the small ones.
I hope Graham gets the treatment he need now. You will stay on my prayer list until he is given the all clear. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Beautiful postcard and amazing stamps this week. Looks like a busy week for you again. I was thinking like Kate that the plant looks like what we call a Hydrangea. Loving the funnies too. Your mum is brilliant for her age maybe it's the wine! Good luck to Graham too. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Mae Travels said...

That's a great collection of photos of people with statues. I sometimes think about doing stuff like that, but never actually do.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I came back to explain about my heat, but I see my original comment, which I left before I fell asleep on Thursday night, is no longer there. It was the first comment and I can't figure why it is no longer showing, as I am sure you wouldn't delete it, since it was nothing bad. Just glad to see your mom home and how large that chicken is, etc.

What I came back to talk about was what you wrote in your comment on Friday.

"I hadn't realized that you heat your house by electicity. Perhaps you can look out for something to use when the power goes, like a little pot stove that you can burn any old rubbish is. It's good as a stand-by. Or an open fire and keep some fire wood for emergencies. There's nothing worse than being cold. Because electricity is so expensive here, we try to be as little as possible dependent on it."

First, my house is heated by natural gas, not electricity. However, the gas has an electric starter. A good analogy is a hand held lighter (some call them cigarette lighters). You have the fuel, but the fuel only ignites once the flint rubs against something to cause a spark. My gas heater requires that same spark of electricity in order to ignite. No electricity, no way to ignite the fuel.

Having a little pot stove would be a disaster. Many people die each year from carbon monoxide or from heaters catching curtains or furniture on fire. I would have NO place to put it. I have NO WAY to burn a fire because I have no fireplace. My home has central heat (and air conditioning), and is not built like yours where you use pips to fuel your furnace. Where in the world would I keep an open fire? An open fire would burn my house down.

BTW, electricity here is twice as cheap as natural gas. Electricity is my cheapest monthly bill after water. Even my internet is more expensive than my electric bill and I have the cheapest and slowest internet speed they allow. That's why, instead of heating the whole house with gas, I use a small electric heater in my office, my bath, and my craft room.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a week you had! So pleased that your Mum is home. My hubby had his endoscopy the other week but had to have both ends looked at - he too was on 'white' food for week. It seems that your hubby didn't have long to wait after the 'clear out' - hubby had to have his the night before even though his appointment was for 1.30pm. Love those funnies! Love the post card and stamps too1 Hugs, Chrisx

Celtic house said...

So glad that your Mum is finally home, I'm sure she enjoyed that glass of red wine when she was back in her own surroundings. I hope Graham doesn't have to wait too long for his results and a plan of action, I bet he really enjoyed those pancakes as well.

Hope you are having a lovely weekend.