Tuesday 30 July 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 29 July 2024 - T for sailing boats and light houses,

 Hello lovely girls ( and T-Party goers),

It's Tuesday again and we will be joining Elizabeth and Bluebeard at their weekly T-Party. Of course I also have a postcard and some stamps to show you as well as some photo of what I have been up to in Spain, where we are still enduring a heatwave. (No, I won't mention it again, but it's veeeery hot)

Let's start with my postcard. It is the second postcard CJ sent me (first one last week):


It is the Cape Neddick lighthouse, also known as The Nubble. The Visit Maine website writes: This oft-photographed lighthouse was built in 1879 on a tiny, off-shore island, or 'nubble,' in York. It features a Victorian keeper's house with gingerbread trim and a lantern with miniature cast-iron lighthouses on its railing. It's so close to land you can view it easily from York's seaside Sohier Park.
Photo taken from the Visit Maine website.

The lighthouse is 41 foot high and the house and grounds are not open to the public, but can be viewed from the mainland.



The stamps are amazing! (Thanks CJ):

The first one, from 2020 is Bugs Bunny (would you believe) as a mermaid:

In commemoration of the 80th anniversary of Bugs Bunny’s official screen debut, the United States Postal Service rolled out a sheet of Forever Stamp designs featuring the iconic Looney Tunes character on July 28.

There are 10 designs in total, depicting Bugs wearing fun costumes that allude to various animated shorts films throughout his history.

The stamp above portrays Bugs as a sultry mermaid wearing red lipstick from 1944’s Hare Ribbin’.

I found another one:

This other stamp, from the same series I found on the internet, shows shows Bugs dressed as the powerful female figure Brunhilde from the 1957 animated short What’s Opera, Doc?, which spoofs a handful of operas from the 19th century classical c omposer Richard Wagner. 

Very unusual I thought, to see Bugs Bunny in female attire for a change.

Then there is a stamp about Ellsworth Kelly (May 31, 1923 – December 27, 2015).
Ellsworth Kelly was an American painter, sculptor, and printmaker associated with hard-edge painting, Color field painting and minimalism. His works demonstrate unassuming techniques emphasizing line, color and form, similar to the work of John McLaughlin and Kenneth Noland. Kelly often employed bright colors. Wikipedia

The US postal Service honors Ellsworth Kelly with a series of Forever stamps:
USPS spokesperson said: "Ellsworth Kelly honed his artistic voice as a soldier during World War II when he created camouflage patterns and designed posters for the U.S. government,”  “Today we celebrate the American master of abstract painting with these dynamic stamps that truly capture the creative talent of Kelly and will be seen by millions as Forever stamps on cards and letters.”

The third stamp is from a series called 'Let's go sailing!' issued on the 22nd of January 2022.


 According to the USPS website: Illustrator Libby VanderPloeg grew up in Grand Haven, MI, a little harbor town on lake Michigan, so sailboats were always dotting her views as a kid. With these memories in mind, she created two colorful, abstract images that capture the essence of sailing.

Now for some photos from Spain:
This is my son (left) in Almería in front of a mural depicting a bar. It looked very real.

More photos of Almería on my previous blogpost (Friday 26 July).

I have another little property nearby, a cave house in  the municipality of Gor. We visited Gor and lo an behold, the bullring was open. In the 20 years we have had this property, I had never seen inside the bullring. I think they were painting it for the upcoming corrida.


They are preparing for the upcoming bull run. Here the poster:

It's a bit like Pamplona, where bulls runs through the streets and young men show their bravery by running with them.

Here is a photo from the local newspaper of the 2019 bull run in Gor:

What else have we done? Ah, when we were in Almería, we stoped at the beach and had a drink. I saved that photo for today so I can join the T-Party with my Aperol Spritzer:


That is all for today. 
I hope you'll all visit Bluebeard and Elizabeth at the T-Party. Meantime, I will say Happy T-Day to all!

Lisca














8 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I love the Bugs Bunny toon with the operas. In that Brunhilde costume he offends Elmer Fudd (in another costume, of course). Elmer then sings to the tune “Ride of the Valkeries” — KILL THE WABBIT KILL THE WABBIT…

Have a great week. I enjoyed your post about your family’s visit.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

When I opened this post was I surprised to see your postcard from CJ. For a few years I lived 5 minutes away from this lighthouse. I still visit it a couple of times a year because it isn't very far from my home. It is a small world, isn't it? And boy, that mural did surprise me. I would never have guessed it was a mural. And you look quite happy sipping your drink at the beach. Is your son and family still visiting? Enjoy! Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Very cool stamps indeed.
And wow, that mural does look 100% real! Amazing!
The bull run sure is a bit crazy of a tradition.
The pic of you made me smile - happy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I looked for the Bugs series on the USPS website, but they are not showing them yet. Too soon, I guess.

I remember seeing that lighthouse from a time Erika and her husband drove by it on their boat. Small world indeed.

That mural blew me away. I had to look a third time in order to make sure it was a mural.

I remember seeing the running of the bulls one year when they were televised. Never in a million years would I want to run with the bulls. Loved seeing you there, though.

You look very happy with that drink. LOVE your bracelet. Thanks for sharing your week with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

jinxxxygirl said...

I enjoyed your post so much Lisca! Especially the photo of you with your Spritzer! What lovely postcards and stamps from CJ! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous postcard from CJ and all those postage stamps are wonderful 😊. Looks like you had a lovely time in Almeria and as you know from last week, I love Aperol Spritz - cheers! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Rostrose said...

Dear Lisca, I almost fell for the mural photo, at first glance I thought it was a real bar... I think you can link it to Sami's Monday murals, it fits in perfectly there (and I haven't seen it in the thumbnails there yet) - if not, then next week: https://sami-colourfulworld.blogspot.com/
The postcard with the stamps is great - the blue sky, the beautiful lighthouse - and then bugs in women's clothes :-D (a great crossdresser!) and all the other pretty stamps!
I'd love to toast you with an Aperol Spritz! CHEERS! :-)
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/07/ruckschau-auf-den-rest-vom-mai-2024-und.html

CJ Kennedy said...

I’m so glad the post cards arrive. There is a small packet, but I don’t know how long that will take to get to you. Hopefully, soon. Wow,, was I fooled! I thought your son was standing in front of an actual bar! Happy T Day