Tuesday 13 February 2024

APostcard A Day - Tuesday 13 February 2024 - T for more postcards, sculptures and photographs

Hello lovely peeps,

Today I'm going to show you the other postcards that Elizabeth kindly sent me: 


Now this is a state that I am familiar with: Nevada

The state bird and state flower are features on the card, I could add that the state tree is the single-leaf Pinon. (This is mentioned on the back of the card, but Wikipedia says it is the Bristlecone Pine).


Carson City is the capital, but Las Vegas is the largest and probably the best known city. 
When staying in Arizona one spring, we traveled into Nevada because I love the desert. The name seems a misnomer (Nevada means 'snowy') as the state is hot and arid. Although I didn't see any, there are mountains in Nevada. We ended up eventually also spending a few days in Las Vegas, which wasn't my choice (as I don't like gambling) but in the end I quite enjoyed it without touching a single slot machine.

Minnesota is another state I'm familiar with. For many years I had a dear friend called Toni who lived in Bloomington. I went to visit her several times and they took me to lots of nice places.

The name Minnesota is derived from the Sioux Indian, meaning 'sky-tinted water'. The state flower is the Ladyslipper, and the state bird is the Loon. 


The capital is StPaul, which is so close to Minneapolis that they call it the Twin Cities. It is said that Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. A bit like Finland. Could that be the reason there are so many Scandinavians in the state? It might also be because Minnesota is cold. Even in summer. Every time I have been there I have felt cold. But it has beautiful natural beauty. 

What have I been doing this week? My highlight (apart from another good professional massage) was an outing with a group from the photo club to an art exhibition in a village half an hour down the road, Olula del Rio. 
There were sculptures, paintings and photographs. I loved the photographs best of all.

I had seen this 'head' many times when driving past. The front of the 'head' looks like this:
I'm wearing a light blue jacket (on the right).

The entrance was a bit shocking as this was above the door (But that's modern art for you!):
Inside was a fantastic exhibition of the (local) photographer Carlos Perez Siquier. Read/see more here.

I really enjoyed the photography section:



Today we meet up with the lovely ladies of the T-Party hosted by Elisabeth and Bluebeard. All you need is an image of a drink or a drink reference. Here is mine:

It was the ladies' toilet at the museum. There is a bottle of something in the photo.

Now to finish I have a Valentine's joke:


Have a Happy T-Day all!

Take care,

Lisca






















10 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting entrance to the art place indeed.
LOL, for a sec I thought your reference is the toilet-water. Good shot!
LOVE the Valentine's joke, happy T-Day, hugs

My name is Erika. said...

There are mountains in Nevada. In fact the most southern glacier in North America is there. But the mountains are a long way from Las Vegas. I visited them in the fall of 2022. And wow, that looks like a fun place to take photos. I love that big head. Although those statues over the entrance could be a bit embarrassing or maybe not some people's style. It sounds like you had a good week with that photo shoot. And have a happy T day Lisca. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

I’m always interested in your point of view on the states in the US. I’ve been to almost all of them (maybe to all of them) but I’ve never been aware of the state birds, flowers, etc. I could look it up, but I don’t even know the state bird etc. of my state or the state where I’m visiting right now and often visit.

Your art museum/exhibit look fascinating.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Empire of the Cat said...

looks like an interesting place to visit. I wonder if most people notice the people at the entrance, maybe they don't look up? Happy T Day! Elle xx

DVArtist said...

I had to laugh about what Nevada means. I lived there for many years and I can tell you it SNOWS there!!!!! Nice cards that E. has sent out to all of us. I would love to visit that exhibit. I think it is brilliant. Have a very nice day today.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I seldom visit Wikipedia for info, but I did check and the state tree IS the bristlecone pine. That may be why the cards were discontinued. All the cards were discontinued for some reason or other. Usually, it was because the photo (see other cards received) was outdated.

I went to Las Vegas, too. Outside the city the first time I went, they were giving 10 free slots shaped like very heavy coins. I played 8 and kept two for myself. No gambling for me. My favorite was visiting Hoover Dam. That was what made me happy.

That head is amazing. So was the modern art. Some of the photos were quite impressive. LOVED the Valentine "gift." Cute. And of course, I laughed at the drink you chose in the restroom. I always love outside the box T day drinks and that was hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

Darla said...

I like the area of Nevada that borders with California at Lake Tahoe. Haven't been to the other state you mentioned. The art museum looks interesting. I enjoy going with a group to a museum as usually there is some interesting conversation afterwards.

Carola Bartz said...

Bristlecones are some of the oldest trees if not THE oldest trees, and they're truly magnificent. Nevada can get awfully cold in winter and they sure have snow there. When I think of Minnesota I think of mosquitoes... The exhibit you visited looks fascinating and very interesting.

Kokopelli said...

What lovely postcards! Happy T Day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love the two postcards! The art museum looks interesting! I love photo exhibitions! I smiled at your drink photo! We went through Prestbury last week. Wilmslow is our favourite place to shop as we get a walk and to get a decent cup of coffee! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx