Friday 8 September 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 8 September 2023 - Friday Smiles (and sweet memories)

 Hello lovely ladies, Today is my mum's cremation. In a short while family members will be arriving and we will be going to a funeral chapel at 2 pm where we will sit  at small tables with a cup of coffee reminiscing about my dear mum.

Here she is on her 99th birthday. She was an extraordinary woman. She had an interesting life as she was 16 when the war broke out.


This is an old photo of my mum with my sister and I (I'm on the right). My mum was always elegantly dressed. This photo was taken in 1955 or 56.

I'm enjoying the time this week with my sister while we try to organize a funeral and also clearing the house. The weather is lovely. We have been shopping as i didn't have any clothes with me.

And we have been out for dinner last night (No photos) as my brother-in-law came to join us.

Of course we are very sad that my mum is no longer with us, but she was 99 and we all have lovely memories of her, so in spite of the sadness, I can still smile. On top of that, it will be great to see relatives and friends we haven't seen for a long time. I'm really looking forward to that.

Have a lovely weekend all.
Hugs,
Lisca

























5 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I remember my Mom´s funeral and indeed,, whilst at my Dad´s I was totally beside myself at Mom´s was laughter and stories. Because of her Siblings (and 2-year-old Niece).
I hope you can share lots of good memories... Hugs
That straw is really a sad thing...

Annie said...

Thinking of you and your family today Lisca. At 99 I'm sure it will be a celebration of her life but she was a wonderful lady and will be sadly missed by so many I'm sure.
Sending you big hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

I was sad to hear about your mum. She was a grand old lady with a lovely smile. Having had a lot of family funerals to attend over the years, I fully understand the pleasure of meeting up with relatives that you haven't seen fir years, and funerals should be celebrations of a life well lived.
Just think what your mum has seen and experienced in 99 years. Send love, Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry Lisca I'm late today. We've been out in the garden most of the day and by the time I'd showered, done dinner and fed the dogs and just about had enough so I'm catching up a bit before bed. No one really likes a funeral but when someone has had a good long life like your mum it's really not so sad to see them off and everyone has a memory to tell so I'm sure there were lots of smiles too. Wishing you a happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wanted to stop by before I went to the High Tea put on by my PBS station. Once again, like others, I am so sorry for your loss, although I've known about it since Tuesday. At 99, she definitely lived a long and prosperous life.

I loved the photo of your mom with you and your sister. She certainly WAS elegant.

Some of your funnies were great today. Hope you have a super rest of the weekend, dear.