Friday 22 September 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 22 September 2023 - Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Stressful times for me, but I'm holding it together (I think). I'm sorry I missed last Friday. We were traveling. My Dutch friend with the campervan was going to drive to Portugal on her own and she offered to take me to Spain. 

But let me show you my postcard:

It's the famous 'Aunties' illustrated by Inge Löök (From Finland). I love those characters! I always said, when I'm old, I want to be like them. But I'm 72 years old, when am I going to get old? Life is what it is and I try to enjoy it as much I can. There's highs and lows. I'm going through a low at the moment now my mum has died. She was my last link to my native country (Netherlands) and I always traveled to Holland twice a year to visit my mum. Now there is no good reason to make the effort. To me, this is another loss on top of losing my mum. 

Lets not digress. Here is the stamp:
It's a stamp from a series of stamps with images that simbolise the Netherlands, like a bicycle, a cow etc
They are quite fun I think.

So, where was I? So last Friday I was in France and for some reason didn't have internet on my phone. 


I phoned my provider who explained what I had to do, but that didn't work and i thought it didn't really matter as we would be in Spain the next morning. 
There we encountered torrential rains!
Especially around Valencia. We were lucky not to find any roads flooded.
We traveled 2250 km in 4 days.

Yesterday we went to the reservoir. My friend wanted to go for a swim and I wanted to see how low the water was. 
As you can see, it was very low. Record low in fact. I think it is only 21% full.

My friend loves cats and whenever we are at a restaurant, she attracts cats for some reason:

And at a different place a similar cat:
Cute hey?

That's it from me today. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time to share my smiles, as in spite of everything I have had lots to smile about.
As per usual, I'll put some funnies at the end.

Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

I photographed this in a Rotterdam metro station. It reads: "Just turn them inside out, then you'll have 10". "Wishing you all the best in your time as a student." Advertising an internet store similar to Amazon.





























4 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Yesterday my new colleague and I discovered we have both lost our parents. On 19th it would´ve been my Mum´s Birthday, on 20th her Mum´d passed away. We both fought hard to not cry at the workshop.
Mum is gone 12 years now. But if we wouldn´t still cry they would have meant not much (if that helps you).
Yes, I hope to be happy, too, when I´m old.
21%... what a weird summer. Cute cat-pic! Plural!

Oh, boy to the shorts! OUTCH on that tattoo. Thank you. Now I know where planes come from! :-)
Poor snow white.
Have a great Friday, hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That was a fun postcard., I enjoyed the stamps, too, especially tge windmill.

Sorry you are having a hard time dealing with your mother's death. Two family deaths in a year can be overwhelming. It is going to last awhile, but hopefully, after a certain time, you will replace the sadness with only the good memories of the past.

You would think all that rain would have helped the reservoir, but the same is true here, too. Water levels are so low, even an all day of rain didn't raise our reservoir levels.

Laughed and laughed at Karen not making it and John Travolta. Those were both HILARIOUS!!!

Hope your weekend gets better and you can enjoy time with your company.

Annie said...

So sorry you're struggling. It's been a very difficult time. Sending you lots of love and hugs.
I loved the funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

My name is Erika. said...

I think your friend attracts cats because the cats know she loves them. I think animals are very sensitive to what people feel. Those are great photos. I sort of know what you mean about now having no reason to go back to the Netherlands. (Not that you couldn't just go, right?) Since my Mom passed I don't get back to my hometown about 2+ hours away. I could just go, right? But I don't. Sometimes I just miss driving there though, and doing a few things besides visiting my mom. Have a great weekend Lisca. hugs-Erika