Tuesday 11 September 2018

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 11 Sept 2018 - T for ....

Hi everyone, hubby and I are traveling and at the moment we are in a hotel in the middle of Spain outside a beautiful little town called Cuenca. We are waiting to go out for dinner. Here people eat late so there is no restaurant open before 8:30pm. 
I am joining the T-party that Elizabeth and Bluebeard organises.

I am writing this on my iPhone and iPad but I don’t know how to do this. I’m really sorry that this is such a mess. I don’t seem to be able to change the font and I don’t know how to scroll down on this thing, so just to say I have got some photos of a festival that our friends went to, which is hugely popular. The photos were taken by our friend Andy Andrew Watson). 
I’ll say goodbye and happy T Day here as I don’t know how to get to the bottom of the page.

So here is A funny that I found:


last week, (thursday) was the festival of Cascamorras and the friends of our conversation group went to celebrate that in nearby Baza. We didnt join them as it involves getting very, and i mean very dirty. Read the following if you want to know what its all about:

HISTORY OF CASCAMORRAS

The origins of the festival are impressive, with different versions of the legend, of which this is the most widely accepted. When a workman from Guadix nicknamed Cascamorras was building a church on the site of a mozarabe temple, he found a sacred image of the Virgen de la Piedad (Our Lady of Mercy) buried in the ground. Both Baza and Guadix claimed the find as their own. The tribunals decided that the image should remain in Baza, except one day a year when it could be taken to Guadix, but it seems that neither town trusted the practicalities of this decision.    
Either before or after the tribunal's decision, the workman and his fellows from Guadix attempted to take the virgin back to their town, but the people from Baza snatched it back. When Cascamorras returned to Guadix empty-handed, the deeply disappointed villagers castigated Cascomorras and continued to pray to 'their' Virgin who was located in the other town.
Baza declared that on the saint's day, if a nominated person from Guadix was able to reach the Virgin remaining clean, he could keep it for Guadix. Each year the Cascamorras tries to fulfil the pledge, but to this day has never succeeded due to being pelted with eggs and flour and olive oil.

525 years later the festival is more popular than ever with 15 to 25 thousand taking part. It has to be one of the most impressive least known festivals in Andalucia if not Spain. We do recommend it. Perhaps it the longevity that add a fervent interest, it certainly seems to have more at the core than an excuse for a drunken party as some others are heading. In fact there is no alcohol openly consumed at all. Cascamorras run marks the becomes the first day of the Baza feria.







The first traditionally takes place on 6 September in Baza, where hundreds of villagers and onlookers go to a place called Las Arrodeas on a nearby hill over looking the town and cover themselves with black oil (special mix of black paint mixed with ecological olive oil; prepared by the Town hall). At 18.00 hrs the third rocket indicates that Cascamorras has arrived on the hill. Protected by cohorts he begins the run 1,5 km down the hill into the town.   

The locals from Baza are now well prepared to 'dirty' the Cascamorras (by simply rubbing against him) and the first to do so is honoured. The Cascamorras has a porra (rubber ball tied to a wooden stick by a leather chord) to defend himself. His team of cohorts including a flag bearer and a drummer man, try in vain protect him on the hill and through the Baza streets.

There are 10 nominated Juras de Bandera (Flag waving) points along the 6km route which takes from 90 minutes to over two hours to complete. Each year is slightly different as the nominated Cascamorras dictates the pace and adds his character to the event.  

As a reward for his vallient attempt, the Cascamorras is permitted (if he cleans himself up) to enter the Iglesia de la Merced and pray to the Virgin de la Piedad. 

15 comments:

  1. First of all -good job posting from your phone! I have no clue how to do it and have not even attempted it. I love that there is so much culture and history and that you're able to explore it too. You're not going to immerse yourself so much that you cover your self in oil are you? lol
    Enjoy and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting post Lisca. I don't think I would want to get dirty either. You did a great job posting from your phone/ipad. I haven't figured that out yet-especially adding photos. Hope you have safe travels. And happy T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue on how to use a smart phone-so I say you've done good.
    enjoy your trip-hugs Happy T

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good and very helpful information. It's very interesting. I love all the projects you share.
    เที่ยวภาคไหน

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very interesting festival! Have fun on your travels. Love the drinks cartoon. Well done on posting from your journeys! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sincere apologies. I am having a terrible time keeping my internet going. I spent nearly an hour on the phone with AT&T, my internet provider. They can’t seem to fix the problem on their end, so want to send someone out today (Tuesday) to fix the problem. If it’s MY problem, I will need to pay for the call, but they are telling me they believe it’s at their pole.

    Regardless, while I was on hold and could NOT get on the internet, I decided to write this apology to each of you. Many of you know I read every word you write and I try to include a brief comment that shows I have been to visit and have seen your drink. However, I am being told I should shut the computer down every time it locks up, then reboot. I was able to leave comments to two people, but each time I did, the internet went down on me again.

    Since I need to be up early to let the phone guy in (NOT my favorite time of the day), I will leave you with this generic and most grateful T day gratitude. I hope you understand this is totally out of my control and I am grateful you stopped by for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is always so interesting to learn about spanish traditions, thanks for sharing with us!
    i never did anything with my mobile phone except whats-apping;) i would be lost without my pc...
    happy t-day:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a super post, I enjoyed reading about the festival and you did a great job post on your phone. I wouldn't know where to begin.
    Enjoy your holiday .
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the smiles ...lol 😉. The festival sounds so interesting , Jennifer reading about it and seeing the photos. Have fun on your travels and happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fascinating history and celebration. I've never heard of anything like it, but it would be wonderful to be part of a town observance going back that far.

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm fascinatedd by the Cascamorras festival, Lisca. It sounds like good clean (lol) fun. It's nice that they've been able to preserve the orignal religious purpose and keep the booze out of it.

    Enjoy you late dinner. Yawn ;-)

    Happy T-day! Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisca.. well i have never heard of this before. I enjoyed the history of it that you provided. Quite a feat to keep a tradition alive like that for so long.. Happy T day my friend. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...8:30pm certainly is later to eat than I am used too. I am amazed at how different cultural routines are.
    What a interesting looking festival.
    Have fun on your trip!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisca, I grew my indigo plants from seeds and I don't think they will winter over here-so can just replant more seeds early spring. I do have madder dye plants that I will dig up and plant-the dye is in the roots on those

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its sad but true that joke you found about America. Everything is excessive. No good.
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete