Friday 10 November 2017

A Postcard A Day - Friday 10 Nov 2017 - Friday Smiles

Sorry I'm late. I'm ill in bed with flu-like symptoms and a very sore throat. Just because I am not smiling at the moment doesn't mean I have not had any smiles this week.


A big smile was my hubby sweeping the chimney and re-installing it so we can have the stove on.


We have no central heating but a stove that burns almond shells and/or olive pips and/or pellets on one side and wood on the other.
Because of the wood the chimney pipe is double skinned and stainless steel.
On the floor you can see the top bit that has to be attached to the part that he is cleaning. It is all up and running and now we light the fire in the evening as it gets cold when the sun has gone.


Now for some postcards:
 I received this one last week. It shows the cover of Vogue magazine June 1, 1940. Europe was at war (The Netherlands had capitulated on the 15th of May 1940) so for me it is strange to see 50 bathing suits on the front cover. I do realize that the US were not at war, but still....


The stamps are lovely:


The other one is a pin-up:
In her hand she holds a letter which says:"Happy Postcrossing" (Postcrossing is the organisation I belong to to Exchange postcards).
Anyone remember stockings and suspender belts? I certainly do. Stockings were bought one pair at a time and they came in a pretty plastic box. My mum still has one in which she keeps her silver tea spoons.
The card was sent to me from Russia, in an envelope with some ephemera in it. So the stamps on the card are not real stamps but stickers that come with the stamps.
I am showing you these because the one on the left shows Russian lace and the other one looks like a cross stitch design.


Here is some street art I found recently. That would be me on the bed at the moment...


I will go and link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time and with Virginia at Rocking your World Friday and finish with some 'product lies' which might make you smile.


Bye for now. Have a good week,
Hugs,
Lisca




3 comments:

  1. Ah I hope you get better soon, glad you still had a few things to smile about though. the funnies always made me smile. We've had the fire on a couple of times this week - bliss!

    Hope you have a good weekend and week ahead and a quick recovery.

    Much love

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I guess it is fire time for you now. Our evening our chilly but we haven't lit the fire yet. Chris did say today that we ought to try it out, and make sure it is working because we will be needing it very soon.
    I am sorry you are feeling poorly. I had my flu jab this week, so hopefully i will escape this year. I hope you feel much better soon.
    I smiled at the postcards. Certainly not the Vogue cover you would expect at the start of war!
    The funnies always make me smile.
    I hope you are smiling again soon. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better soon. There are colds and the flu going around here too and I was down and out the other day after a few days of feeling awful. By the way- love that quote you mentioned in your comment to me yesterday from Italy about being cold. :) I was surprised to see how your new fangled chimneys are in Spain. WE have an old fashioned one on the top peak of the house that means you have to get on the roof and use a brush. But we need the heat today- it is below 0 degrees C here and there's a bit of a breeze. Hope you are up and feeling better and have a little bit of a healthy weekend. Gugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete