Friday 26 September 2014

Ship Ahoy! - CSI challenge 140

Scrapbook page ‘Ship Ahoy!’


I like to do the CSI challenge (Colors, Stories and Inspiration) http://csicolorstoriesinspiration.ning.com/
This week’s challenge had a nautical theme and beautiful autumn colours.


I’ve documented my very first adventure as a 4 year old. In 1955 my mum wasn’t well and I went to stay with a lovely friend of the family in England.

In those days there were no regular ferries between Holland and England so I traveled on a ship called the Batavier, which sailed between Rotterdam and Tilbury docks in London. 

My Sunday School teacher Ria, who was going to visit England anyway, agreed to take me. I look a bit bewildered in the photographs but I have very sweet memories of that summer.

I liked the last week’s sketch (by Em Stafrace) so much that I decided to use it here. Last week’s double page layout (Almonds) just wasn’t suitable. The pointy design of the sketch sort of looks like the bow of a ship and the nautical theme fits beautifully.


I had some old patterned papers by Cosmo Cricket: ‘Gretel’ which had just the right colours. The Evidence can be found in the polka dots, the animal accent (dolphins) and the nautical element (image of the ship). The Testimony lies in the documenting of an adventure.

The journaling is hidden behind the two photos and can be pulled out at the arrow. It reads: “In June 1955 a friend of the family, Ria, took me to England to stay with my ‘aunty’ Grace in St Ives, Cornwall. Travelling was an adventure and travelling without my parents at the tender age of 4 was an enormous adventure! In those days there were no ferries between Holland and England and I traveled on a ship called the Batavier. Grace took delivery of me and looked after me for a whole, love filled summer.”


Thank you so much for popping by. 
Bye for now and keep.... scrapping!
God bless.
Lisca






7 comments:

  1. How lovely that you have these photos from back then ... all of our family photos got destroyed in a fire caused by a disgruntled worker so I have about a dozen photos and that is all. My children don't have too many because of the cost of developing but my grandies will never have that problem and I am grateful for that.
    However, I digress. This is a beautiful vintage feel layout and I love your take on the sketch. Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so see why you'd use this sketch again....it really is quite striking & I looove your story! What a wonderful adventure for a little girl:):) Love the subtle way you've used the colours to go with your page, too....oh! And I saw you had a win somewhere....I think CSI? Congrats' on that, too:):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. Yes, it was Star Witness for CSI with the Almond double page layout and story. (See previous blogpost)

      Delete
  3. What fabulous photos of a bygone age, preserved memories some frightening, but what nostalgia. Who would have thought that years later you would recreate in a blog post. Amazing really and fascinating. thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisca,

    What a great page! I love the photo of you and Ria out the window, waving. What a wonderful memory you have. I can imagine your parents were beside themselves with worry while you were travelling.

    What an adventure for someone so young!

    Finally getting by to see your WOYWW
    post.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story to scrap and how wonderful that you still have those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous memories! And what an adventure for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete