Hello lovely girls,
I have a most beautiful postcard to show you today (at least I think it is beautiful) and because I'm joining Elizabeth and Bluebeard at the T-Party, I will show you some drinks as I have been out and about again.
But first this lovely postcard:
It is a photo from 1906 by Minna Keene, using the carbon printing process. The Stephen Bulgur Gallery website writes:
Minna Keene, née Bergman, photographer (born 5 April 1861 in Arolsen, Germany; died November 1943 in Oakville, ON). A self-taught photographer, Keene was a member of the London Salon, a society devoted to the promotion of pictorial photography. In 1908, she became the first woman to be admitted as a fellow to the Royal Photographic Society. She immigrated to Canada just before the First World War.
Above is a photo of Minna herself.
I like this photo because of its atmospheric lighting and the fact that she is carrying pomegranates (the Spanish word for pomegranates is 'granada'. As I live in Granada, that hits the spot.)
Let me show you some drinks as I need a 'ticket' to the T-Party hosted by Bluebeard and Elizabeth.
The local Women's Association held their annual lunch. I am the third from the right. There were 15 tables of ten women.
There were several antipasti and tapas before the first course arrived. I had chosen octopus as my first course. Here it is with my drink in the background. I am drinking alcohol free beer as, again, I was driving.
I forgot to take a picture of the main course, which was a nice cut of pork called 'Iberian pork pluma'. It's a prized little cut of Spanish black-footed pig, very tender and beautifully marbled. I enjoyed it very much. So much so that I forgot to photograph it.
My dessert was Pan de Calatrava:
Spanish Media writes: Pan de calatrava is a traditional dessert from Murcia, although its origin has several theories. It is very similar to the flan but with the addition of using leftovers from the previous day, either bread, cakes or muffins.
A sort of glorified bread pudding, with bread/sponge drenched in caramel sauce. Yummy.
In between courses I went outside with my friends to chat and take pictures.
We're just having a bit of fun.
The name of the restaurant is Las Conchas (meaning 'the shells'.)
At the moment I am still in Poland (Krakow) with my two friends. We're staying in a delightful apartment in the centre of town:
12 comments:
As a Canadian, I agree -- always nice when something has a Canadian angle or connection!
I agree; that postcard is a beautiful photo. And I learned something new too. what the Spanish word Granada means. :) That's a big luncheon and it sounds like a big meal too. It all sounds quite tasty. I hope you're having fun in Krakow, and I look forward to seeing your Krakow photos. Happy T day. hugs-Erika
Wonderful photo post card and again you are educating me! I am concerned how you got down off that bench you were standing on. It would be scary for me, but then you are younger! Great photo of you! Happy Tea Day. Hugs.
Happy T-Day. I agree this is a beautiful card with very interesting history. You look so happy standing on that bench. I like what you are wearing too. Have fun over there.
What a stunning postcard. I was delighted to learn about Minna Keene. A true pioneer in her chosen art.
You have a ton of members in your Women's Association. Even before I read about the dessert, I thought that reminded me of flan without the burnt sugar topping. I didn't see any caramel sauce, though. Thanks for sharing your drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca. BTW, I LOVE those shoes you were wearing. Sadly, I can no longer wear shoes that come to a point like that.
That apartment where you are saying in Krakow, Poland reminds me of the building where Hercule Poirot (in the TV show) lived in England. Enjoy your time away.
That should read "staying," not "saying." Shows I didn't proof read my comment before I published it.
I came back to say I am older. 80 and 81 in October. LOL
I enjoyed learning about Minna Keene, so thanks for sharing about her career as a photographer. I love Estrella, but the red label one, that my cousins introduced me to when I was in Spain. I can find it in major cities in Texas, like San Antonio, Austin, and the DFW area, so I usually pick up a 6-pack to bring home with me. I've had all kinds of tapas, and love them all. I've had flan and crema Catalana, but not Pan de Calatrava. Have fun in Poland!
We have just returned from our travels, but don't call it vacation as being retired we can travel anytime 🙂 The Women's Association gathering was a large one and the food aside from octopus, sounded delicious, especially the dessert 😋. The postcard was very unusual and quite lovely.
Thanks for visiting my blog! I’m such a procrastinator and always seem to be playing catch-up with my writing. 😊
If you’d like to read more about Taiwan, you can find my other Taiwan posts by clicking on the related posts or the links in the sidebar.
Your life sounds so interesting, having lived in so many different countries! Do you need to know Spanish to get around in Granada?
I also have a cousin who lives in Bristol, UK. Do you have any recommendations for places to visit or good restaurants to try when we visit her in the not-too-distant future?
Have a great week!
Eileen
My parents used to give us pomegranates in November around Thanksgiving. Always a treat. I didn't know the Spanish word was granada. Looks like a fun time at the Women's Association lunch. Safe travels.
Lovely to meet you Lisca ~ beautiful and creative blog ~ so glad Nicole referred you to my blog ~ Fascinating photos and foods and your travels sound delightful ~ Thanks for commenting on my blog and hope you visit again soon ~ Hugs ^_^
carol and ziggy ^_^
Post a Comment