Hello lovely girls,
Happy September! How time flies! I can't believe it's September. It does mean that days will get cooler thank goodness and the summer season is winding down. Here in Andalusia, children will be going back to school on the 10th, and most of my clubs and groups will start up again towards the end of the month.
My postcard for today comes from Colorado, USA:
It was sent to me via Postcrossing, by Deirdre. She actually lives in South Carolina. She sent me the card on the 31st of July and mentioned that where she lives, schools would be starting in two weeks (ie 14th of August). I'm in Italy now and my grandson doesn't start school until the 14th of September.
With more than 5,000 sites, including 600 cliff dwellings, it is the largest archaeological preserve in the United States. Mesa Verde (Spanish for "green table", or more specifically "green table mountain") is best known for structures such as Cliff Palace, one of the largest cliff dwellings in North America.
Starting c. 7500 BCE Mesa Verde was seasonally inhabited by a group of nomadic Paleo-Indians known as the Foothills Mountain Complex. The variety of projectile points found in the region indicates they were influenced by surrounding areas, including the Great Basin, the San Juan Basin, and the Rio Grande Valley. Later, Archaic people established semi-permanent rock shelters in and around the mesa. By 1000 BCE, the Basketmaker culture emerged from the local Archaic population, and by 750 CE the Ancestral Puebloans had developed from the Basketmaker culture.

The Pueblo people survived using a combination of hunting, gathering, and subsistence farming of crops such as corn, beans, and squash (the "Three Sisters"). They built the mesa's first pueblos sometime after 650, and by the end of the 12th century, they began to construct the massive cliff dwellings for which the park is best known. By 1285, following a period of social and environmental instability driven by a series of severe and prolonged droughts, they migrated south to locations in Arizona and New Mexico, including the Rio Chama, the Albuquerque Basin, the Pajarito Plateau, and the foot of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Isn't that interesting. I visited this site briefly (I would have liked to spend more time but we were on a tour bus) in the year 2000 and have always wanted to go back.
As for me now, I'm in Italy visiting my son who has celebrated his 50th birthday a few days ago.
(Yes, my grandson has very long hair, but he likes it that way)
We had a dinner at the restaurant for the extended family. There will be many drink references for Elizabeth and Bluebeard and this bottle of Spumante is the first.
The weather is extremely hot. The other night we were walking back at midnight and the temperature was 38 degrees C (100,4F):
My son lives in the old historic centre of a small town in Abruzzo, Italy. It's called Guardiagrele and I lived there from 1977 to 1988. This visit is full of nostalgia as I always loved living there. (Unfortunately my marriage failed and I had to leave)
Wikipedia writes:
This is the Santa Maria Maggiore church in the center of town.
It has a portico on the side where people sit in the shade.
There are frescos on the wall in the portico. I took this picture the other night:
My daughter in law (in blue top) and her friends having a drink (Second drink reference). I'm not in it as I took the photo:

The famous pastry is called 'Le sise delle monache', which translates as 'nun's tits':
So for old times' sake, we bought some.
Nowadays the name is not considered politically correct and they call it Tre Monti (Three Mountains).
The other thing I wanted to eat for old times' sake were 'arrosticini Abruzzesi'. Little pieces of meat (lamb in the old days) on a stick which are roasted on the coals.(Photo from Internet)
Last night we went to a restaurant at the bottom of the street to eat some.
On the left the old tower (Torre Orsini) which dates from the 13th century.
Our arrosticini were presented like this:
My drink was an Aperol Spritz (Photo taken before the arrosticini arrived).
On the (short) walk home I had my photo taken at the fountain:
The town is also known for its wrought iron artists, so there are examples here and there in the town, like this fountain. The pots are made by the copper smiths who work at the entrance to the old town.
That is all my friends. I'm going to link up with Elizabeth and Bluebeard for the T-Party with all my drink references.
Happy T-Day all!
Lisca
No comments:
Post a Comment