Friday, 21 August 2026

A Postcard A Day - Friday 21 August 2026 - Friday Smiles and Face Off

 Hello lovely peeps. 

Today I'm going to show you some faces for Face Off and also what made me smile this week. Of course a postcard in my mailbox is always worth a smile. 

This one was sent to me (through Postcrossing) from Edmonton in Alberta, Canada:

It shows a Cree Indian  in full regalia.

Wikipedia tells me:
The Cree are a North American Indigenous people, numbering more than 350,000 in Canada, where they form one of the country's largest First Nations macro-communities.
. In Alberta, they comprise both Plains Cree and Woodland Cree communities, living across numerous reserves and urban areas governed largely under historic treaties like Treaty 6 and Treaty 8.

Digging deeper into AI I found the following info:

Origins: Algonquian-speaking peoples who moved west into Alberta during the 17th and 18th centuries through the fur trade.

Lifestyles: Southern groups adapted to the plains as bison hunters, while northern groups lived in the forests as expert canoe-men and trappers.

Below the photo of a Cree woman.
 
Language: Cree (Nêhiyawak) remains one of the most widely spoken Indigenous languages
Women of Red River North heritage.


The stamp is one from the Far and Wide series of international stamps.

The Canada Stamp Store gives the following information:

The international rate stamp features a photograph of the Qarlinngua sea arch in Arctic Bay, Nunavut, by Canadian photographer Clare Kines.

Pronounced kar-ling-wah, the Qarlinngua sea arch is located approximately 85 kilometres southwest of the community of Arctic Bay, Nunavut, at the north end of Baffin Island.
The Inuktitut name means “like pants.”
Locals estimate that the formation is more than 50 metres high.
Wind and water erosion over many years likely contributed to the formation.


What have I been up to that made me smile? I was invited to my friend Antonia's daughter's 30th birthday. One of the daughters has a cave house a bit further along from where I live, so I could just walk there.
The view is the same as what I've got (Pretty good hey?) 
Anything festive here involves food and drink.

There was Antonia and her husband and me (with the orange top) below:

And Antonia's four daughters with husbands/partners and offspring.

The food was excellent. They had butchered and cooked a kid (small goat) and Antonia had made an amazing stew with that. 

That is all from me today. Of course, as per usual, I will post some funnies at the end.

Take care and
Keep Smiling!

Lisca
































12 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's a very interesting postcard. The Cree never ventured south to the states. We had and still have many unique indigenous tribes. It was fun to see the Cree regalia.

It looks like your friend's daughter had a festive birthday and a great deal of food and drink. The view was spectacular.

Some of your funnies were hilarious. Happy FFO and Friday Smiles.

My name is Erika. said...

I didn't realize the Cree people lived in so many areas of Canada. I wish I knew more about the Native North American populations, but they never teach those things in school-OK, I guess I could read about it myself, couldn't I? And what a great celebration. I can see why you live in a cave house with hat view. It's really lovely. And thanks for the funnies. I enjoy a laugh with several of those. Have a great FRiday and weekend ahead. hugs-Erika

Celtic house said...

How lovely to be invited to share the celebration with your friends. The view is gorgeous as always. I hope you have a lovely weekend and week ahead.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, thanks for the visit to mine. I decided to call him Yellow Belly and he appears to be settling in well but I wont speak too soon. Love the new stamp and those are great photos too. I remember having goat when we visited Portugal years ago and it was very nice though I felt a bit guilty when they told us it was baby goat. Your funnies tickled me today they were very funny and I love the drawing of the little dog too. Have a good weekend. Hugs Angela xXx

Mae Travels said...

Your outdoor dinner looks wonderful — good food and good company.
Enjoy! … mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Maria Medeiros said...

wonderful photos and lovely outdoor dinner. have a lovely Friday and a wonderful weekend!

DVArtist said...

I love your posts. You always add the information, or history to what the postcard is. Of course I'm connected to the Cree tribes here in the US. There are only about 2,500 here and they are mainly in Montana. No matter what country they are in, the Cree have a rich, vibrant culture. You live in a beautiful place. This is a very nice setting for a birthday party. Seriously, I can always pick you out in a crowd with that dazzling smile you have. Your funnies are good but I cracked up with the lost dog. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Lisca! I lived among the Cree inland from James Bay when I was a girl, so I really enjoyed your information about the Cree. I enjoyed your memes. Have a great week!

Christine said...

Good faces and thanks for the laughs

mamapez5 said...

I love the Cree Indian regalia, though it must take some practice to wear those headresses.
You meal with friends looks lovely and in such good company too. I once stood in a butchers while they cut up young kids for about ten ladies in front of me in the queue. It was Christmas Eve!You do have a lovely view, expecially as the sun goes down. Kate x

Carola Bartz said...

The birthday celebration looks wonderful with all that food and drink and good friends. The view is truly spectacular.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration and outdoors dining is the best with such a great view. We enjoy outdoor dining as much as possible in the sumemr months as long as it is not too hot outdoors. Thaks for all the information from the new postcard you received.