Hello folks,
I have a postcard that might help you cool down in this hot weather. Even if it is only an imaginary 'cool down'. Then I will also show you something to do with a drink for Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party, and tell you what I've been up to.
But first off is my postcard. It comes from Alaska:
It was sent to me by Linda who took a cruise in May with three ports of call: Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. All three are on the card in the lower right hand corner. I have visions of 'cold' when I think of Alaska. I have been to Minnesota in the summer and on a different occasion to Vancouver and surroundings. On both occasions I was cold! And that was summer! So Alaska must be super cold! Has anyone been to Alaska? What was it like? I have seen documentaries and they say it is beautiful.
The stamps are pretty:
The yellow school bus is iconic and the stars and stripes flag of the USA is to remember the 250th birthday of the US. As is the large stamp on the right with 1776 on it.
USPS writes: The Declaration of Independence Forever stamp, issued in panes of 20, features a vertical design in red, white and blue set against a deep navy background. The year “1776” runs down the center, with each number rendered in the shape of a white feather quill pen to represent the writing utensils used at the time to draft and sign the founding document. The design was created by typographer Juan Carlos Pagan under the art direction of longtime USPS designer Greg Breeding.
The US flag stamp in the middle is part of a series of 13 stamps designed by Ralph Lauren called 'American Idols'
USPS writes: American Icons, an inspiring and visually exciting pane of 13 stamps curated by Ralph Lauren himself, speaks to diverse but essential aspects of the American experience. Selected from his own unparalleled archive and from visuals that have inspired him, the images Ralph Lauren chose for the stamps embody our shared values and reflect the unique fabric of our nation: freedom, independence, equality, opportunity, and the pursuit of happiness.
Many of the stamps include the American flag shown in different settings or seen from varying perspectives: sometimes on a grand scale, sometimes as a smaller design element paired with another icon or enhancing a larger scene. The flag is perhaps the most recognizable American icon in the world, and Ralph Lauren has said that it holds special meaning for him as someone who has worked hands-on with fabrics.
In 1998, he took the lead in the fundraising needed to help the Smithsonian Institution save the original Star-Spangled Banner. The 1813 flag that inspired our national anthem required extensive preservation work before it could return to public display.

The above stamp features a knit 13-star flag, a detail from an iconic sweater introduced by Polo Ralph Lauren in 1989. The flag design itself is intarsia-knit, created using a technique that allows for smooth color transitions during production.
What have I been up to in rural southern Spain? In summer there is always lots going on in spite of the heat. All activities just moves to night time. There was a charity walk on Thursday night which my friend and I (and half the village) went on:
It was organised to support a cancer charity and here are the ladies collecting the money. It was 21:30, so it was still light. On the right are two water bottles. My 'ticket' to the T-Party.
We are waiting for the walk to start.
And below are my friend and I during the walk when it was dark:
When I got home at midnight the temperature had gone down to 31 degrees C (88F). Still quite warm though.
What else can I tell you:
I bought two bags.
I love turtles and I love my cat. So I bought both (online). They look like they are embroidered or stitched, but in fact it is a photo on plastic. So It was a bit of a scam, but I decided to keep them as I actually like them (I just paid way too much for them. Oh well....)
And here is Ronnie, looking at his image on the bag.
I've just realised there is a cork screw on the table. Another drink related object for Elizabeth and Bluebeard.
That is all from me this Tuesday. More on Friday.
Happy T-Day all!
Lisca
13 comments:
That's a shame about the bags. They do look embroidered, and are really pretty. And your walk looks like fun. I like the idea that you walk at night when its cooler. They never do that here and they should when it's hot. And no, I have never been to Alaska, but it's on my list. The funny part is that sometimes in the winter it is not as cold as New Hampshire where I live. But I think it depends where you are in Alaska because obviously up by the Arctic Circle it would be colder all the time. I hope you have a super T day. And stay cool. hugs-Erika
No. Never to a cold country, eeeek. 21C is cold enough ("we" might go up to 27, hopefully).
Nice stamps and hm. I was wondering... green for cancer? But yes to night walks (with friends for safety!).
Have a great T-Day.
Nice Ronnie!
I thought I'd explain maple butter to you. If you let butter warm up and soften you can mix things into it to flavor it. Like a little bit of maple syrup. Some herbs are good too. But it's not margarine. I won't go near that stuff. Thanks for asking Lisca.
I really like the postage stamp design of 1776 in feather quills -- very clever and attractive! Too bad about the new tote bags but they ARE attractive, even if not what you were led to believe they'd be like. I'd be tempted by them too, especially the cat one.
When I was in Alaska (on a National Geographic cruise) I don’t think it was particularly cold. But very beautiful:
maetravels.blogspot.com/2013/08/alaska.html
I thought the bags were embroidered. They are still very pretty especially the one with Ronnie's portrait. Happy T Day
I featured the school bus on an ICAD, but haven't seen the new 250th stamps. They are fabulous. Loved the postcard, too.
It's a bit sad about the bags, but they really are pretty. Yes, I saw the water bottles and that was a very good cause, too. Thanks for sharing with us for T this Tuesday with the waters and corkscrew.
Been to Alaska and the Arctic in September. It rained and was chilly in Alaska. You asked about Toronto we do get bitter winters. But the other 3 seasons are delightful.
Yes, we visited Alaska last year in August and brought the necessary gear for cold temps and never used any of it, thankfully. Walking at night seems much smarter given the daytime heat Nd hope the charity drive was successful. Too bad the bags were not as expected, but that sometimes happens with online shopping😕.
Thank you again!
Hi Lisca! That postcard is special in so many ways. Thanks for featuring the stamp artists too. Your new bags are beautiful, especially the one with the tabby. (Sorry to read they weren't exactly what you expected, but glad you still liked them.) I have a new cat cap I got, but the cat on it doesn't look anything like the 3 cats I have. Blessings!
This is a very nice tribute to the US flag. Thank you. AK is one place I think everyone should visit. I have a long family history there. I don't miss living there, the snow and cold is just too much for me now. That is so nice that all of the village comes out for the fight for cancer. Very lovely bags you bought.Ronnie looks so sweet. Have a nice day today.
Post a Comment