Hello lovely peeps,
Has it been a good week for you? Have you had many smiles? I have, especially this morning as I went to check my post box to find three postcards! Happy days!
One of them is this one:
It comes to me from Canada, from someone called Norm. There is no acknowledgement of the artist or copyright, so I have no idea who the artist is. But it is a fun illustration I think. A bit steampunky.
The stamp is interesting:
The international rate stamp features a photograph of the Qarlinngua sea arch in Arctic Bay, Nunavut, by Canadian photographer Clare Kines.
Canada Post writes:
Pronounced kar-ling-wah, the Qarlinngua sea arch is located approximately 85 kilometres southwest of the community of Arctic Bay, Nunavut, at the north end of Baffin Island.
The Inuktitut name means "like pants."
Locals estimate that the formation is more than 50 metres high.
Wind and water erosion over many years likely contributed to the formation.
It comes from a series called 'Far and Wide':
Tongait KakKasuangita SilakKijapvinga – Torngat Mountains National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador (Michael Winsor)
Tehjeh Deé (South Nahanni River), Nááts'įhch'oh National Park Reserve – Northwest Territories (Colin Field)
Sunflowers – Altona, Manitoba (Mike Grandmaison)
Galiano Island, British Columbia (James Stevenson)
Abbaye de Saint-Benoît-du-Lac, Quebec (Ladislas Kadyszewski)
Point Prim Lighthouse – Belfast, Prince Edward Island (Sander Meurs)
Thousand Islands, Ontario (Ian Coristine)
Restigouche River, New Brunswick (Guylaine Bégin)
Qarlinngua sea arch – Arctic Bay, Nunavut (Clare Kines
What a fascinating natural phenomena.
Now back to Spain, where I am sweltering in the heat.
My lemon tree is growing lemons again:
My week was good. I've had people to lunch twice but didn't take any pictures. I've gone for a drink with friends on Saturday night. Again no pictures. I've been to aquagym twice in the evening. Again no photos but I have a photo of the municipal swimming pool:
I really don't have much to show you.
Perhaps I can show you this picture which I have hanging on the wall. It features my mum with me (on the right) and my sister (on the left).
It must have been the summer of 1956 as I am not wearing glasses. It is taken behind the shopping street where the optician is, so perhaps we had gone to buy said glasses.
Rotterdam was bombed completely during WWII so in the 1950s it was slowly being rebuilt.
Here is a photo from the internet of the 'park' where our photo was taken.
And below you can see the shopping centre on the other side of the building:
The pedestrianised shopping centre is called the Lijnbaan and was quite a novelty in those days. Here is a photo of the Lijnbaan at night:
Enjoy the weekend and don't forget to drink plenty of water during this heat.
Lisca
7 comments:
Oh bless, we are having a lull in our heatwave at the moment, for which I'm most grateful in fact this more it is dull and overcast which should help us get rubbish taken to the dump and a tree cut up in the garden.
I hope you have a good weekend and week ahead.
Hugs
No smiles here but, huhhh, cool steampunk-frogs!
Can we switch places? I´d love to swealter in the heat (funny enough BBQ in the parks is forbidden cause it´s dry and "hot" (haha 26C... "hot"!)).
Oh, a pool!!!
Cute pic of you all!
Rebuilding. Oh. Braunschweig was bombed badly, too and how many ugly buildings in a hurry were given to people who were homeless.
When I look at Ukraine... The next Winter? I´m having an "Alster" right now, Cheers and will be off to the CBD soon.
Hihi on the Smoking! To winning!
Have a great Friday and maybe send some temps over. My flowers won´t bloom in this crazy weather...
Fun post card and funnies Lisca. But I did enjoy seeing the old photos. You were a cute kid, and it was great to see your mom as a young woman, I remember the photos of her you shared when you would go visit her. I hope you have a super weekend and it doesn't stay too hot too long. hugs-Erika
I love the frog postcard, my felting club have been making frogs last week. I certainly don't think crafting has gone down in the UK there are more and more craft shows than ever and the craft clubs are well supported. There aren't so many people blogging their crafts but more on Facebook. I like the blog as it's easier to store my ideas and get back to them when I need to. The craft show at Doncaster was very busy and was there for two days. The one that started a couple of years ago in Lincoln was so well supported that they had to move into a larger building so maybe it's more where you live rather than here in the UK which is a shame. I guess you were enjoying yourself too much to take photos, I understand that. Love the photo of you and your mum and the funnies too. Have a good weekend. Hugs Angela xXx
The frogs are fun and the stamps areso lovely. You always have an interesting card to show us.
I shoud think aquaerobics is a rather nice way to exercise in the hot weather, and makes good use of the municipal pool.
The sign man has some very clever puns. I don't know how he keeps coming up with new ones.
Hope you have a pleasant week. Kate x
Dear Lisca,
the steampunk frogs are great 😁! And I'm so happy about the beautiful Canadian impressions on the stamps – You know I only just recently fell in love with Canada's diverse landscapes...
It was lovely to see a childhood photo of you and your sister with your mother.
Thanks also for your funnies 😂!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-zwischen-barenpfaden.html
Vintage photos are wonderful and I wish that I had more from my childhood, but my father preferred to take movies and I have the film and projector. I have read some of your other blog posts and am curious about how you got started in postcards as these days fewer people send them when on vacation.
Post a Comment