Tuesday, 14 July 2026

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 14 July 2026 - T for cats and puppies

 Hello lovely peeps,

I hope you all had a good weekend and start to the week. 

Let me show you another postcard:
It comes from Belarus and the text in the middle reads:"Don't forget me". And bottom right says: "I am writing you."

The stamp is the following:
It's a scary looking monster scarab called Lucanus Servus also known as the European Stag beetle.
They are quite big (the males) it's very impressive.

The big horns of the males are not done to hurt, as it could be thought at first sight, but to grasp and to make rivals in love to fall from the branches. Once the field is free from other pretenders, then serve, folded to touch the branch in front of the female head, to imprison it, immobilizing it for the whole mating duration © Heinz Rothacher


I had a lovely few days. On Saturday we had a 'bring-and-share' lunch in a village an hour's drive way. I had prepared some dough to make savoury cinnamon rolls. The dough turned out beautifully:

In this hot weather the dough proves and doubles in size in no time. I rolled the dough out and spread a spice & butter mixture on it, then added grated cheese and rolled it all up. Cut it into slices and baked them. They came out perfectly but when I tried one, it was inedible! Way too salty! What with the cheese and the salted butter, I should have left the salt out but I didn't. They all ended up in the bin.
I had eventually cooked some pork chops so I didn't go empty handed.
There was lots of stuff as you can see.

This lady makes a mean trifle:
You can also see a jug of wine on the table, which could be my ticket to the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard.
And our host, a German gentleman, had made a delicious semolina pudding with blueberry sauce:
The topic of conversation was the bush fires. Where we were was quite close to the fires you might have seen on the news. The death toll is 13 as I write this.
This little town is Garrucha, a seaside resort that my daughter Tracey and I have visited two yeas ago. You can see the fire in the back ground. It's very frightening, although it is more than an hour's drive from here, we all know someone who lives there. 

It's still very hot:

On Sunday I invited the pastor of our church to lunch. He is a widower and lives alone. He is a lot younger than me and he lost his wife a few years before my husband died. So we understand each other. We chatted so much I completely forgot to take any photos.

But I did take a picture of the sunset that evening:

Ronnie the cat is scratching himself a lot, so I think he might have fleas. I don't know where he got them as the only outdoor space he's allowed to be is the patio which is completely enclosed. But some street cats walk along the top of the (6ft) wall, so perhaps some fleas have fallen on top of Ronnie as he hisses at the 'intruders'. (How dare they walk along his wall!)

I bought a pipette at the pharmacy but it wasn't the brand Spot-On which I wanted. It was a Spanish brand. But it didn't work. Today I went to the vet in town and got the proper stuff. Lets hope that is better.

While I was at the vet I met one of my neighbours who's dog was having puppies. One was breached and so he ended up at the vets. Two puppies survived:


This is mother:

Here is a photo of my cat Ronnie:
I had just given him the medicine (in his neck) so I do hope it works. I haven seen any fleas but he has little bites everywhere and then scratches them so he ends up with scabs.

So much for my adventures.

Happy T-Day,

Lisca
























11 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Those European stag beetles are scary looking, but I checked and they are endangered. I think the stamp is as interesting as the postcard.

You had a huge spread. I love pot luck meals. You should not have binned the cheese rolls. You could have cut them up and added unsalted rolls to the mix. Adding herbs, like dill or basil would have made the salty roll and unsalted roll edible and fun. The only time I throw food away is if it is moldy.

I see the drink on the table and now I am hungry and thirsty.

Yes. Ronnie has fleas. I gave fleas to my cats when I was outside last year to water my herbs. They came in on my shoes and socks. The vet sold me something similar, but it didn't work. The vet said the only way to get rid of the fleas was to use a special product to remove them from ALL the carpets in my home, do something similar on the porch, and bring the cats to the vet to be dipped. Bleubeard is no problem. Squiggles runs when I try to put him in a carrier.

Thanks for sharing your week and drink with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention those fires are really scary. I hope you are safe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Actually, the dill didn't bolt. I wanted my dill to make babies. Soon I will have more seeds and I'll have a second batch of dill this year without having to use any more of the seeds I purchased.

Iris Flavia said...

You really should put out warnings before showing such pictures! ;-) Ewww. Meeeep.
I remember my Mum got a "Maikäfer" - a cockchafer she caught in a box. I was maybe 5. I RAN!!! I can´t remember where I stopped. No warning, just a "look, what I found for you!" .. My Mum.
Thank you for the memory! I sure miss "that crazy lady"...
So sad about the buns! I once ... well, I read you.
Oh, those fires. Scary.
39C. Hm. Comfy.
Always good to have such a good time to not take pics. Even if it´s initially sad.
All the best for Ronnie! Have a great T-Day.

My name is Erika. said...

I liked reading about the stag beetles. I've seen them on shows before, and it's really amazing how big they are. And those claws too. Sorry your rolls were too salty. Well, it happens to all bakers, including my brother-in-law who is a professional baker. You should have seen how encouraging he was last summer when I made a cake that was more like a scone than a cake. :) But otherwise it sounds like a good week. I saw about the fires on the news. It's scary. I was wondering how close they were to you so I'm glad you mentioned it. And of course Ronnie is sweet, but so is that new Mom and her puppies. I hope you are having a super T day and also have a great week ahead. hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

Poor old Ronnie! Hoping the Spot-on does the trick. At least you don't have carpet to harbour the blighters, only your beautiful sofa :-(
Keren xx

CJ Kennedy said...

I never thought of making savory cinnamon rolls. All that work gone to waste. So sorry, but at least you had a back up plan for the pot luck. The fire is scary. Your sunset photo is gorgeous. Cute puppies and the Mama is very sweet looking. Poor Ronnie. I hope the medicine helps with the bites. Happy T Day

mamapez5 said...

Poor Ronnie. At least fleas are better than ticks. I hope the spot-on works for him this time.
I have been occupied all weekend following videos and reports of the fire blazing around what was my home town. It is so sad to see the damage it has caused. I know many of the folk interviewed and my heart goes out to those who have lost their families, homes and pets, as well in many cases, their livelihood. Many hectares of orange and almond trees are gone. Los Gallardos patronal fiesta should have been this week so of course it has been cancelled, which is a shame, but as one resident said, "No-one is in a festive mood right now".
I see my friend Janet Broomfield has been busy making her trifle. What a shame about your dough. Spice and cheese sounded such an intereting combination.
Take care and stay safe in the heat. Kate x

DVArtist said...

I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes to the Dr. But first I wanted to tell you how beautiful that card is and the stamp is awesome. Ohhhh too bad about the sweet rolls. Glad you had something to take. The spread looks amazing. There is nothing more scary that fire. I hope everyone is OK. The photo is lovely. Yes, fleas can pop up anywhere. The pups are cute. Ronnie is a sweetheart. Gotta go. Have a nice day.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the vintage imagery on that postcard, and loved learning about the monster scarab. I'm sorry to hear about the fire, and all the deaths in caused. Happy belated T day!

Celtic house said...

Just thought I'd check out your Tuesday post as you said you hadn't done a lot, but covered your weekend busy schedule on this post. the gathering looks lovely, what a shame the rolls didn't turn out as you wanted, salt can be really difficult to judge sometimes, I'm sure the pork chops will have been well received. Both desserts look lovely, my Mum made in my opinion the best trifle, it was something she perfected in her last couple of years. The semolina pudding looks interesting did you try it? Have a great weekend. PS Hope the treatment for Ronnie worked