Tuesday 17 October 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 17 October 2023 - T for

 Hello lovely girls, 

I'm still on my travels. When you read this I will be on my way from England to the Netherlands, but tonight (Monday) I'm staying in Cheshire, a county in the north of England (near Manchester). I'm staying with Tracey, my daughter. I have run out of postcards I had prepared before leaving, so here is a postcard from the Netherlands that I had on my laptop. 

One of the export crops from the Netherlands are flower bulbs. So fields of flowers as far as the eyes reach! They then cut off the flowers to preserve the bulbs, which gets exported.

As I said, I am in the UK. On Friday I blogged about a trip to the zoo project which shows animals in a large compound, a bit like a safari park, but instead of driving around in a car, one walks on elevated wooden walkways.
There are lots of monkeys already in the Africa part, but they are planning to transfer the gorillas in two weeks time. My friend will keep me updated.

I don't think I shared the meerkats, (always fun to watch):
We had lunch in the cafe and I had a Cornish pasty with beef. I have never had such a yummy pasty. The pastry was crispy and the beef was cooked just right without too many grizzly bits.
Today I'm joining the T-Party, hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth, so a drink is in order. Mine in this case is a large mocha (in the green cup).

After a few days at my friend's, I traveled by train from Bristol to Manchester and now I'm in a place called Congleton, south of Manchester. We celebrated the 18th birthday of my eldest grandson:
He is Tracey's son. Richard and Phil were there with their families, so it was a busy reunion. Tracey is moving to a new house, so we had some people staying in the old house and some in the new place. Everyone had brought camping chairs. We had fun. Especially the children as they had to sleep on the carpet in their sleeping bags. Luckily us adults had beds. 
We had lots of fun as you can imagine, especially as the cousins live far from each other and don't get to see each other that often.

Richard's wife Filipa made this gorgeous cake. She is very good at making cakes.

This is what it looked like on the inside:
It was very yummy.

This morning I went for a walk with Tracey:

We walked for half an hour through parkland and crossing a river.
This is a windy walkway down to the river.

So tomorrow (Tuesday) I will be catching my flight to 
Holland and my sister and her hubby will arrive soon after.

I'm going to say goodbye now and pack my suitcase.
Happy T-Day all,
Hugs,
Lisca
















10 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, that is one giant cake! But it does look really yummy. And it sounds like you've had a lovely visit with family. Are you excited to go back to the Netherlands? Or will it be strange to go and not stay with your Mom? I hope you have a lovely trip, and a happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, I love meerkats. And that beef-pastry looks yummy.
And happy family-time - with that a happy T-Day and enjoy the rest of your holiday, hugs

DVArtist said...

This is a wonderful post. You are so lucky to be with your daughter and grandkids. A very good looking family indeed.

Mae Travels said...

what an impressive birthday cake! Many happy returns to the Birthday Boy!!

It seems impossible that everyone in England would be a good candidate for the Great British Bake Off but I’m beginning to think they all really do make magnificent perfect cakes.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Carola Bartz said...

You seem to have such a lovely time in GB and I'm sure you enjoy seeing your daughter. That birthday cake looks very impressive, wow! Happy T day!

Divers and Sundry said...

We have meercats in our zoo, and you're right about how much fun they are to watch :) That cake!!! Happy T Tuesday

nwilliams6 said...

All delightful pictures - so fun to see the meercats. Your family looks super happy and so do you. All wonderful pictures and sounds like a wonderful time. You travel to some awesome places.

Love the postcard and your pastry - fun to have a drink at the zoo too.

Happy T-day and hugz to you, Lisca.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a charming postcard. I would love to see the tulips in bloom in spring like that.

Great photo of the meerkats. They are Sally's favorite animal at the zoo. So fun to watch, too.

Looks like you are having a marvelous time with your family. So good to see Tracey again. And that cake. WOW. Filipa did a fabulous job, both inside and out.

That pastry looks great. I am a fool for good pastry, no matter what's inside. Thanks for sharing this leg of your trip, the postcard, your trip to the zoo, the birthday party, the pastry, and your mocha with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.


CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful cake and lovely family. I'm craving a piece of that awesome cake! Nice mother daughter picture, too. Happy T Day

Kate Yetter said...

Oh, Lisca, I love the pictures of you at the zoo and with your daughter. You look beautiful! How wonderful that you have been surrounded by family as of late. Your grandson looks like he has the kind of cake my oldest would like. Chocolate! It sounds like a grand time during the transition of moving. Your pastie looks delicious. While I have never had one, I would love to try my hand at baking one sometime.
Have a lovely holiday!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate