Friday 6 October 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 6 October 2023 - Friday Smiles

 

Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again on a Friday, sharing our smiles and bright moments of the past week.

I've had lots of lovely moments this week and I will share a few, but first let me show you a postcard:


Such lovely smiles! It would brighten up anyone's day and it certainly brightened up my day when I received it. I had been sad because my mother passed away and these smiles helped me.

The card was posted in the UK and the stamps are really gorgeous:


The stamp on the left is from a 2004 series about The Lord Of The Rings:


What a beautiful series!
From left to right at the top you can see

Map showing Middle Earth:





Next to that, the Forest of Lothlorien in Spring




Third from left features the Dust-jacket for The Fellowship of the Ring:



Fourth from left we have Rivendell:




Top right is The Hall at Bag End (Oh I love that one!):




Then bottom left: Orthanc




Second from the left: Doors of Durin

 



Third from left: Barad-dur




Fourth from left: 
Minas Tirith




Bottom right, Fangorn Forest



The other stamp on the postcard is from 2003 and commemorates 

the 50th Anniversary of the Coronation:

Children in Plymouth working on Royal Montage

(Sorry, not very high resolution)

Now quickly, what have I been up to? I'm in the UK at the moment. 
I flew to England on Thursday 28th, here I am flying over Spain and the Mediterranean Sea:
And This is England (Much greener):

 I have stayed with my son and family in Windsor. 

On Saturday I was treated to an Afternoon Tea at a posh restaurant in Windsor (See Tuesday 3 October) On Sunday they took me to London and we visited the Tate Modern. I had never been and it was fun.


There was so much to see, we only did a few floors. One installation was entirely made of old radios:

Some rooms had famous paintings, like these by Roy Lichtenstein:

I particularly liked this 'curtain' of precious stones:

I've not been able to find out much about this. On the far right you see a pile of coal. I suppose it is all a form of carbon....

Then we went up to the tenth floor to enjoy the view over London:
The above high building is called The Shard.
On my photo it's only half visible, but here is the Wikipedia photo:


In the above photo you can see St Paul's Cathedral (With the dome).
We drove over Trafalgar Square and could just about see Nelson standing on his pillar.
I saw the famous Ritz hotel. (I took these last two out of the car window so not very good picture).

At the moment I'm in North Devon at a retreat. I will write more about that in a later blogpost.

I think 'll leave it at that. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time to share my smiles.

As per usual, I'll leave some funnies at the end.

Have a lovely weekend all,
Hugs,
Lisca



The next one is not very PC, but it made me smile (thinking about British doctor's secretaries that I have known)


































7 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Sounds like you're having a great trip Lisca. And I love those Tolkien stamps. They are so cool. Have a great weekend on your big adventure. hugs-Erika

mamapez5 said...

Lovely post today Lisca. It took me back to my trip in August when I also visited the Tate Modern to see that light exhibition, and took photos of the same view of the London skyline. I never tire of seeing it, though I would not want to be living in the city now.
I love your stamps. Lord of the Rings is one of my favourite book series and I have a set of them so I have read them several times, and seen the films.
You found some good funnies to keep us smiling too. Have a restful retreat. Kate x

Annie said...

I hope you're having a wonderful time over here. Your funnies really had me chuckling.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, your funnies today are brilliant! I love the one with the dogs, could be Alfie and Daisy's opinion for sure. The disabled one is clever but sad and the Amazon one at the moment could be our front door Lol! Oh and the stamps....well you know I would love those. Have a great time, hugs Angela xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun postcard. LOTS to smile about. I've never read Lord of the Rings, but you know I love stamps. The one of the coronation was my fav, though.

I'm putting the Tate Modern on MY bucket list. I loved the radio installation. It was fabulous. I also loved the view from the roof. Seems they are building something new every day in London.

Loved the funnies. Laughed at the Amazon one, although I can't relate. The disabled one was funny and a perfect example of Catch 22. Glad you are enjoying your time in England. Hope you keep smiling and think only good thoughts about your mother instead of how much you miss her.

Anonymous said...

I want to go to england!!! loved the tour and the funnies. Had to read them to my husband...LeeAnna

DVArtist said...

First the smiling girls made my day. So much going on today. England, how much fun is all of this. It seems that traveling there is much easier than in the US. I'm glad you hat time with your son.