Thursday 2 August 2018

Second on the second - A blogpost from 2014 - 2 August 2018

Hello peeps,

I'm travelling at the moment (i.e. we're driving all day) to meet DS, DinL and three grandchildren. We've booked a hotel near the Portughese border. I doubt whether I will have an opportunity to comment tonight, so I apologise in advance...

Elizabeth and Bluebeard from Altered Book Lover invite us to post an old blog post for the second time on the second of the month.

As to day is the 2nd of August, here is my contribution. It is a blogpost from July 2014 about St Ives, Cornwall.

St Ives means sea, sand and sunshine as it has  some of England's most beautiful beaches. It is a populare holiday spot and these days houses the famous Tate modern. But in 1954 there were no tourists, where the Tate is now, was then the gas works. The beaches were empty and I had the time of my life!

Here goes:

St Ives Scrapbook page


In 1954 I was sent away to stay with a family friend I called aunty Grace as my mother was very ill after the birth of my younger sister. Aunty Grace lived in Cornwall England in a fishing village called St Ives. She lived within walking distance of one of the most beautiful beaches in England. I stayed with her and her family a whole summer and loved it! I learnt to speak English very quickly (as small children do) and I basked in the love of aunty Grace and her family. She had always wanted a girl (and had only sons) and I was made a fuss of, showed off and pampered. Aunty Grace had a lovely voice and was always singing. I have such dear memories of that summer and it has shaped me into the person I now am. Aunty Grace has long since passed away but her family members still consider me a part of the family.

Photos: top left: Me and David Buckingham, Grace’s son. Top right:  Me and Grace Buckingham at the gate of Sylvania, Ayr Terrace, St Ives.

I haven’t been able to do any scrapbooking for a few months as my scraproom has been turned into a guest room for visitors and then we’ve been away visiting family as well.
I love doing the challenges from CSI Color, stories and inspiration, especially when they give you a sketch to work from.

I’m back for Case file 131 and this is my solution.

The colours are there. The orange is in the bird and the blue is a tiny dot on the head of the butterfly.

The evidence is found in the wet medium (ink spray), wood grain, string, animal accents (butterfly and bird), polka dots (the gesso dots) and the brads.

The testimony was inspired by a Sunday Stealing prompt: Earliest childhood summer memory.

The journaling at the bottom of the page reads: Staying for three months in St Ives with aunty Grace.

That's it from me for today.
God bless and .......... keep scrapping!
Lisca

7 comments:

  1. Lovely scrapbook from a wonderful place, St Ives is very pretty. Happy 2nd on the 2nd, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an absolutely incredible scrapbooking page. I am in total AWE. I love all the elements, the embellishments and the way you put it all together.

    I especially enjoyed the back story and loved learning about St. Ives, too. Thank you for sharing this with us for a second look on the 2nd, Lisca. And have fun with your family at you enjoy yet another trip away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post-very special and thanks for sharing this a second time as I did not see it the first time round.
    Loved the photo scrapbook page-and loved your art page very much
    Happy second on the 2nd and enjoy your next trip Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those kind of memories. This is a great post. I guess you mom recovered as you go to visit her on occasion. And hopefully the sister you are talking about is the sister you showed photos of the other day. I have never been to Cornwall but it is on my list. Hope you have a wonderful visit and little journey. Happy August 2-hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely story, Lisca.

    I hope you have a good visit with DS and family. That ties in nicely with the month of your childhood with Aunty Grace. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman. I loved seeing the pictures of you with her and her sons.

    I haven't scrapbooked in ages, but you made me want to do a page about the woman I called "my other mother."

    Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post! I love the scrapbook! Hugs,Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This layout is simply stunning! Happy very belated Second on the 2nd dear Lisca!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete