Friday, 26 June 2026

A Postcard A day - Friday 26 June 2026 - Friday Smiles

Hello lovely peeps, 
I hope you have had a good week. If not, please take a moment to find the silver lining behind those dark clouds. My week has not been good for various reasons, but I still have lots to be thankful about.

As you know, I like receiving mail and I had to smile when this card arrived:

Because it is so hot here, the sight of of snow made me smile. The card comes from the Czeck Republic and was sent by Darina, who has two daughters (a 2 yr old and a 2 month old). They also have a dog, a retriever.  They live in Prague.

The writing under the image translates (according to Mr Google):
"Fight your vices, keep peace with your fellow men and let each new year make you a better man" Benjamin Franklin.

What has made me smile this week? 
Ronnie 'helping' me empty my suitcase.

But before I got to unpacking my suitcase, I had to get home from Madrid. Me and my friend traveled by bus (about a 6 hour journey). We got to the Madrid bus station and had lunch there:
We got on the bus at 14:30. It was a very comfortable and modern double decker bus:

I was happily reading my book when we heard a loud noise. A few minutes later the bus pulled in at a motorway service station. One of the tires had a problem. So we all got off and we waited in the restaurant. I confess to have had several beers as it was very hot and we were thristy. My friend ordered some cheese as the area is famous for its Manchego cheese:

The roadside assistance crew arrived:
Took the broken tire away:

Then put another one on:

But with the nearly three hour delay, we missed our connection in Granada. The last bus had gone and my friend phoned her husband who was willing to collect us (a three hour round trip). Problem being that Granada now has emissions restrictions in place. That meant that he could not come into Granada with his (older) car. One of their children came to the rescue, picked us up and transported us to a pre-arranged place outside of town and we were homeward bound. I got home just before midnight!

Quite an adventure! 

Remember my cactus that was going to flower? (16th June)
Well They did indeed:

Of course after one day they look like this:

Everyone here is football (soccer) crazy. The World championships are being held in Canada. 

The Dutch national colour is orange, so there are a lot of Dutch supporters in Canada according to the press photos I found online.

I don't follow the games. I'm not interested but I do like to know that my country (Netherlands) is doing well. And Spain too of course as that is my adoptive country. 

I was going out with my girl friends on Saturday night when the Netherlands played Sweden. Before leaving the house I saw that the Dutch king and queen were watching the game in Canada:
The Dutch won comfortably! Hurray!
Here I am with my friends waiting for our food:

There was a tv in the corner of the restaurant, so I kept looking at the score. That is how I know the Netherlands won.

That is all from me today, apart from the funnies at the end.

Enjoy your weekend,

Keep smiling,

Lisca































10 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Sorry for the bus stop but beer and SUCH cheese?! YUM!!!
3 hour delay... And, oh....
Oh, sad about your cactus!
I remember one soccer World Champion game. My family in their shop with the staff were watching in the sales room.
I was visiting and went into the garden to pick cherries. Was my Mom annoyed! I do not care for soccer.
Yah, "which end" I often ask myself! Love the quotes!
Hope you have a great day.
Here they encourage people to not take the trains due to the heat... I LOVE the heat.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an ordeal getting home. Granada must be very rigid about their emissions. Glad one of the children was able to help. Wow two blooms on the cactus.

I had to laugh at the postcard. Even if I hadn't learned what it said, I found it funny.

Canada isn't the only place FIFA is playing. There are games in Kansas City, Los Angeles, and Mexico. Sadly our president has refused entry for some players and a respected referee from somewhere in So America. And several countries have been strip searched at the airports where they landed. Two countries decided to play in Mexico after some players were denied entry.

You had some great funnies today. I loved the ruler and the signs that included puns. Happy Friday Smiles. Mine will be later today.

mamapez5 said...

I smiled at today's postcard as I am just making a set of Christmas cards with a snowy scene on them! But it is very hot up in my loft so I won't get many done before I have to go back down.
I have just realised that I didn't actually visit any blogs last week, so I am sorry about that. I had appointments morning and afternoon last week, so I guess I just imagined that I had been round your posts!
That was a tedious journey for you after your break. I bet you were glad to be home. One of my cats always sat in my case as much as to say "You are not going again without me!"
It is hot here, around 34º in the afternoons. Not as hot as Spain but it is more humid and very draining. I am grateful to be retired so I don't have to work in it.
You have earned a nice relaxing week now, so stay cool and rest up a bit. Kate x
Mu post is HERE

My name is Erika. said...

Oh no about the bus. That sounds like a tough situation, and it was kind of your friend's child to come pick you up. I know the bus couldn't help it but it still was a major inconvenience for everyone I'm sure. And as Elizabeth said, the soccer games are also going on here in the US. Thanks to our lovely (not) president there has been some issues. Scotland played a couple of games in Boston and they showed in the news how they drank a lot of beer (so much that some places worried about going dry) and they marched with their kilts to a baseball game plating their bagpipes. That's the only team I've really heard about because they really made themselves at home and it's been fun to watch them. I hope you have a great weekend, and oh yes, that cactus flower looks amazing. hugs-Erika

Kathylorraine said...

Hi Lisca what an interesting post Glad the bus tire got fixed but sorry about missing your connection. Beautiful cactus flowers sad they only last a day.
I did answer your comment on my blog-any questions just ask hugs from the lake Kathy

DVArtist said...

Wow! That was quite an adventure getting home. Interesting that with the emissions in the town you can't even drive through there. Thank goodness for the beer. LOL. That card is really lovely. The photo of you and your friends is very beautiful. All there of you are lovely ladies. I cracked up about the first meme. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, I would have been happier if we had dark clouds it's just been too hot this week. I'm with you, love the snowy card. I think Ronnie is pleased to see you. That certainly was an interesting adventure but bet you were pleased to get back home. Cactus flowers are so pretty but never last long enough. Thanks for the funnies too. Hugs Angela xxx

an artist reflects said...

Wow! What an adventure ~ good you family got you home and Ronnie your kitty was definitely glad to see ~ funnies are lol delight ~ Great that you had some beer and cheese ~ Glad you are home safe.
Hugs ^_^

Carola Bartz said...

That was quite an adventurous journey, but at least there was a restaurant where you could spend the time and even get some beer.
As some already mentioned, the World Cup games are also played in the US and Mexico. Quite puzzling to me, why the US when the country is not really into soccer like so many other countries in the world. If I watch a game (usually just a summary) I watch it on Telemundo since I can't stand the American broadcast with way too much advertisement.

Celtic house said...

I love that you found some silver linings this week. Your trip home sounded something of an adventure and I'm glad it worked out despite the delay. Have a great week. Hugs