Tuesday 27 August 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 27 August 2024 - T for a fortress, a ballet and a beer

 Hello lovely ladies, How are you all? 

I have a nice postcard to show you with an amazing stamp:



It's a poster postcard of a place called New Brighton, which is opposite Liverpool on the other side of the river Mersey. The fort you see is Perch Rock fort.

Wikipedia writes: Fort Perch Rock is a former defence installation situated at the mouth of Liverpool Bay in New Brighton. Built in the 1820s to defend the Port of Liverpool, it is now a tourist attraction and museum.

Seen from the air it is clear that it was a real fort:

The stamp is amazing:

It looks like a scary monster. I had to Google it and found it, you guessed it, on Wikipedia:

In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the mimic is a type of fictional monster. It is portrayed as being able to change its shape to disguise its body as an inanimate object, commonly a chest. The mimic uses a powerful adhesive that holds fast to creatures that touch it, allowing the mimic to beat its victims with its powerful pseudopods. The mimic was introduced in the first edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons game's original Monster Manual. The mimic has appeared in subsequent editions. Several variants of the creature have been introduced, with a variety of abilities and sizes.

What's interesting about this stamp is that it has king Charles' head on it.  The first I've seen.


What have I been doing? I have been to Granada, to the Alhambra one evening to see a flamenco ballet.

We went by coach from our village. It was organised by the council, who paid for the coach. 
It was an open air venue in the Generalife gardens.

A beautiful view of the sunset over the city.
My friends John and Brenda came too and Brenda took this picture of John and me.


Mariana Pineda is a play by the Spanish playwright and poet Federico García Lorca. It is based on the life of Mariana de Pineda Muñoz, whose opposition to Ferdinand VII (and subsequent public execution in 1831 for treason) had become part of the folklore of Granada. The play was written between 1923 and 1925 and was first performed in June 1927 at the Teatre Goya in Barcelona. That production was directed by García Lorca, with scenic design and costumes by Salvador Dalí.


I took this picture just as it was about to start, but then they announced  that photos were not allowed. 

As I was not allowed to take any pictures,  this is a photo from the Internet.

It was absolutely amazing. The dancing was superb. Modern ballet with a flamenco twist.

I don't think I've got much news from the past week. Oh yes, we had a bit of rain on Sunday:
That's how much we got! We could count the drops! Everyone got excited when we saw the dark clouds and heard a distant thunderclap, but this is all we got.... how disappointing.

Well, today is Elizabeth and Bluebeard's T-Party so a drink is in order. 

I went to the post office this morning and it was closed as the post mistress had gone for her coffee break. I didn't really want to walk all the way home so I went to the nearest bar and had a drink as she normally is back within half an hour:
It's a non-alcoholic beer (it was only 13:00h).

That's all for now from me. 
Please leave me some love when you've visited.

Happy T-Day,
Lisca

6 comments:

Mae Travels said...

The idea of an evening in the Alhambra is fabulous. I just loved it when I visited. And a play by Garcia Lorca: divine!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I love open air theater and music. That looks like a great place to see the dance. What a fun outing. And ha ha about the rain. We had weather like that 2 summers ago and so I can relate to your story. It's really not ha ha when you need it though, is it? have a great T day and week ahead Lisca. hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of love Lisca xx Flamenco and Lorca in the Generalife gardens... WOW! That's a night to never forget.
Keren

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous! I would have loved to see the modern ballet with a Flamenco twist and the gardens look stunning at night 😊. Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

Spyder said...

What a scaaaarrrrryyyy stamp! Happy very late T day!!

Rostrose said...

Dear Lisca, your New Brighton postcard shows a fascinating view - and I have the impression that you and all of us always learn something from these postcards. And also from the stamp. I only know Dungeons & Dragons by name and had only a vague idea of ​​their characters. Now I at least know this monster. And YES, I have never seen a stamp with King Charlie on it before 😊!
Wow, the flamenco ballet evening in the Alhambra sounds wonderful - the beautiful Alhambra as a venue alone is very special (but you probably didn't see much of it at that time) and I can imagine that the ballet was also very interesting.
I felt the same way about Federico García Lorca as I did about Dungeons & Dragons - only the name meant something to me (and after all, I associated it with an early death). So I consulted Wikipedia, and García Lorca was actually murdered during the Spanish Civil War in 1936 at the age of 38. (A long story, but sad and interesting.) The German Wikipedia article also includes a photo of García Lorca and his friend Salvador Dalí from 1925. How interesting Dalí's stage design must have been from back then...
As for the rain: The few drops remind me of an evening in Namibia. We were staying in a lodge run by Germans and the woman excitedly told us that her husband had sent her a photo of the rain from a car trip in the mountains - she really hoped that the rain would come here too. You can see photos of this in my old Namibia post: https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2017/01/namibia-teil-7-hohenstein-lodge-bulls.html There you can also read an extremely adventurous story about what we experienced on the trip.
I find your story about the post mistress who had gone for her coffee break, which is why the post office was closed, very original. I imagine that this must be a very tiny post office...
Hopefully you had a pleasant T-Day!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/08/kelten-katzen-und-mehr-sommer.html