Tuesday 13 August 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 13 August 2024 - T for crayfish, beautiful stamps and a walk in Granada

 Hello lovely peeps,

Happy Tuesday! I'm going to show you a postcard from Bejing, China today:


The heading reads (according to Google translate): Bejing Guijie Crayfish. 

Guijie is a famous street in Bejing with lots of food stalls and restaurants:

"Gui Jie is famous for its Sichuan-inspired spicy dishes. Must-try specialties include hot and spicy crayfish, crabs, and bullfrogs. These dishes are cooked in the fiery Sichuan style that thrills spice enthusiasts."


The headings beside the dishes on the card are (from top to bottom):
Mixed garlic crayfish, Stir-fried crayfish, Chilled crayfish, and salted egg yolk crayfish.

The website The Bejinger writes about crayfish eating:
Look, eating xiaolongxia (crayfish) is not a delicate activity. Most restaurants that serve them will offer you a bib, plastic gloves, and a mountain of moist towelettes, which should be your first clue as to how messy you’re going to get. But we say ditch the gloves and get in there with your (hopefully freshly washed) bare hands; the shells are so sharp that they often go straight through the gloves anyway. This may not (or may, we’re not here to judge) make xiaolongxia a good choice for say, a first date.
I personally love Sichuan food. It's very spicy but I love the warm type of spicyness of Sichuan food. But I have never had crayfish.

The stamps on the card are gorgeous:
This one is entitled Huanjiang Karst.
Travel China writes: Karst is a unique landform that occurs in areas where lime stones and other soft rocks intermingles with harder stone. Over time, the soft rock dissolves leaving the remaining harder stone in unusual formations. Famed for its rich and diversified landforms, South China Karst signifies the finest examples of that topography in China and the world. It represents the unrivalled features of the tropical and subtropical terrain. Covering a total area of 176,228 hectares, South china karst is composed of seven heritage sites scattered throughout four provinces and municipalities, including Shilin (Stone Forest), Libo, Wulong, Guilin, Jinfoshan, Shibing and Huanjiang sites. The first three were inscribed in the World Natural Heritage List by UNESCO in June 2007 and the rest in June 2014.

The second stamp is this one:
I don't know if you can read it but it says: Microraptor, which is a type of dinosaur.
The bizarre, bird-like dinosaur Microraptor gui appears to have four wings: both its front and back limbs were feathered. And those rear leg feathers weren’t just decorative; they show adaptations for flight. But could this creature really fly? Probably not far under its own power. But it might have glided down from trees, perhaps even flapping its front limbs.
Here you can see the image better. Image courtesy of Peking Natural Science Organization.

The third stamp :
I translated it and it reads: Headwater Diversion Hub. It's from a series of stamps about the the Datong river diversion project.

On a stamp website called Xabusiness I read:
The Datong River Diversion Project is about 880 kilometres long, the largest artesian irrigation project in China's northwest. It diverts water from the Datong River flowing through Qinghai Province to the Qinwangchuan area 60 kilometres north of Lanzhou City of Gansu Province. Construction began in 1987 and finished in 1995. The project is a large-scale man-made "underground river", representing many firsts in world as well as in Chinese irrigation history. It is the biggest water diversion project for artesian irrigation across two drainage areas ever built since the founding of new China.

I went to Granada on Tuesday to accompany a friend to a hospital appointment. After that was done we wandered through Granada, which is always a pleasure. 

I love the tiles in the entrance to apartment buildings.
And all those impressive doors. 

When I photographed this door the (military) security guy came out and told me I couldn't go in but he asked me if I wanted to photograph the Patio:
Very nice of him indeed. (I was not allowed up the stairs). Looking at the security measures, I'd say this was a government building.

We were looking for a place to have a drink, preferably inside as outside it was so hot. We walked passed this bar: 

It is a very old bar where people drink vermouth. It is called Bodegas Castañeda. 

Dining With Frankie writes: "Bodegas Castañeda is an old school tapa bar that serves mostly Manzanilla sherry or Spanish vermouth.  

Upon arrival you immediately notice the large barrels stacked behind the bar that have taps to partake of their fortified wines.

  
We sampled from one of casks and it came served on ice.  The  long place is dominated by a matching wood bar set with stools.  

There are a couple small tables next to the windows and lots of standing room at the bar and around the room.  

The other end of the bar features a number of hanging hams."
(Photos and text from that website, apart from the first photo). 

My friends and I actually didn't go inside as it was so full. I would have liked to although I'm not keen on Vermouth.

As today is T for Tuesday I should be sharing a beverage. The gentleman at the bar above is drinking something. The barrels in the bar and the bottles in the window are another drink reference. 

As if this wasn't enough, I'll leave you with this:

Happy T-Day everyone!
Lisca


















6 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your cards and description of the crayfish remind me of the time I ate shrimp in a restaurant in China: I requested and then used a knife and fork as I’m accustomed to do. As I ate, we realized that everyone in the place was staring (we were the only non-Chinese, and were taken there by Chinese hosts). Finally our host said “I thought there was nothing that you could do with a knife and fork that you can’t do with chopsticks.” But yes, I did it.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

That microraptor is a really interesting looking dino. I don't think I've ever seen an image of one these before, but I do like how accurate the image is with the feathers. It was a long time that people never knew dinos had feathers. And Granada looks like a really interesting place. And that bar looks so fascinating. And the tile walkway in front of it is really fascinating too. Have a great T day and week ahead Lisca. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

China... we have loads of Chinese students here.. They have no idea of privacy, it´s a bit annoying.
Wow that is a beautiful entrance to that house in Granada. And the Patio! The bar is really interesting, too.
And Garfield is always right, have a happy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an interesting post card. I like the Chinese take on crayfish. I had crayfish in Louisiana and they made it spicy, too.

I was quite impressed with the image of the microraptor. Those feathers are stunning.

What fun you had taking photos in Granada. Love the tiles. And that building was unique, too. I was impressed with the bottles of liquor you captured in front of that building. Nicely done, Lisca. Thanks for sharing so many dirinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such interesting postcards and I'm loving those stamps 😊. Grenada looks like a lovely place to visit, those tiles are beautiful and it looks like you found a great bar too. Wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Such a fun travel post. The tiles are very beautiful and craftsmanship that is lacking in a lot of modern buildings. I love the Garfield cartoon. Extra cups, indeed. ☕☕☕☕Happy T Day