Friday 30 August 2024

A Postcard A Day - Friday 30 August 2024 - Friday Smiles

 Good morning lovely girls! For those of you who are working: It's nearly weekend!! So let me tell you what made me smile this week. Quite a lot actually, as life is less hectic now and I can relax a bit. 

But, let's start with my postcard:

It was sent to me by my friend Maggie. She had visited Malmesbury Abbey.
This is what it says on the back of the card:


This is what the cathedral looks like today (Photo from Wikipedia):


Wikipedia then writes: Malmesbury Abbey, at Malmesbury in Wiltshire, England, is a former Benedictine abbey dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul. It was one of the few English religious houses with a continuous history from the 7th century through to the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Wikipedia

The abbey, which owned 23,000 acres (93 km2) in the twenty parishes that constituted the Malmesbury Hundred, was closed at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 by Henry VIII and was sold, with all its lands, to William Stumpe, a rich merchant. He returned the abbey church to the town for continuing use as a parish church, and filled the abbey buildings with up to 20 looms for his cloth-weaving enterprise.

The west tower fell around 1550, demolishing the three westernmost bays of the nave. As a result of these two collapses, less than half of the original building stands today.

The inside looks like this today:


Maggie put the card in an envelope so she could use all these beautiful stamps.



Beautiful images of a young Queen Elizabeth.

What have I been doing? We had some fun in the village last week with the Auto Locos (Crazy Cars):


I had found a place on a corner behind some straw bales:


I could see them careering down the first hill.

Lots of people on the other side of the street.

There were different categories.


Down this road there were ramps that caused a lot of laughs but I couldn't see them unfortunately.


It has been a quiet week as my car is in for repair. (Someone drove into my car while it was parked and it sustained quite a lot of damage). I'm not expecting it back until next week. I was offered a substitute car as I was insured for that, but I would have had to go and collect it in Almería, which is a long way away (165 km) and not easy to get to by public transport. So I will stay put in the village.

I have had time to have video calls with friends and family. My son celebrated his 48th birthday. He lives in Italy so I couldn't be there, but we chatted (Thank the Lord for modern technology) and I got some photos:

That is all from me today. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time and of course I will add some funnies at the end, but in the meantime, 
I wish you all a lovely weekend,

Lisca






















5 comments:

mamapez5 said...

Sorry to hear about your car. Somone did the same to us when we were parked outsidethe medical centre because I had cracked my head open, last year. That was the last thing we wantedto deal with, but the garage did a good job with the repairs, so I hope they do yours well too.
We had Loco autocares (Whacky Races) in Villaricos the year we came here nad we went to see them. It was fun. Happy Birthday to your son. Ay least you saw him recently and as you say, modeern technology is a life-saver at such times.
I could relate to the sleep meme though last night I had the best sleep I have managed for months.
I hope you don't have to wait to long for your car. Kate x

Annie said...

Oh bless you...I'm so sorry to hear about your car but thankfully you weren't hurt. I love watching Whacky car racing on the telly. Love your funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Quite a church! And oh, the Queen so beautiful - and funny, as well as her husband!!

Fun vehicles.
Oh, hello, yes. A woman bumped in my parked car with hers so badly it needed a new door and more.
165 km is a bad joke! Here it was 4 km.

Excuse me, but your son is quite a great looking guy! Love the shirt, too. And the teddy baer, awww.
And yes, so THANKS for the technology we have these days!

Hahaha. Yes, back to school like that!
I was like Katie,but I learned!
Sad aisle... and butchers in th e background, that is spooky.
The "I´m fine" is true....
As "Emperor" what can I tell the caterpillar?

Have a great weekend (you, and the caterpillar)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, we're back. Hope you get your car back soon too. I had to smile when you said how far it is to Almeria. I'm not sure where you are but years ago we stayed at Benalmadena and on the map Almeria didn't look too far when we set off but I can tell you it's a long drive but we enjoyed it. Loving the funnies too. Take care and have a good weekend. Hugs Angela x

LA Paylor said...

Lisca, raccoons here look about double the size of cats, pretty heavy. they moved slowly, purposely. When they heard Milo bark, they didn't run even, just sauntered off together.
It was startling to see them just outside the door.
These three have been together and around the hood for years also.
thanks for the festival and for funnies
Leeanna