Tuesday 29 August 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 29 August 2023 - T for BBQ and travel plans

 Hello lovely peeps,

I have scheduled this post because on Tuesday I will be traveling all day from early in the morning until late at night. My mum is not feeling very well and it's getting her down. I'm going to cheer her up (and keep an eye on her after all she is 99).

My postcard this morning comes from Czechia (as it is now called):


It was sent by Jaroslav, who lives in this delightful town of Chomutov.
Chomutov is located about 78 kilometres (48 mi) northwest of Prague.
It has about 47,000 inhabitants. 




Apparently they have a fantastic indoor swimming pool with a 25 m pool for competition and exercise , a separate children's pool and a large fun part with long slides and taboggans. Kids will love it! I remember the Center Park villages (in the UK) had those. 




Info on the back of the card says this:
CHOMUTOV The first written mention of the town dates from 1252, when it was donated to the order of the Teutonic Knights. In 1411, the order was King Wenceslas IV. property expropriated, in 1421 Chomutov was captured and burned by the Hussites. Already in 1424, however, he was a pledge of Mikuláš of Lobkovice. The next owner was Jakoubek from Vřesovišť, again the Lobkovics, and until 1560 the lords from Veitmile. It was then acquired by Archduke Ferdinand of Tyrol, in 1571 the estate was sold again to Lobkovic, and in 1605 Chomutov was a free royal town. 

The stamp is beautiful:
It features four buntings: Emberiza Calandra (corn bunting),



 Emberiza Citrinella (yellowhammer), 



Emberiza Hortulana (Ortolan bunting), 



Emberiza Schoeniclus (Common reed bunting). 
They are gorgeous!

OK what have I been up to? On Tuesday I went to buy my new stove/heater or whatever you call it. I knew that what I wanted was a pellet burner, that can be programmed electronically and I went to a local family business because they could install it for me and can do the yearly services. The price was right so I bought it and two days later they installed it. (See Friday blog post)

I'm very pleased. Let the winter come! It's still very hot but today the temperatures a slightly lower and we had a storm the other night. That always shifts the weather a bit. We had a few drops of rain too, but literally a few drops. Not enough!

On Saturday we had a meeting of our English speaking fellowship group.

The guy who's turn it was to host, has a swimming pool so we had a BBQ there.
As you can see we were having a laugh!

It was a 'bring-and-share' occasion and people brought meat or a salad or a dessert. It always works out.


Lots of meat and salad (and a few rolls of bread too).
Lots of drinks visible so that  is my ticket to the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard.

This was one of the desserts (cheesecake).
And two more. The left one is a trifle and the one on the right a sort of strawberry blemanche (don't know how to spell that, sorry).

Janet, the lady sitting next to me is the queen of the desserts. She made the last two.

Last but not least, I have been to the hairdresser and I've got little 'highlights' of colour put in. It's very subtle, so not very spectacular, but I quite like it.


That is it from me, ladies. Bear a thought for me (or a prayer if you are that way inclined) as I spend time with my mum. At her age of 99, every moment spent together is precious.

I'll try and visit on Wednesday, depending on my mum's condition. 

Happy T-Day all,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca












9 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

Loved the postcard and the pretty stamp. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your Group. Gatherings of friends can be energizing. The food looks delicious! I hope that you have a wonderful time with your mum!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

That stamp is gorgeous. And they are wonderful birds too. We don't have those here in the US so I am glad you shared the photos. And hopefully your Mom will improve quickly, and you will be able to spend some quality with her. Getting to 99 is amazing. Have a wonderful journey. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

My thoughts are with you and your mom as you go to her home. Have a great visit.

Iris Flavia said...

All the best to your Mum...
Chomutov looks beautiful.
Nice all worked with your new stove, but please... no winter yet! 14C is bad enough here.
Looks like a fun-yum event you had!
Hugs, yes, every moment is precious, I hope there are still many...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a charming postcard, Lisca. And that stamp is out of this world. These birds are not found in the states, so I was glad you showed each individually.

Your fellowship group looks like they are having a great time and there were laughs all around. LOTS of drinks, too.

I hope you have a great time with your mother. Those moments are so important, especially at her age.

Thanks for sharing your postcard and stamp, the fun meal your fellowship group had, all those drinks, and your anticipated trip to visit your mother with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

Valerie-Jael said...

First of all I'm sending hugs and prayers to your mum, glad you are going to stay with her! Lovely stamp on your postcard!. And it's blancmange for that lovely strawberry dish. It's old French for white dish or white food! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Sorry to hear that your mum is not feeling well. Hope she makes a turn around soon. This is a lovely post. Your fiends look like a fun group. So much food, laughter, and a pool. Have a great day today.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm sorry your mum isn't feeling well and hope your visit cheers her up. I know y'all will have a great visit together.

Your group looks like fun. What a spread! Happy T Tuesday

CJ Kennedy said...

I hope your mum is feeling better now that you are with her. The bird stamp is so charming. I love watching the birds at my feeder. Looks like your group had a wonderful time and delicious food, too. Happy T Day