Tuesday 22 August 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 22 August 2023 - T for alley and lunch in Granada

 Hello lovely peeps,

A short one today as I need to go out in a little while. (You will probably read about it in one of my posts next week).

My postcard today comes from New Orleans:

It is Pirate's Alley. 

In reality, its official name was Orleans Alley, until the mid 1960's when the city changed it to Pirate Alley. This was to reflect its name of common usage, and to make it easier for tourists to find.
The alley is one block long, and extends from Chartres St. at Jackson Square to Royal St. Halfway down the alley, a lamppost marks its intersection by Cabildo Alley, which extends (the width of the Cabildo, the Old Spanish Governor's Mansion) to St. Peter St.


This is the part of the alley near Royal Street. To the right is St. Anthony's Garden a wonderful garden in the middle of the city. In the old day of the the city it is where duels were fought or business deals were made. To the left are some old homes including one that William Faulkner lived in while writing "Soldiers Pay" in 1925. It is the yellow one and is now a Faulkner bookstore. The lamp post has a special significance besides being really old. It marks a spot where within a 18 foot radius there is a church, state building and a bar - only in Louisiana!


 The stamp is an orange (gerbera) Forever stamp. Quite common, but I like it because it is orange (Dutch national colour):

I wondered if this street is still there as  hurricane Katrin has devastated large part of the city in 2005. I looked it up, and because the French Quarter is above sea level, it has not been damaged.

What have I been up to? Nothing much. I don't seem to have have any photos from this week.

I bought new covers for my red and tired office chair, and I am very pleased with the result.
It was a very cheap Internet buy but the result is great I think.

 The other thing I can show you is a photo of me (pulling a face for some reason) when Kim, Andy and I went to Granada for a medical appointment. Afterwards we went to have lunch, but nowhere was serving food as it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner. So we had a drink with tapas in a dubious 'joint':
We had a giggle as the lady in red at the end of the bar, who was heavily made up, seemed to us a 'lady of the night' who was having breakfast at the start of her shift. She might not have been, bless her, but we had had a nervous time at the hospital and we were now relaxing and laughing at anything.

But at least the previous photo has a drink in it (My glass of white wine) and that is what is required to join in with the T-Party hosted by Elisabeth and Bleubeard.

It continues to be very hot out here. It seems that in a lot of places it's very hot. There have been bush fires in many places. Very scary.
I'll leave you with this:

That is all from me. Short and sweet as they say.

Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca









11 comments:

nwilliams6 said...

Oh my gosh, I will have that last picture in my mind for weeks. Super funny and sadly kind of true... Love the new chair. Super postcard - always fun for me when you have one that is a place I have been. Take care this week. Wishing you good health! Happy T-day and hugz

Mae Travels said...

My desk chair is now covered in the same way as yours. Underneath, there are a few holes in the old cover, but I loved the comfort of the chair and was delighted to find a way to keep it. I hope you enjoy yours!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's a great postcard. Yes, the French Quarter was one of the few places in NO that escaped the floods of 2005. I hope their new levy system works if we ever get another similar Katrina.

Amazing what a new cover can do to spruce things up. That's a pretty color and goes well with your IKEA cart (I would LOVE one of those).

What a face you made. Had to laugh, but enjoyed seeing you had a glass of wine in your hand. I saw your tapas had been devoured!!

Loved the sign. Sad, but true, too. Thanks for sharing your postcard, your new chair covers, and your wine and tapas with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Iris Flavia said...

Nice postcard and such a great pic of you two!!
Guess!!! 26C! Off to the balcony!
Happy T-Day, hugs

Divers and Sundry said...

Sweet photos of y'all. I'm glad you had a good time relaxing after the stressful time at the hospital. Happy T Tuesday

Valerie-Jael said...

Laughter chases many sad/bad/ depressing thoughts away. And if that dubious lady was a lady of the night or the day, I hope she enjoyed her breakfast! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I am loving the new chair cover. That's a great color. And it's good you had something to laugh about after a stressful hospital visit. There used to be a section in a local newspaper called Laughter is the Best Medicine, and it is really true, isn't it? I wonder what that lady was really up to(besides her breakfast). That is quite the red outfit. I hope it was an excellent T day Lisca. hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisca, it’s too hot to think straight at the moment or do much either.
At least you can always get Tapas, we find that in a strange place we always end up going into a bar where I’m the only woman and they all stare when we walk in !
Have a good week. Jan X

DVArtist said...

Hi Lisca, hope everything was OK at the doctor appt. Do eateries close between lunch and dinner there? A very nice post card and I do like that stamp. Wow your chair looks like new. Have a great day today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

New Orleans looks fabulous. I love those US flower stamps. The 'dubious bar' gave you something to laugh at. I hope you get some cooler weather soon. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Amila said...

Beautiful photos of happy moments. I like the postcard and the stamps. Glad to see all happy faces in these photos. Happy T day!