Friday 18 August 2023

A Postcard a Day - Friday 18 August 2023 - Friday Smiles


 Hello lovely ladies, Here we are again on Friday for a resumé of the week and all its smiles and silver linings.

I have a fun postcard to show you. It arrived this week:


It is entitled: "Die Goldenen Zwanziger: Bitte nicht überholen". (Translated The Golden Twenties: Please don't overtake)
I really love this photo. It is hard to imagine that this photo was taken 100 years ago! Look at the fashion! Don't you just love those hats?

The stamps are lovely:
The stamp on the left features Loreley. The Lorelei is a 132-metre-high, steep slate rock on the right bank of the River Rhine in the Rhine Gorge at Sankt Goarshausen in Germany, part of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley UNESCO World Heritage Site.


It has been an infamous maritime disaster site since its first records during the 10th century, with a varied mythos, ranging from dwarfs to a siren trying to explain the high number of ship wrecks and the loud echo inside the passage.


Lorelei, siren of Germanic mythology, of great beauty and delicious song, who was placed on a rock on the Rhine and with her song seduced the navigators. Sculpture that stands on the banks of the river in the Rhineland.

How was your week? Mine was good. On Friday my friend and neighbor Susanne came for a drink. I was sitting on my patio and had the 'party lights ' on. Of course she can see that from her house, so she came over when she heard I was having a G&T. (See my Tuesday blog).

On Saturday I had a lazy day and did a lot of reading. I finished The Golden Oldies Bookclub by Judy Leigh but found it a bit boring. Delightful but boring as nothing much happens. I went out for a drink with friends early evening and then I watched tv. I've started to watch Wolf. But I'm finding it quite horrific. I have just started episode three. after the Figaro scene, where the villain seems to be about to disembowel this poor woman. I'm not sure I want to continue watching it. Anyone else watched it?

On Sunday I was invited by my friend Dian to lunch. She had cooked a delicious meal (See photo on my Tuesday blog).
And in the afternoon my lodger's girlfriend came to visit me. She is also Dutch so we could have a good natter in my mother tongue.
She is learning to bake and she was very proud of the blueberry crumble she made. Very nice it was too.

At 9:30 I went to the Feria fiesta in the village. I'm not a party animal so I had never been, but my friends insisted they take me round. Again photos on my previous blog post.

I was really pleased to see some of my bulbs are actually flowering.
(Most haven't survived the heat):




On Monday I discovered one of my chickens has died. It must have been suffering from something as it had lost a lot of feathers and it was one of the chickens I was keeping separate. Then there were three....

Tuesday was a national holiday, so everything was closed and most people off work. It is a catholic religious holiday. My friends Kim and Andy came for lunch and I had cooked a Thai red curry with chicken. Very nice. (Forgot to take a picture).
In the late afternoon my lodger's girlfriend came to see me again as we had arranged to play games.
We played Rummicub. When we got tired of that I found a travel version of Sequence:
So we played that too.

On Wednesday I drove Kim and Andy to Granada for a scan. His appointment was at 3 pm but he didn't have his scan until 4, then we were told it would take an hour and 20 minutes, so Kim and I went for a drink. When Andy was done we went to find something to eat. Not easy at 5.30 in the afternoon as in Spain the kitchen in a restaurant or bar doesn't open until 8 pm. 


We did find a bar that served tapas, as we were all hungry. Andy above all as he had been nil-by-mouth from 9 that morning. It was nice I could have a drink as Andy was driving back.

Thursday I did some card making but they are for upcoming birthdays, so I won't show them until both birthday girls have received their cards.

That's it from me today. Of course there will be some funnies at the end.

Please join me at Annie's at A Stitch In Time with you smiles.

Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca




Very clever!

Poor Polly!



















 

6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That's a unique postcard. I like the stamps, too. However, I am NOT a fan of hats, so those don't appeal to me. I read somewhere that women didn't leave the house without wearing a hat back then. Sort of like when nurses had to wear those caps on their heads.

You had a good week. Glad you and the renter's girlfriend are getting along so well. I wonder if she is lonely while he's at work. She is beautiful.

Nice of you to drive your friends to his appointment. Had to laugh that he was driving back, though.

Loved some of the funnies, but you showed the song titles last week and I am STILL no closer to recognizing what the rest are. Also, maybe you or someone can explain the trooper who stopped the truck with no sailboat fuel. I definitely didn't get it. Have a super Friday, dear Lisca and a good weekend, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention I am still laughing over the polygon.

Iris Flavia said...

Uh.... such carousels still visit here and Ingo "forced" me into it. Tough times. Oh, but I really do love the hats and the fun these ladies had!
You´ve sure been very busy again :-)
Wolf I have not heard of here.
Restaurants open at 8p.m.?! Yikes. Way too late for my liking.
The taser, LOL. And, yes, poor Polly...
To Smiles, have a happy Friday.

Annie said...

What a lovely post Lisca. It's good to hear you have good friends that are keeping you busy. Love the funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, sorry I'm late this week just got distracted. As usual I am in love with those stamps and the post card is really interesting. It must be great to have someone to chat to in the same language, bet that doesn't happen too often. Interesting collection of funnies too. Before I forget you asked about the care home my mum is in, it's still some way as she is partly funded by the council where she lived but it's about the same distance so it's okay about an hour each way....providing there aren't any holdups of course. Hope your weekend is happy and the new week too. Hugs, Angela xXx

Rostrose said...

Dear Lisca, the postcard photo is really lovely. My grandmothers were born in 1903 and 1905 and wore such dresses as young women!
I'm glad you're having a week in good company - but I'm sorry your chicken died.
Have a good new week
Traude
🌻🌺❤️🌺🌻
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/08/drei-einer-tag-viva-frida-kahlo.html