Tuesday 31 October 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 31 October 2023 - T for no halloween

 Hello lovely ladies,

I'm still in the Netherlands, and very busy getting the apartment ready for the 'handover' tomorrow and packing my cases, hoping my suitcase is not overweight.

I have no postcards other than the postcards I found in my dad's album. So here is one:

It pictures a windmill called De Rooie Wip (Meaning: the red seesaw). This is the information I found:

De Rooie Wip is a seesaw mill on the Gemeneweg in Hazerswoude-Dorp in the Dutch municipality of Alphen aan den Rijn. The mill was built for the drainage of the Gemenewegsepolder, where it replaced a smaller mill from 1567 at a different location. The mill, which was built based on the example of the Groenendijkse Molen, was completed on June 2, 1639. In 1708, the upper house of the mill was blown away, after which it was immediately restored. De Rooie Wip was in operation until 1957, then as a reserve pumping station until 1960, after which it was sold to a private individual. At the same time, the Lodewijksvaart was dammed, so that the mill can no longer pump. In 1990, a circuit was constructed so that the mill can rotate. The paddle wheel with which the mill spins the water has a wooden casing.

De Rooie Wip is owned by the De Rooie Wip Mill Foundation and has national monument status. The mill can be visited on Saturdays when the mill is operating.

It has the stamp stuck on the front and so making it a 'Maxi card'. These are very collectable.

The mill on the stamp is the same as on the card.

The date stamp is dated 1963 so I tried to find some recent photographs.

The bottom part is where the miller lived with his family. Here is a photo of the interior:
The 'cupboard' in the red wall is in fact a box bed:

It's unimaginable that the miller slept there with his wife and 7 children! An old song springs to mind: 'There were nine in the bed and the little one said: roll over, roll over. And they all rolled over and one fell out, there were eight in the bed' etc.
Here you can see the staircase to the top part.



I managed to escape one day from my busy-ness and went to the center of Rotterdam to visit a museum (next Tuesday I will write a post about that).
There are many museums in Rotterdam. The most famous is Museum Boymans-van Beuningen. It has a huge art gallery next door and a brand new art depot.
The art depot is like a mirror reflecting the Rotterdam skyline. I took this picture but I didn't have time to visit it. (Next time). I found the following info:
Depot Boymans Van Beuningen was opened on 5 November 2021 by King Willem-Alexander. The world’s first publicly accessible art storage facility, designed by the architectural firm MVRDV, is situated next to Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen in Rotterdam’s Museumpark. It is the first building in the world that makes a museum’s entire collection public while also providing behind-the-scenes glimpses of how a museum works. In addition, it provides space to store private and corporate collections. The depot is a gesamtkunstwerk and a new design icon for Rotterdam.


I had lunch in a 'grand café':


This building used to be the main Rotterdam police station.
I sat indoors as it was not warm enough to sit outside.
That was the entrance. 
Then I walked it and sat down at a table facing the bar:
I read on the place-mat the story of this café:
Heilige Boontjes is a coffee bar and restaurant housed in an old police building in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. It solely employs ex-inmates, that roast and sell coffee, cook food and serve it. The purpose of the company is to help their employees to fully reintegrate into society. Besides, they aim to improve the living conditions of coffee farmers by paying them a fair price. The company was started by police officer Marco van Dunnen and social worker Rodney van den Hengel. 
Here is more info and an interview in English with one of the founders

And I ordered a goats cheese, walnut and honey sandwich:
Very yummy indeed. And I had a cappuccino with it. This will be my ticket to the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard at Altered Book Lover. 

One last picture of the café and then I'm off:

I've just remembered that it is Halloween in the USA, so I wish everyone a happy halloween.

Hugs,
Lisca











9 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your post cards and photos from your father's windmill collection are really neat, and I liked your two posts that showed them. We visited an old windmill during our trip to the Netherlands last winter, and saw the living quarters from when it was inhabited. I can see why he would have been fascinated with them.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I can't imagine so many people living in that little space. I suppose the miller and his wife had the bed, but where did all the children sleep? Maybe I'm wrong. And that museum looks amazing, and I love the reflection it gives. And your lunch looks amazing. What a great combination. I love honey and goat cheese, even though I've never tried them together. Now I have something new to try. Have a super T day Lisca and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Very impressive wind mill!
And cute. Love the heart in the door.
Wow. 9 people in there?!
The song reminds me of the now forbitten book I still have, 10 kleine Negerlein.
I put up a post on this. I wanted before, you gave me a reason...
Looking forward to your museum-visit.
"Heilige" what? Now this sure is a German word.
Interesting ceiling and what a great story behind it! And yummy.
Hugs and thank you, I enjoyed this post and it made me think...



Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a charming postcard. Nice that the stamp matches the card. I know you will keep this and the others your dad collected. That is a small bed for all those children and adults.

Lovely painting on that museum wall. What a unique cafe. Nice that these people have a way to be rehabilitated. Your goats cheese, walnut, and honey sandwich looks delicious and thanks for sharing your cappuccino and postcard with us for T this Tuesday, too, dear Lisca.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's been ages since I heard that 9 in the bed chant. Fun! The food looks good. I'd love to go there and sit outside one time and inside the next :) Happy T Tuesday

CJ Kennedy said...

That was so interesting about the mill. I can't imagine the miller and his family fitting inside the small mill. Looking forward to you museum post. Your sandwich sounds so yummy and what a wonderful way to get people who have wandered off the path back into society. Everyone wins. Happy T Day and Happy Halloween. 🐈‍⬛🎃👻💀🦇

Kate Yetter said...

Such an interesting place to have a meal. I like that it has a history. Your sandwich looks SO good!
Hope everything goes well with getting the apartment ready.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Darla said...

What a great postcard of the windmill. The matching stamp makes it quite collectable I would think. It sounds like you have been very busy,

Violetta said...

Nice windmills and nice postcards.goats cheese, walnut and honey sandwich sound a bit strange to me...but I would like the coffee :-)
All the best and have a good time
Violetta