Friday 20 October 2023

A Postcard A Day - Friday 20 October 2023 - Friday Smiles

 

Hello lovely ladies,
It's Friday. People who work will be rejoicing that the weekend is nearly there. I'm retired, so every day is weekend for me.

I'm in the Netherlands again, in Rotterdam, in my late mother's apartment. My sister has come too and together we are getting quotes from house clearing companies. They are quoting us 'silly money' and blaming it on the council who charge so much money at the tip. They have to pay per kilo. My mum has beautiful solid oak furniture so it weighs a ton. A real shame that nobody wants that sort of furniture any more. 

Anyway, let me show you a postcard:

It's a postcard from the Netherlands that I bought when I was here last time. It shows a typical Dutch cheese shop. It has the traditional large flat cheeses and also the smaller round ones like the Gouda cheese. Most people will shop using a bicycle, so there is always a bike parked outside a shop.

The passed weekend I spent with my daughter Tracey and we celebrated my eldest grandson's 18th birthday (See photos on my Tuesday blog). 

Then on Monday Tracey and I went out for lunch and I forgot to take a picture. But we did have cake for afters. Again I forgot to take a picture. Then I read what it said on my cake plate and I laughed. This I had to photograph for the Friday Smiles:

The writing says: No good story started with a salad.

On Tuesday I flew from Manchester airport to Amsterdam airport, where I got on the train to Rotterdam. Although it was only 4 pm, the train was chockerblock and I had to stand the whole way. Then in Rotterdam, I had to change trains and stand some more. The weather was nice(ish) and I walked the 15 min from the station to the apartment.

My cousin and his wife have just come back from a caravqn holiday in Croatia and they have stopped on a nearby camp-site and are helping me. Every hole in the wall needs to be filled in. My cousin is doing a splendid job:

On Wednesday night we got a Chinese takeaway:


On Thursday morning I went shopping at a nearby mall. It's a 20 min walk, but I needed the fresh air and I needed a bra. There are dedicated lingerie shops. I was attended to by a lovely experienced lady who brought me one bra after the other for me to try. Eventually I found one I liked (and that fitted well). She wrapped it up for me and it wasn't until I got home and unwrapped it, that I realized what is printed on the wrapping paper:
It certainly made me giggle! I hope it made you smile too, as this is Friday Smiles where we share the smiles of this week, or the silver linings. I'm going to link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time. Will I see you there?

Have a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca















































8 comments:

mamapez5 said...

You have been doing a fair bit of travelling around just lately, and now you are back in Netherlands. It is not easy clearing the home of a loved one, but of course it needs to be done. I hope you manage to get it ready to sell.
I would struggleto stand for a long train journey. That must have been hard and very tiring for you.
I am enjoying the late summer sunshine here. This is the time of year I enjoy, but last night the wind was so strong it was frightening. Just off out to see what havoc it wrought. Kate x

Anonymous said...

Love the zimmer-frame bulb planting idea! Sadly I have occasionally laughed so hard the tears ran down my leg ... 🤭
Thanks for the funnies Lisca - and love the lingerie bag! Good you've had family helping at your Mum's - could anyone use that lovely oak furniture for a log stove rather than the tip? Such a shame either way 😒. Hugs, Keren

My name is Erika. said...

You have some fit photos today Lisca. Well not the wall being fixed, but the tissue paper around the bra you bought and also that plate that had cake on it. Now if only cake was as healthy as salad to eat-smile. hugs-Erika

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Lisca, we had to pop out this morning but back now.I feel for you trying to clear your mum's house. We were lucky that we found some charities that were more than pleased to take most things when we cleared my mothers house and they do it for free so we were only left with a few things which we took to the tip ourselves. It made me smile really that at one of the charities in the village they were waiting for Des to arrive with some stuff as they had been looking for something that shop hadn't got until we arrived. We had some old teddy bears too that some children from the local school bought too. It's good to know that someone will enjoy them. Pleased you've got some company for a while. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend. I really hope you get your mums place sorted soon. I will be thinking of you. Your funnies got us both chuckling today.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anonymous said...

wish I was there, In Rotterdam... the funnies were SO funny. Keep that paper Lisca... you can use it in crafts, or I would! Hilarious!
bra shopping is exhausting, good for you having success
LeeAnna

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That is a beautiful postcard. Stunning. I would eat a whole cheese round by myself. Cheese (and coffee) are my weakness.

So sorry no one wants that beautiful furniture. Did you try selling it in the local newspaper?

I loved the tissue they used to wrap the bra. I would find a way to use it. I loved some of the funnies, too. The worst nest ever is hilarious. Hope you have a great day and wonderful weekend. I hope you are able to deal with your mom's home.


Iris Flavia said...

I had to grin about the plate´s phrase, too.
Because... I might find it in a salad-bowl saying, "no good story started with a cake" :-)
LOL on the wrapping paper!

That chicken!!! Thanks for the smiles, have a nice Saturday and weekend, hugs