Tuesday 24 October 2023

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 24 October 2023 - T for Rotterdam, scones and christmas decorations

 Hello lovely peeps,

I'm in the netherlands at the moment, clearing my mum's apartment. My sister and her husband are here too and we have really done a lot. We got some quotes for taking away the furniture and the first quote (by a charity) was 2000 Euros! They said that the local tip charged by the kilo and all of mum's furniture is heavy oak. It was not fashionable and they reckoned it could not be sold. 

Fortunately we have been able to get in touch with the next tenants, a Brazilian lady and her partner. She was living with her sone and did not have any furniture! So she was happy for us to leave it rather than have it destroyed. (It's really beautiful furniture). So we are soooo relieved. 

Let's start with a postcard as per usual:

Here you can see the football (soccwer) stadium of  our local team Feyenoord. They were champion last season and are a very popular team.

Last Tuesday I left you still in the UK. My daughter Tracey took me to the airport and on the way we stopped at a nice garden center for coffee. The Christmas decorations were already out!
I know it's still October but in the UK they start early. The garden centers compete against each other with their beautiful displays.
I really love silver coloured decoration (rather than the red and green or very colourful decorations). 
These sort of things:

I have always had silver/white Christmas decorations and tree decorations.

Of course there were many other things to see apart from the Christmas stuff:
When I saw this I had to think of my friend Keren who ikes bees (and wears bee dungarees) and of course Erika. 
I love all these bowls:
Do you see all those egg cups on the right? I was too busy drooling over the beautiful bowls that I hadn't spotted the egg cups!

Then we went to the coffee shop:
We had coffee and scones:
They were huge, delicious scones!
As this is the T-Party, this can be my ticket to the T-Party hosted by Elizabeth and Bleubeard. Do check it out.

Towards the end of the cafe there were some really interesting picures on the wall. I'm shpwing you this one as I think Iris would like this:
I'm sure this is one of Henry's distant cousins. And what a fine specimen he is!
That is all from e tnight (It's Monday night).


Wishing you all a very good week and happy T-Day!
Hugs,
Lisca




















14 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

I'm not ready for Christmas decorations - it's not even Halloween yet. I usually don't decorate for Christmas - I used to do that when our daughter was still here, but not anymore. We do out lights on the outside of our home though and everybody in the neighborhood loves it. They usually go up the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Your coffee and scones look very delicious. Happy T day!

Mae Travels said...

We have both Halloween and Thanksgiving to celebrate and decorate before thinking of December holidays. There's always a little Christmas creep, though -- an occasional Santa among the Ghost Masks. However, in my neighborhood it's all Halloween decor (and I'm posting photos ).
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Kate Yetter said...

That lion is gorgeous! It reminds me of the Lion of Judah paintings that are popular at the moment.
That is a huge scone and looks delicious! I could go for one right now.
So glad that you were able to find a home for your Mum's furniture. It is always nice to see something enjoyed instead of having to trash it, especially when it belonged to family.
I agree with you, I am not into the red and green Christmas.
Happy Tea Day, Lisca.
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

That's great news that the new tenants want the furniture. Not only does it save you money, but it will get a little more love rather than the alternative. And Christmas things are coming out here also, but we don't have these big garden centers like they do in the UK. It's too early. I get that people don't want to get everything at the last minute, but it's hardly last minute. And I spotted those bee items before I even read what you wrote. And those bowls are definitely gorgeous. I hope you get everything cleaned up and enjoy the rest of your time in the Netherlands. And happy T day too. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Good news with the funiture!
2012 I took off every Thursday to help Bro clearing our family´s home. When I could not any longer he stopped, too :-(
It´s rotting away now...
Oh, boy. Christmas is ealier every year... Love the egg cups! Found two very beautiful ones in the street the other year.
Thank you for the Henry :-)
Happy T-day and hugs from us both!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What fantastic news about the furniture. The best possible outcome for everyone.

That's a nice postcard, even if I'm not into soccer. I'm with Mae. We have both Halloween and Thanksgiving to decorate for before we get to Christmas. I haven't been anywhere much, so have no idea what's being shown right now.

Tracey looks happy and I think that scone she ordered is HUGE. It must have gone good with her coffee, too.

Thanks for sharing your time in Rotterdam with us for T this Tuesday, dear Lisca.

Jennybee said...

Alan and I were in that very cafe on Friday ! Love x

Amila said...

What a journey you're on, clearing your mum's apartment in the Netherlands! It's heartening that the beautiful oak furniture found a new home with the Brazilian lady. That's such a wonderful way to ensure the pieces continue to be appreciated. Wishing you strength and positivity as you navigate through this process! Lovely cups and decorations too.
Happy T Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I suppose you know the place as you still live in the area, and probably recognised the lions. Tracey is of course my step daughter but after 31 years I consider her my daughter.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Lisca, I could't write on your blog the past 2 weeks, and on many others, too. Glad the furniture problem is solved. Happy T Day, Valerie

Jennybee said...

No blog for me but greatly enjoy reading yours .x

Divers and Sundry said...

How wonderful that the furniture can stay and bring somebody else some joy.

They're already putting out Christmas stuff here, too. I don't mind ;) The displays you show are gorgeous! That coffee shop looks like a good spot. Happy T Tuesday!

DVArtist said...

I'm happy to hear you found someone to take the furniture. Yes, in the US Christmas things started going up 3 weeks ago. Give me a break. LOL Glad you had such a nice time with your daughter. She sure is pretty. Don't work too hard.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I see you were in one of our favourite garden centres for our free Grow coffees! We're going tomorrow in fact! Yes Christmas has started in shops already and after Halloween there will be even more! Good to know that your Mum's furniture will be enjoyed by the new tenant. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx