Wednesday 1 June 2022

Food Wednesday - My first contribution

 Hi all! I've been reading blogs from Food Wednesday, and today I decided I'd contribute too. I love cooking and I'm always sharing what I cook, so why not join Food Wednesday?

My cooking is a mixture of Dutch (as I am Dutch), Italian (I lived in Italy for 15 years), English (I also lived in England for 20 years) and Spanish (which is where I live now).

This week I have been ill with the dreaded Covid. It was like a flu, but it did mean I was in bed and not really cooking anything. But of course there are things I can share with you. Like the pan I bought last week.




My hubby likes to make omelets and he then likes to put the whole pan under the grill. It has ruined the handle of my favorite frying pan, so we decided to buy a pan that can go in the oven with its handle. I am now the proud owner of a cast iron pan. I have used it a few times, but I think I should use it just for frying.  (I had made a sauce in it) The maintenance sounds really daunting. I wonder if I have made a mistake here. But my friend Kathy in Ozark swears by cast iron pans. I'm sure she will give me some tips.

I also made a dessert. (Not in the new pan, I might add) It is a Dutch thing:

It's called 'bitterkoekjespudding'. It is made of semolina: 750 ml/1,25 pint of milk with 60 grams of semolina and sugar to taste. I added some almond essence or drops of almond flavoring. Then I crumbled a handful of Amaretti biscuits and mixed that in too. If you want to be really decadent, you can add a splash of Amaretto liquor. It really is very nice.

I read that there is only going to be one Food Wednesday this month. So I hope to see you all next month.
Happy cooking!
Lisca



9 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Lisca, I am so happy you were able to join us for Food Wednesdays, was hoping you were feeling better from the covid
Most say not to wash your cast iron but I always do, but then I always heat it back up on the stove to dry it and also add just a bit of oil-I usually use olive oil-take a paper towel and wipe it all around the inside of the pan, and heat til worked in and if any extra oil just wipe it out-this will keep your cast iron seasoned ready to use, foods will not stick, and it won't get rusty. I pretty much only cook with cast iron.
Your semolina cake sounds good is your semolina made with wheat or corn?
I changed the food wednesdays to once a month since many are really busy in the summer months, and also there are many are link ups going on during the week too.
thanks so much for sharing with us for Food Wednesdays hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I have my grandmother's pan just like your new one, and it is really special. I read Kathy's comment and I always wash mine too, and then heat it back up on the stove after washing it. It's what my grandmother did. My pan must be 40 years old and still working well. Enjoy your pan. And I hope your flu symptoms aren't terrible and you're back up on your feet ASAP. Take care. hugs-Erika

Rain said...

Hi Lisca! That dessert sounds delicious, I would probably add some Amaretto to it for sure.I love that stuff! ☺ Congratulations on the cast iron pan. I have those on my wish list, as soon as the budget allows!!

kathyinozarks said...

I just remembered something when I was using my mini cast iron pan for a omelet this morning. You need to let cast iron cool down first before washing-it needs to be cold. so do Not plunge in hot soapy water while still hot-could crack

jinxxxygirl said...

I cannot say i've ever had that dessert but i would love to try it. I don't own a cast iron pan so no pointers here.. We used to have them when we did alot of camping.. I have an electric stove now that i cannot use cast iron.. Good to see you for Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb

Christine said...

Your dessert pudding cake looks so good! I am also daunted by cast iron pans.

A hot dig is a frankfurter, especially one served hot in a long, soft roll and topped with various condiments.

DVArtist said...

Years back my entire pots and pans including baking pans were cast iron. I sear by them. In a move they were lost and I have never replaced them. Once you get use to it you will love it or hate it, No in between on that. LOL Have a great day today.

LA Paylor said...

I am afraid of the cast iron pan... I had one that rusted and the care and feeding are beyond me but I will be anxious to learn from you. SO sorry you're sick

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had all my grandmother's cast iron after she died. She took excellent care of the entire set. One day I was cooking using one of the cast iron pans, and my hand went out from under me when I removed it from the stove. I went to a doctor who diagnosed my condition as carpal tunnel, but when they did the operation, they learned I was born with a rare form of arthritis, where there is no calcium around my joints. Needless to say, I had to give all the cast iron pans away. I could no longer lift them. I wish you luck with this new one, dear. Hope you are feeling better now.