Friday 10 June 2022

A Postcard a Day / Friday 10 June / Friday Smiles

 

Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again at the end of another week. It-s not been an easy week for me. As you know I have had Covid and then hubby, who is ill with bowel cancer, also caught it and was very ill indeed. But luckily we got over this. Hubby is recuperating and has been outside for the first time this afternoon (we just went to do a bit of shopping, but it was okay).

My postcard comes from Finland. It is a lovely poster of Imperial Airways:


It makes me think of old fashioned long-haul flights to exotic destinations. Wikipedia writes this:

Imperial Airways was the early British commercial long-range airline, operating from 1924 to 1939 and principally serving the British Empire routes to South AfricaIndiaAustralia and the Far East, including Malaya and Hong Kong


Passengers were typically businessmen or colonial administrators, most flights carried about 20 passengers or less. 
Accidents were frequent: in the first six years, 32 people died in seven incidents. Imperial Airways never achieved the levels of technological innovation of its competitors and was merged into the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) in 1939. BOAC in turn merged with the British European Airways (BEA) in 1974 to form British Airways.
They seem to advertise 'reliability', but the Wiki article mentions many accidents....

The stamp is really nice with a lot of sky and clouds which tie in nicely with the aviation theme.



As we have not been well, I don't have many photos from this week, but of course there have been highlights.
Hubby baked some pancakes the other day 
(and promptly was ill the next day because he probably ate too many!)



He also loves going to our plot, a five minute drive cross country and through a riverbed.  We have two greenhouses/polytunnels, but this one in the next picture is not being used yet. 

We have the greenhouses for a bit of shade. 
Our fruit tress, although young are doing very well:



The most prolific of the cherries are now covered with netting to prevent the birds from eating all the cherries.

Now it is time to go and link up with Annie at A Stitch In Time and share all our smiles.
Of course I will be putting some funnies (and thinkies) at the end of this post.

Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca













6 comments:

  1. Hi Lisca, hoping you both recover completely from covid, how awful for your husband. Love that you have greenhouse space in your garden-that's awesome Have a good Friday and weekend hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a tough week Lisca. I am happy to hear you are both on the mend. Be kind to yourselves and take time to recover fully.
    Lucky you to have your own cherry tree to harvest from soon. You, (Graham?) have done really well with your plot dspite all the health issues you have had to deal with.
    I saw some of your funnies on Facebook this week. I like new words so "Spuddle" caught my eye.
    Here's hoping that next week will have more smiles for you both. Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear you've both had a tough week....I hope you both bounce back and stay well. I often spuddle through my days....especially when I've been up half the night with my much suffering hubby.
    Hugs,
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you´re well again!
    And such a clever sign with the popcorn!
    Love the Kansas story, I think I´ve heard of this before, so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. I do like the card. Yes, the flour mills did do that. My mom had some dresses made with the sacks. Glad you are over the covid and recuperating. Graham's pancake looks pretty good. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I missed this post. I had been fighting my electricity going off, so that may be why I thought I had visited you.

    I love that postcard and the font used on the words. This was an interesting read, since these photos show how people used to be treated on airplanes. Meals, etc. were superb and served on real china, too. Now you have to pay for peanuts! Personally, I think Wikipedia got it wrong. That airline was known for its safety. I remember reading something about them several years ago. Check this out: https://www.historiccroydonairport.org.uk/history/civil-operations-1920-1939/

    Glad both you and Graham are on the mend and doing better. That is one big pancake.

    Wow, I miss cherries like that. We had a similar tree when I was growing up.

    Loved Paddington and spuddle. I live in Kansas, so of course I knew about the flour sack dresses. They command quite a price when you find them at auction these days.

    Again, sorry I missed your post on Friday, dear Lisca.



    ReplyDelete