Friday 3 June 2022

A Postcard A Day - Friday 3 June 2022- Friday Smiles

 Hello lovely ladies,

Here we are again writing Friday Smiles and thinking about those smiley moments and silver linings. Although I have been ill with Covid, but I can smile again as I'm feeling almost back to normal. I did a test this morning, hoping I would be negative and I could finally go out. But no such luck, I'm still positive, so my self isolation has to last a bit longer.

I had an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon. So when I ph'd to say I couldn't come in, they said they'd do a telephone consultation. And the good news is that I still have the all clear! That is certainly smile-worthy!

Smile worthy too is this postcard that I received last month. Heather, who sent me this card, had recently visited Morro Bay and commented she saw the Morro Rock but she didn't see any whales.

Wikipedia says this:
Morro Bay (MorroSpanish for "Hill") is a seaside city in San Luis Obispo County, California. Located on the Central Coast of California, the city population was 10,757, as of the 2020 census.

Morro Rock

Morro Rock is a 576 foot (176 m) high volcanic plug located at the entrance to the harbor. Originally, it was surrounded by water, but the northern channel was filled in to make the harbor. It was quarried from 1889 to 1969, and in 1968, it was designated a Historical Landmark.



The area around the base of Morro Rock is open to visitors, with parking lots and paths. Climbing the rock is prohibited due to risk of injury, and because it is a peregrine falcon reserve.

Morro Rock is one in a series of similar plugs that stretch in a line inland called the Nine Sisters.

Tourism is the city's largest industry, coexisting with the town's commercial fishery. A number of tourist attractions are found along the shoreline and the streets closest to it, especially the Embarcadero, including restaurants, shops and parks. Above is a picture of an antique shop.

The most popular beach is on the north side of Morro Rock, north of the harbor. There are also excellent beaches north and south of the town which are owned by the State of California.


The stamp is a pretty pink chrysanthemum. 


One thing that makes me smile constantly is my lovely hanging fuchsia:
It has grown even more abundantly since that photo was taken.
Then the other night we heard something go 'boom' in the night. And in the morning I found my lovely fuchsia on the floor!

You can see the pot has split and half the plant is missing. How sad. I was going to buy another plant pot on my way to my oncology appointment. But that will have to wait.

The next photo is one of our olive trees. It is flowering. Olive flowers are very tiny and don't look like much, but all our trees are flowering since we had them pruned a couple of years ago. So good news all round!

There isn't much growing on our plot as we haven't had the time to look after anything (spending so much time in Granada). But we did have some beetroot, that against the odds survived our neglect.

I cooked them in my Instant Pot and will eat them some time this week. We both love beetroot.

That is all from me this Friday. Of course I have some funnies and thinkies lined up for you at the end.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca












8 comments:

mamapez5 said...

An interesting lump of rock on your card. It is not an area of the world I have ever visited.
I do hope you can salvage at least part of your fuchsia. It was looking so beautiful. They are fairly tough plants so hopefully it will survive.
We love beetroots too, and we used to grow them in UK. These days we don't do much of that sort of gardening.
The olive tree at the back of us is very old and neglected, but it still manages to flower. Unfortunately those tiny flowers have pollen that really triggers my hayfever!
I am sorry you have had Covid. It is good that you are on the mend, and hopefully you will test negative soon.
Kate x

Mae Travels said...

Sorry you are still testing positive, but it's good to hear that you are feeling better! I hope you'll soon be entirely recovered.

I liked your write-up of Morro Bay. I love the undeveloped (or less developed) stretches of the California coast, and I've been to many of the beaches. I like to imagine how it was before the 19th century, just miles of headlands, then cliffs, then headlands, then beaches with a creek running through them. Glory!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I can imagine you were very pleased with the results you got from the oncologist. People think that the virus is over but there are still lots of people getting it here so we are still wearing masks when we go shopping to protect my mum hopefully. Your plants are coming on well but it's a shame about the Fuschia though I'm sure it will survive even with a bit missing. Loving the funnies especially the Snoopy one, I think I've heard something like that here. Take care and have a good weekend. Angela xXx

Annie said...

Sorry to hear you've had Covid...hope it's gone soon for you. Great news from the hospital. What a shame about your gorgeous fuschia...I hope it survives its fall.
Hugs,
Annie x

DVArtist said...

Ohhhh I am still laughing over grandmas boobs. That is just too funny. I am sorry you are still covid ill. Take it easy and care of yourself. I have beets in the garden too but it has been such a wet cold year things are growing slow. Did you just pressure cook them in the instant pot? If mine grow I will be pickling them too.

LA Paylor said...

not the fuchias! so delicate, little ballet dancers as I think of them. The jokes were so funny. I love beets and always have even as a young girl.

Mae Travels said...

I think I have solved the riddle of why I wasn’t being allowed to comment. I turned on something in settings called “Cross Website Tracking” and was allowed, while recently I have been unable to comment. This might help other bloggers too.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mae Travels said...

More info here: https://maefood.blogspot.com/2022/06/help-for-bloggers-who-cant-comment-on.html

best... mae