Tuesday 23 January 2024

A Postcard A Day - Tuesday 23 January 2024 - T for stamps and chatter

 


Hello lovely peeps, 

Happy Tuesday! I hope you are all well.

I have a postcard to show you which might bring back memories for some of you (older ladies).

Dancing the rock 'n roll with those skirts and petticoats. I remember dressing like that just about.  But I was born in '51 so at the tail end of the petticoats, and as I grew up, it was mini skirts for me. The picture on the card has clearly been taken in a mediterranean country like Italy. It could be Venice, who knows...   

The stamps are beautiful:

The stamp on the left is very nice but I have not been able to find any info about it.

The words translate as Caritas Pantry. Could it be what we call a food bank or a soup kitchen?

The middle stamp is this one:
This one is all about 'Peace'. The text (pokój najwyzsza wartosc ludzkosci) translates as: "Peace, the highest value of humanity"

It was issued together with this stamp about the Ukraine. 
I have just realised that the above stamp is from Lithuania, not Poland. After more digging I found out that practically every European country has a 'Peace' stamp.
The EUROPA stamp theme for 2023 aims to promote Peace - the universal value for all humanity. This was chosen to show solidarity with the postal administration and population of Ukraine in the incredibly challenging circumstances. A contest was held to select a common design to be used by all participating countries. Read more about it here.

The third stamp is very cute:

A commemorative postage stamp to mark the Kraków-Małopolska 2023 European Games has been unveiled here.

It prominently displays the Games mascots Krakusek the dragon and Sandra the salamander.

The mascots were designed by local children during a competition last year.

Legend has it a dragon lived under Kraków's Wawel Royal Castle, and the fire salamander can be found in the Małopolska region.

The Games slogan 'We are Unity' features in the background of the stamp.


European Olympic Committees President Spyros Capralos of Greece signed a large design of the postage stamp at its unveiling.

I haven't really much to report about my life here in Spain. On Tuesday my friend Kim and I went to have our nails done, while Kim's husband cooked our dinner and also put wheels under a chest of drawers, which was a bit of a struggle he told me later.

I went for a pink this time as it's a fun colour in the dark of the winter. I'm still feeling 'under the weather' with a back ache that is annoying, so I have decided not to do any gym or Pilates this week. I'm taking it easy.

Those of you who read my Friday posts will know that a technician came to take the washing machine door away to be repaired, and that I have bought a labelling machine that I'm trying to get to grips with. (I don't understand the instructions).
So far I've managed simple labels and have labeled quite a few of my herbs and spices.



On Thursday I really needed some groceries so I shopped locally. I ended up buying more than I thought I would and I ended up walking home with two heavy shopping bags. I shouldn't really have done that with a bad back, but done is done.
My friend Keren phoned me and we chatted for an hour. That really made me feel better. We also talked about visiting Lisbon in September. I'm excited about that.

Friday I had to go into town as I needed to collect the jigsaw puzzle I had framed and also the wall safe I had ordered:
The blue bits a packaging material. My friend Tam will make a hole in the wall this weekend, so I will have to take everything out of the dressing room!

I stopped for coffee at a bar as I often do when I'm in town:

And of course this can be my ticket to the T-Party, hosted by Elizabeth and Bluebeard. 

Saturday was a quiet day. My friend Dian came to visit, and I just stayed indoors. The whole village is partying as it is the fiesta of  San Sebastián, the patron saint. There has been lots going on all week. Fireworks and children's activities etc. They've closed down one street and built a huge marquee. Music is blaring, there are processions (on the Sunday I think) and I generally keep out of the way.

Sunday I went to church and stayed home the rest of the day. The weather is really nice and warm and I sat on the terrace in the sun with a drink. (Sorry to those who are having such awful weather. Here it is unseasonally warm and sunny).

Today, Monday, I stayed at home too. My back is feeling a bit better and I am intending to go to the gym tomorrow.

That was my week. Not very exciting and no photos. But then I didn't go anywhere.


Take care everyone,
Hugs,
Lisca
 






















13 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I was born in 1960 so I missed that style because by the time I was old enough to see fashion it was mini-skirts for me too. I always enjoy how you take us on a fun journey about the postcard. I'm glad to hear your back is starting to feel better. I think I need a label makers to label my paints. Your bottles will be much easier to get through now. I hope you have a great T day and enjoy your day at the gym. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

The labels on all your spices are impressive. Very neat looking. Mine are labeled (name & date) on masking tape in heavy marker, but by hand which is a bit sloppy.
I hope your back soon heals and returns to normal.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Even though I am a year younger than you, I do remember dancing the swing with my dad. My family was musical, and dancing was part of it too. Yes, later mini skirts and then disco. Fun times for me. You have been busy as usual. Love the pink fingernail polish. Have a lovely day.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such fabulous and interesting postcards this week, I always enjoy your accompanying facts 😊. Your nail polish is perfect for this time of year and I'd happily join you for a coffee. I hope your back is much better, take care ❤️. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Ooooh, I love that nail-polish, gorgeous colour. I must get my nails done sooner or later, it's just too cold here to go out without gloves, so perhaps I should wait for spring! Your coffee looks great, too. And nice that you have a trip to Lisbon to look forward to. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I was born in the early 70´s. So sadly I missed all the grown-ups fun!
But we had all the colorful stuff and clothes.
Thank you for teaching me about the 'Peace' stamp!
I have a labeling machine, somewhere, too, for "Junior"...
Have a great T-Day, hugs, enjoy the weather.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The 1980s are the years I most identify with, so I have only seen those skirts in photos.

The stamps are great. The one on the left may be from a set of 10 different designs called culinary heritage.

My label machine is not automatic, but one that looks like a spacecraft. You have to turn the dial to get each letter. The letters are plastic and have sticky on the back. I have a friend who has one like yours and she uses it all the time. I have to admit you have more herbs than I have, but many of mine are fresh. Spices are in jars and bottles like yours.

Your coffee looks good, but it could be a bit lighter (grin). Thanks for sharing your postcard, stamps, week, and coffee with us for T this Tuesday. I hope your back is better by now.

jinxxxygirl said...

Ordinary , non exciting days are still lovely to hear about because many find their daily life going by at blinding speeds.. My life with kids and grand kids and hubbys health issues stumbling along has been a little crazy.. Labeling machines are a pain in the **** We bought one then put it up and never used it.. and they are not cheap! Hope you feel better! Big Hugs! deb

Divers and Sundry said...

Swing is before my time, but it made a comeback here when my kids were teens and that was fun :) I like the pink nails. I've never used a label maker. Coffee! Yes! Happy T Tuesday

Carola Bartz said...

Hi Lisca, I'm a bit late to the party this week. I hope your back will heal real soon - backache is no fun at all, and I hope that some movement will help in the healing process. I like you spice and herbs drawer, that is quite impressive, and I'm sure that the labeling helps in finding the right one when you need it. My spices are all on a wooden rack that a friend made for me 25-30 years ago; it's sitting on my counter so I can quickly grab whatever I need. Your nail polish color is great, I like this shade of pink. I don't use nail polish - since I garden so much I keep my nails short. Your coffee looks delicious. Have a good week - Carola

Violetta said...

Dear Lisca, nice post cards and stamps that I´ve never seen before. And I always would join you to a cup of coffee. Have a good time in Spain
Violetta

Anonymous said...

I inherited some jitter-bug skirts like that from my Mum - she first noticed my Dad by his guffaws when she'd been press-ganged at last-minute into an after-work ping-pong match when on her way to a London jazz club - the ball bounced on the floor and lodged itself in her many petticoats so she had to shimmy to dislodge it. My Dad's offers to help her locate the ball almost killed their relationship before it started!

Anonymous said...

... Keren